Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Kona N

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Still don't understand you guys and your obsession with this car being AWD lol

Looking at the photos, it COULD be but I still think its unlikely. The current setup in the Kona places the diff dead centre of the car, the little lumps in the underside of the Kona N are offset to the passenger side. It looks like exhaust routing to me, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Looking at the photos, it COULD be but I still think its unlikely. The current setup in the Kona places the diff dead centre of the car, the little lumps in the underside of the Kona N are offset to the passenger side. It looks like exhaust routing to me, but I could be wrong.
I don't care either way. AWD would make for a cool dig monster, but the Veloster N is very capable with a lsd. I think this Kona is just a cool option for those who want more room and enjoy something that's exciting to drive. I would consider one, but the booger has my heart. 3 pedals are hard to part with.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I don't care either way. AWD would make for a cool dig monster, but the Veloster N is very capable with a lsd. I think this Kona is just a cool option for those who want more room and enjoy something that's exciting to drive. I would consider one, but the booger has my heart. 3 pedals are hard to part with.
They offer a Regular Kona in AWD. So I guess ....Why wouldn't this be? Come to think of it. If you look at those most recent pics....you can see something differential like in the rear.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Business6

Business6

Thread Starter #87
Not bad as far as SUVs/CUVs go, but I still really dislike that 'squinting Eastwood' LED junk.

(Which I also cannot stand on the Citroen C3 either. [:(])
Headlight housings should continue their current disappearance with LEDs becoming more and more of the industry standard.

Yeah it's related to the top three trim levels of the Kona (which has like 8 trims or some shit) having the 1.6T AWD set up. Like that model would, despite being down 100hp and a lot of torque, easily give a FWD Kona N fits up to a point when launching. Seems like one step back, two forward if it is FWD only.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
If you look at those most recent pics....you can see something differential like in the rear.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
It's not really in the right place to be a diff, it COULD be the exhaust routing around the diff, but again I wouldn't hold your breath. It would be super cool to have this start at 35k, be AWD, and 8spd DCT. But if you look at the Veloster N (which shares a platform with the Kona & i30), its 36k and FWD. Why wouldn't they put AWD in it and make an STi fighter if it could be done? (likely because it doesn't need it to compete with it but even so...).

kevinatfms

It's not really in the right place to be a diff, it COULD be the exhaust routing around the diff, but again I wouldn't hold your breath. It would be super cool to have this start at 35k, be AWD, and 8spd DCT. But if you look at the Veloster N (which shares a platform with the Kona & i30), its 36k and FWD. Why wouldn't they put AWD in it and make an STi fighter if it could be done? (likely because it doesn't need it to compete with it but even so...).
Hyundai's chief engineer stated it couldnt be done without a complete overhaul of the back of a Veloster at SEMA a few years ago. It share little to nothing with a Kona as far as the B-pillar back.

Same reason they wont bring the I30N here...it will cannibalize the Veloster N into non-existence. Instead they saw an opening for a sedan....which i still think is a MASSIVE mistake.

The Veloster N competes with the Focus ST, Civic Si and Golf GTI. The STI is in another class of vehicle and competes with the Golf R and Civic Type R.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hyundai's chief engineer stated it couldnt be done without a complete overhaul of the back of a Veloster at SEMA a few years ago. It share little to nothing with a Kona as far as the B-pillar back.

Same reason they wont bring the I30N here...it will cannibalize the Veloster N into non-existence. Instead they saw an opening for a sedan....which i still think is a MASSIVE mistake.
You have a point, though I'm sure someone would find a way to do it lol. I have a feeling we won't be getting a 3rd generation Veloster, the Elantra N is more tailored to the US market and is essentially a 4 door version of the I30N. There is also an I30N Fastback offered in other countries, I'd have 100% bought that over the Veloster N. Unfortunately we do not have a US counterpart for the I20, which means we will never get the I20N. But where there is a will there is a way, Ford did it with the Focus RS, it could be done to the Veloster.

The Veloster N competes with the Focus ST, Civic Si and Golf GTI. The STI is in another class of vehicle and competes with the Golf R and Civic Type R.
I disagree, the N competes with the Golf R and CTR, the reviews most often compare it to those vs anything else. The N far outstrips the GTI and Si, the FoST is no more and therefore is not a competitor, the Veloster Turbo competes within that class of car.

kevinatfms

I disagree, the N competes with the Golf R and CTR, the reviews most often compare it to those vs anything else. The N far outstrips the GTI and Si, the FoST is no more and therefore is not a competitor, the Veloster Turbo competes within that class of car.
Its a mid ground performance car. Its not quite as fast as the CTR/Golf R but its slightly faster than the cars in the lower bracket such as Civic Si and GTI(although the new Mk8 version is actually more powerful than the N).

So i do see where youre coming from but also dont think the N can compete with the CTR or Golf R. Both are significantly more evolved than the N in both suspension tuning and power(while not alot, it makes a massive difference when it counts).

The Veloster turbo isnt even in the same league as even the Fiesta ST let alone the GTI and Si. They are pathetically slow even in R-spec form.

Its a mid ground performance car. Its not quite as fast as the CTR/Golf R but its slightly faster than the cars in the lower bracket such as Civic Si and GTI(although the new Mk8 version is actually more powerful than the N).

So i do see where youre coming from but also dont think the N can compete with the CTR or Golf R. Both are significantly more evolved than the N in both suspension tuning and power(while not alot, it makes a massive difference when it counts).

The Veloster turbo isnt even in the same league as even the Fiesta ST let alone the GTI and Si. They are pathetically slow even in R-spec form.
I agree, the Veloster N is on the same footing as the CTR, but I don’t even know why people act like the Si and GTI are competitors. The Si is significantly slower (straight line speed) than a GTI, and I know Honda does wonderful chassis but realistically the difference between the Si and the GTI are like the performance differences between the FiST and the GTI. I mean they don’t even really compete in the same pricing bracket. If anything the GTI is kind of in a weird spot since it’s between the current batch of Uberhatches (like the CTR, the N, and the Golf R) in terms of performance and the lower ~200 HP batch of entry level sport compacts like the Veloster/Elantra sport/turbo/N-line, Civic Si, and the late Fiesta ST. With the Focus ST also out of the market that leaves the GTI as the last mid tier hot hatch, at least until the GR Corolla arrives, but something tells me Toyota is going to target Veloster N sales with that, since Hyundai saw a pretty big sales bump with the intro of the Veloster N.

I do find it a bit ironic you think the Veloster Turbo doesn’t compete with a Fiesta ST. Similar power, similar weight, similar engine sizing, and similar suspension setups, at least until the 2nd gen Veloster launched with IRS on the turbo models. Realistically the updated Veloster Turbo should be marginally faster than the Fiesta ST, although I will admit I haven’t driven one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Realistically the updated Veloster Turbo should be marginally faster than the Fiesta ST, although I will admit I haven’t driven one.

I haven't driven one either but they must not be nearly as great or fun as the FiST, because we've not seen hype like the FiST brought?

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account

I think you're looking at this on paper. I can tell you from firsthand experience, the Veloster N is significantly faster than the Civic Si stock. It is marginally faster than the Mk7.5 GTI stock, and it is marginally slower than a CTR stock. The Golf R is slower than the N as well. You'll find that the N is also only marginally less capable on the track, but infinitely better to live with on a daily basis so that is a trade off, but 9/10 times they behave the same on the track its all on the driver.

The current gen VT is not pathetically slow, its very very similar to the Fiesta. One of my friends traded his ST in for one and he likes it, but he misses the playfulness of the ST, however he says its much faster without a tune vs the ST without a tune.

I haven't driven one either but they must not be nearly as great or fun as the FiST, because we've not seen hype like the FiST brought?
People see that its a Hyundai and automatically think its garbage. It was rated one of the most fun cars of the year last year.

ronmcdon

I do find it a bit ironic you think the Veloster Turbo doesn’t compete with a Fiesta ST. Similar power, similar weight, similar engine sizing, and similar suspension setups, at least until the 2nd gen Veloster launched with IRS on the turbo models. Realistically the updated Veloster Turbo should be marginally faster than the Fiesta ST, although I will admit I haven’t driven one.

actually not similar specs. Fiesta is some 400-500 lbs lighter, wheelbase around 6" shorter. My initial guess was that the fiesta was offensively taller than the Veloster N, but it's not too terrible at 2" more.

Before I decided on buying my fiesta last year, did also consider the veloster n and the ND. CTR too if not for deplorable adm still. Chose the Fiesta bc not likely we are going to get a capable lightweight fwd car that had the potential to be super fun street car. Short of going for an overpriced 90's civic, integra or something similar would be hard to beat a fiesta ST and those older japanese fwd cars don't rotate so well either.

would actually be really interested to see how the fiesta st compares to an evo 8 or 9 on the street and track (sadly missed that train and no way going to spend what they go for now).

but yeah, really like the veloster n too. not being passive aggressive but going to try and convince my 70 yr old mom to get a DCT version. she had a '17 tt-s before and misses having a lighter fun car to scoot around daily.

People see that its a Hyundai and automatically think its garbage. It was rated one of the most fun cars of the year last year.
I'm not one of those people. I was SUPER close to getting the Veloster N after ditching my FoRS but didn't like the color choices and red accents plus the FiST is a better value IMO, was over $10k cheaper, and has better aftermarket support. I'm happy with my decision. :D

actually not similar specs. Fiesta is some 400-500 lbs lighter, wheelbase around 6" shorter. My initial guess was that the fiesta was offensively taller than the Veloster N, but it's not too terrible at 2" more.

Before I decided on buying my fiesta last year, did also consider the veloster n and the ND. CTR too if not for deplorable adm still. Chose the Fiesta bc not likely we are going to get a capable lightweight fwd car that had the potential to be super fun street car. Short of going for an overpriced 90's civic, integra or something similar would be hard to beat a fiesta ST and those older japanese fwd cars don't rotate so well either.

would actually be really interested to see how the fiesta st compares to an evo 8 or 9 on the street and track (sadly missed that train and no way going to spend what they go for now).

but yeah, really like the veloster n too. not being passive aggressive but going to try and convince my 70 yr old mom to get a DCT version. she had a '17 tt-s before and misses having a lighter fun car to scoot around daily.
Based on what I’m reading from car and driver they put the Fiesta ST and Veloster turbo within about 180lbs, (which sounds significant until you realize the Veloster just has a larger tire and wheel package at 225/40R18) of each other. While the 2nd gen Veloster does have a comparatively longer wheel base, the 1st gen was literally the same platform as the subcompact Hyundai Accent which, while large for a subcompact, still competed in the same segment.