Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Kona N

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Most the ones I see are base models.
They also will not be that common on the dealer lots.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You can buy a spare ECU for my Genesis g70 it's an additional $550. For the tune and ECU it is $1,800 without any additional options.

Most people tune them with a JB4. I will be doing neither.

https://www.lap3usa.com/product-page/lap3-ecu-tune

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
I will be doing neither as well. The spare ecu route is called bench tuning and it does not involve putting the car on a dyno and making on the fly updates since it has to be flashed out of the vehicle. I am waiting for a tuning solution that is like the Accessport. Something we can tune on the fly, from the OBDII port.

The JB4 and other piggyback units are doing well, but they are NOT long term solutions.

DoomsdayMelody

If its NOT AWD....its a complete

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
I mean, I don’t understand why you’d draw that conclusion. I would assume it would have identical running gear to the Veloster N. Given a front differential and a good set of tires I don’t see why you’d “need” AWD in a performance SUV since it’s lowered compared to a regular SUV so it’s not like anyone’s taking this thing off-road. Also, this is built on their subcompact platform, so any weight savings they can bring to the table is a welcome addition in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevinatfms

Why would you want torque vectoring when the N cars have eLSDs?
Because the current Hyundai eLSD only works on the front drive cars. If, and that is a big if, they include some type of helical LSD in the rear of the thing, adding TV to it would add a front to rear bias and work to bring both together. I highly doubt they are going to throw an eLSD into a rear housing for this SUV. It will be an OTS unit from one of the larger cars(they love to repurpose drivetrain stuff).

Has it been confirmed it will have the eLSD? If it has the 8 speed DCT like they state with a PTU added to bias power it may not have that eLSD. Hence a torque vectoring system would be a good way to "cheap" out a bit and make them cheaper to produce.

Alot of companies complement torque vectoring systems with mechanical LSD's. Ford has done it with the Mark 8 Fiesta ST using a Quaife LSD plus an updated torque vectoring strategy. Acura is another with the SH-AWD system in some models.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Has it been confirmed it will have the eLSD? If it has the 8 speed DCT like they state with a PTU added to bias power it may not have that eLSD. Hence a torque vectoring system would be a good way to "cheap" out a bit and make them cheaper to produce.
It has been confirmed to use the same, and I emphasize SAME, powertrain as the i30N. This 99.9% means no AWD. There is no provision for AWD on the i30N, or Veloster N. The 8spd N DCT transmission is not interchangeable with the 7spd standard DCT that is found in the AWD Kona and I highly doubt that Hyundai would adapt the weaker, non performance oriented, 7spd in for a potential AWD model. Plus they wouldn't be able to use the eLSD since it takes the place of part of an axle and the transfer case would occupy the same area. They aren't looking to have a WRX / STi fighter and the Kona N will likely be too low to have any useful utility off-road.

I wouldn't hold your breath for an AWD Kona N. I could be totally wrong (which would be cool), but I just don't see it happening.

kevinatfms

It has been confirmed to use the same, and I emphasize SAME, powertrain as the i30N. This 99.9% means no AWD. There is no provision for AWD on the i30N, or Veloster N. The 8spd N DCT transmission is not interchangeable with the 7spd standard DCT that is found in the AWD Kona and I highly doubt that Hyundai would adapt the weaker, non performance oriented, 7spd in for a potential AWD model. Plus they wouldn't be able to use the eLSD since it takes the place of part of an axle and the transfer case would occupy the same area. They aren't looking to have a WRX / STi fighter and the Kona N will likely be too low to have any useful utility off-road.

I wouldn't hold your breath for an AWD Kona N. I could be totally wrong (which would be cool), but I just don't see it happening.
Yet, they do offer a 2.5L turbocharged engine with THE SAME 8 speed wet clutch DCT in the Kia Sorento WITH all wheel drive. The D8F48W is available under the Hyundai/Kia brand name by Hyundai Transys in an all wheel drive version(albeit without the eLSD from what im reading). It is a very hush hush transmission choice which was just added to the new Kia Sorento.

Best part of it all? The Sorento is heavier, makes more horsepower than what people are projecting for the Kona N and the 2.5/2.0 models mate to the same bellhousing. That is a pretty easy solution for an OE to use existing powertrain parts available to cut down on costs.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Best part of it all? The Sorento is heavier, makes more horsepower than what people are projecting for the Kona N and the 2.5/2.0 models mate to the same bellhousing. That is a pretty easy solution for an OE to use existing powertrain parts available to cut down on costs.
Assuming the give you the provisions for mounting the rear subframe / differential assembly sure. Or are you talking about Hyundai doing it from the factory? I'm really telling you, being involved in the N world and all, I would be highly surprised if the Kona N was AWD.

If the 2.5/2.0s mount to the same bellhousings its a matter of time before someone stuffs a 2.5l block into a Veloster. Which I can't wait for.

kevinatfms

Assuming the give you the provisions for mounting the rear subframe / differential assembly sure. Or are you talking about Hyundai doing it from the factory? I'm really telling you, being involved in the N world and all, I would be highly surprised if the Kona N was AWD.

If the 2.5/2.0s mount to the same bellhousings its a matter of time before someone stuffs a 2.5l block into a Veloster. Which I can't wait for.
Im talking a factory car. Nothing aftermarket. The only things Hyundai has confirmed is 2.0L and 8 speed DCT in their press release. Nothing more, nothing less and i think that was for a specific reason.

The Kona is all ready available with AWD. A simple mount change on the rear diff or subframe for a model line should be cake walk. Especially for a performance model - look at the basic Elantra to Elantra Sport model lines. Entirely different rear suspensions just for a basic sport model. I can see them going HOG wild on an N branded car. The Veloster Turbo and the Veloster N are another where a ton of parts are changed or pulled from higher end models to keep in house engineering costs at a minimum - brakes and such.

The reason the 2.5 swap hasn't been done before? Support. There are less than 1% of the aftermarket companies compared to any other manufacturer. For some reason the performance aftermarket just isnt into the Korean twins. Itll be done some day just not until someone with some significant money and time wants to do it. Bill Smulo Engineering was big into the H aftermarket for years but pulled the plug. He was about the only company around that could have done it successfully. He also pioneered Hyundai aftermarket parts before realizing that no one wanted to pay the price for the parts. BSE folded and he went on to other projects, last i heard was GTR's.

And ive been a part of the Hyundai/Kia team before....have the original GDS factory training cert and all from 2004-2005. I was around when GDS first came out and trained in Allentown on it all. Still have a few buddies from that era and while i dont get all the news i do get some insight into what is going on.

kevinatfms

I will say that some of the mules in Europe do not show rear axle stubs. So that could be a telling clue. Or they could be covered up. Dont think ive seen a screenshot of an American mule running around yet?

If it does come with front wheel drive only i dont see it selling at all.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The reason the 2.5 swap hasn't been done before? Support. There are less than 1% of the aftermarket companies compared to any other manufacturer. For some reason the performance aftermarket just isnt into the Korean twins. Itll be done some day just not until someone with some significant money and time wants to do it. Bill Smulo Engineering was big into the H aftermarket for years but pulled the plug. He was about the only company around that could have done it successfully. He also pioneered Hyundai aftermarket parts before realizing that no one wanted to pay the price for the parts. BSE folded and he went on to other projects, last i heard was GTR's.

And ive been a part of the Hyundai/Kia team before....have the original GDS factory training cert and all from 2004-2005. I was around when GDS first came out and trained in Allentown on it all. Still have a few buddies from that era and while i dont get all the news i do get some insight into what is going on.
Tell me about it. We have like 5 companies willing to make parts for the car / support the aftermarket. Parts are extremely expensive, compared to a Fiesta ST anyway. Cobb seems to think its not worth the time dealing with the ECU to release an accessport for the car coupled with the fact that there are so little on the road (yet they bothered to make a GTR AP). Its really saddening because Hyundai is really stepping up with some of their cooler stuff and just no one is going to support the cars. I've already had to purchase a bunch of stuff from Korea and Europe since they have all the cool stuff. There is still some stigma about Hyundai / Kia here and people just won't get over it. With no way to tune the 2.5 except full stand alone, it makes it senseless to do.

If it does come with front wheel drive only i dont see it selling at all.
I think it'll sell. I think a large part of the market finds the Veloster "funky" or "odd" so they don't consider it based on that. The Elantra N and Kona N represent two categories of cars that Americans buy, sport sedans and sporty SUVs. I wouldn't be surprised if the Veloster ends up going away entirely in favor of the Elantra N, which will probably sell better.

Fiestig

I am kinda liking the direction of quite a few of the future cars ... However, unless someone drops a Cayman GT4 in my driveway, I cannot imagine enjoying driving something as much as I enjoy my FiST. That is why it is so hard to consider alternatives at any point in time. With that said, The Kona looks pretty good and whether it goes like stink with a 10yr 100K warranty in it's back pocket is yet to be seen, but I like the quirkiness of the Puma ST appearance a bit more. Lets be honest though.. Kona is probably the only horse in the race since the odds of Ford reversing their sales direction is pretty unlikely.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Its gonna be around 35k I've seen....That indicates AWD money
The Veloster N is 36k with the DCT. It isn't AWD. The price does not necessarily reflect AWD.

Based off that video...Its gonna be AWD ......Why would you put a shot of it being in inclement weather and then going off the beaten path on a trail? Food for thought.....
The Fiesta ST had similar marketing videos. It was marketed as a fun "grocery getter" / rally car. FWD cars can still be good in bad weather and offroad.