Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Let's see your shift knobs!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Boomba...great piece...very tasty

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am pretty sure you can ask someone like WClathewerks to make a custom extension, he made my custom 4" long piston knob in TI. getting the "ST" to line up like that requires either thread lock or some form of sorcery. lol

I wish I had a pic but I am not at my car right now.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
So short shifters are a thing of the past, and now we want long shifters? I don't get it. Why would you want to increase the throw of the shifter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I think the idea is to have the lever close(r) to the steering wheel, so that one does not have to waste more time moving their right hand a greater distance.
I'm guessing the theory is that this more than makes up for the longer throw travel. [dunno]
(There must be something to it, since every race/rally/RX vehicle which is still required to use a floor mounted shifter, vs. steering wheel mounted paddles, on their sequential gearboxes has a VERY high shift lever, but of course those drivers do not have to move it in an H pattern, only towards and away from themselves. ;) )

DangerMouse

So short shifters are a thing of the past, and now we want long shifters? I don't get it. Why would you want to increase the throw of the shifter.

I use a mountune quick shift and I have a shifter extension as well. For me it's a comfort thing, with the stock shifter height I feel like I'm reaching down too far to shift, it still isn't perfect but it is much better. Now if I could do something about the arm rest.

felopr

^^^I think the idea is to have the lever close(r) to the steering wheel, so that one does not have to waste more time moving their right hand a greater distance.
I'm guessing the theory is that this more than makes up for the longer throw travel. [dunno]
(There must be something to it, since every race/rally/RX vehicle which is still required to use a floor mounted shifter, vs. steering wheel mounted paddles, on their sequential gearboxes has a VERY high shift lever, but of course those drivers do not have to move it in an H pattern, only towards and away from themselves. ;) )
Your idea is correct. I used to have something like this on my track civic. The point is to shorten the time your hand is off the steering wheel. A very popular and cheap setup was to buy a short shifter that shortens the throw and put a extender, the result was a throw similar or same as to stock (anything faster would just eat syncros anyway) and the shifter was like a inch away from the steering wheel.
An extender on our cars it would be a good idea if you autox or track the car but i wouldnt do it onless you have some sort of short shifter already apply to it, either the boomba short shifter level/shift mechanism or the short shifter plate that you attach to the tranny, because the throw on the fiesta st is a little long imo

Your idea is correct. I used to have something like this on my track civic. The point is to shorten the time your hand is off the steering wheel. A very popular and cheap setup was to buy a short shifter that shortens the throw and put a extender, the result was a throw similar or same as to stock (anything faster would just eat syncros anyway) and the shifter was like a inch away from the steering wheel.
An extender on our cars it would be a good idea if you autox or track the car but i wouldnt do it onless you have some sort of short shifter already apply to it, either the boomba short shifter level/shift mechanism or the short shifter plate that you attach to the tranny, because the throw on the fiesta st is a little long imo
I am quite use to my knob that brings the shifter approx 3 inches higher than stock, it was really uncomfortable and clumsy to get to 5th gear, i am a "large clothing size" build 5'11" guy, and seriously it was harder/slower for me to reach down and push it to 5th.

While this does add approximately 20-25% more throw to the stock shift feeling, I often feel that "fast shifting" is more technique than physical throw of the shifter, but then again I don't race, so maybe I am just full of myself and my technique. lol

I think ideally you'd want to extend to reduce reach, while not extending to the point that it defeats your short shifter.
the actual motion of reaching for the shifter is often much longer than the 1-2 inch push to get it into the next gear in my opinion anyway...