Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Light Weight Wheels and why, add yours to the list, read the requirements first

Just got my 2014 FiST on stock wheels. I live by some rough pavement so I'm looking for more sidewall- by this thread, it seems like a lightweight 15x8 is the way to go. (Thanks to everyone for the years of input here!)

Does anything need to be modified to run an 8" wide wheel? What offset should I be looking for on a 15x8/any advice how to search for a wheel that fits? Tirerack and the like will only show me 7" widths. I'm a bit new at this so I'm hesitant to go to 4x100 as I have no idea what that entails.

FYI this is mostly for twisty back roads, I do a fair amount of highway miles as well and want to try autocross. (Realize this is perhaps more relevant to tire selection, will figure that out once I've landed on a wheel)

Just got my 2014 FiST on stock wheels. I live by some rough pavement so I'm looking for more sidewall- by this thread, it seems like a lightweight 15x8 is the way to go. (Thanks to everyone for the years of input here!)

Does anything need to be modified to run an 8" wide wheel? What offset should I be looking for on a 15x8/any advice how to search for a wheel that fits? Tirerack and the like will only show me 7" widths. I'm a bit new at this so I'm hesitant to go to 4x100 as I have no idea what that entails.

FYI this is mostly for twisty back roads, I do a fair amount of highway miles as well and want to try autocross. (Realize this is perhaps more relevant to tire selection, will figure that out once I've landed on a wheel)

I wouldn't rule out a 16 either, mine is plenty comfy on the 16x8 Deks. The ride quality improvement with anything both smaller diameter and lighter than the OEM wheels is pretty significant on these cars.

I wouldn't rule out a 16 either, mine is plenty comfy on the 16x8 Deks. The ride quality improvement with anything both smaller diameter and lighter than the OEM wheels is pretty significant on these cars.
Thanks- any downsides to the 8" width wheels? Do they just... fit?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Even an 8" wide 17 fits fine, as long as you don't go bigger than a 215/40 on them, use less than a 40ET, or slam the car to the ground. [wink]

I think this might be the answer. Looks like these have a 40mm offset- do they sit flush with the fender? What width tire do you have?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I think this might be the answer. Looks like these have a 40mm offset- do they sit flush with the fender? What width tire do you have?
They really are the best looking (as well as light/fairly strong) wheels for these cars in that size.
The only other 16x8 which I like the aesthetics of more are the Braid Fullrace As, but those are slightly heavier, and more than twice the co$t. [:(]

Lays

I have not. I already had 15x7 and now 16x8 wheels. If i ever bend one of these two sets ill replace them with some Braid wheels.
Which 15x7's did you have? I want a set of 15x8 but can't find them anywhere, I may settle for a 7 wide, even though the fitment will probably be goofy with my camber :(

They really are the best looking (as well as light/fairly strong) wheels for these cars in that size.
The only other 16x8 which I like the aesthetics of more are the Braid Fullrace As, but those are slightly heavier, and more than twice the co$t. [:(]
Are you on them now? What size tire do you have on them if so?

Wish they came in matte grey, as I think that would look best with kona blue, but I could live with black.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Are you on them now? What size tire do you have on them if so?

Wish they came in matte grey, as I think that would look best with kona blue, but I could live with black.
I have TWO sets of Dekagrams currently;

My daily driver set is bronze with 205/50-16 Nitto Neo Gen 'all seasons' on them (but I might go to a 205/45 when these are gone, unless someone offers up a UHP all season in a 215/45-16 before then).

My summer/max performance set is satin black with not yet mounted up Yokohama A052s in a 225/45-16 size.

205/45/16s looking cheap as hell!

Any problems stretching them over 8" wheels?

Have you run any 16x7 wheels? Wondering if you lose too much handling to sidewall flex... looking at some OZ ultraleggeras.

Appreciate all your input- first time buying aftermarket wheels and I'm a little skittish.

Lays

Have you run any 16x7 wheels? Wondering if you lose too much handling to sidewall flex... looking at some OZ ultraleggeras.

Appreciate all your input- first time buying aftermarket wheels and I'm a little skittish.
The sidewall stretch is a good thing for handling, helps with turn in and responsiveness.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

I've never run any 16x7 wheels on this car, my winter/rally working wheels are 15x7s with a 195/60-15 on them.

Actually, the 205/50 Neo Gens appear to be pulled in (the total opposite of stretch) at the bead/side wall, even on 8" wide wheels, such is the section width (and maybe tread width as well?) of those Nittos.

My local installers, (except the one local tuner shop who did the installation) ALL balked, or just flat out refused to put any 205 on an 8" wide wheel, 45 OR 50 series.
But most others on here have not had that problem at all, in their locales.

But as stated above, there is no actual functional problem with putting a 205/45 on an 8" wide wheel, save for less road cushioning, and potentially a greater chance of wheel rash from curb scrapes.

I've never run any 16x7 wheels on this car, my winter/rally working wheels are 15x7s with a 195/60-15 on them.

Actually, the 205/50 Neo Gens appear to be pulled in (the total opposite of stretch) at the bead/side wall, even on 8" wide wheels, such is the section width (and maybe tread width as well?) of those Nittos.

My local installers, (except the one local tuner shop who did the installation) ALL balked, or just flat out refused to put any 205 on an 8" wide wheel, 45 OR 50 series.
But most others on here have not had that problem at all, in their locales.

But as stated above, there is no actual functional problem with putting a 205/45 on an 8" wide wheel, save for less road cushioning, and potentially a greater chance of wheel rash from curb scrapes.
Any reason you don't have 225s for daily other than cost? Fuel consumption a little worse I imagine?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
From what I've heard from some serious track guys, 205 on an 8 wide is actually better than 225s.
I can’t deny my 205’s on 8‘s really had turn in though I am not sure I am sacrificing much if anything with 215’s. I could say 225‘s would probably change it feel wise though.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Any reason you don't have 225s for daily other than cost? Fuel consumption a little worse I imagine?
Mainly because every single tire made in that size is either a 100, or 200 tread wear super sticky gumball, which besides co$ting much more (especially the exorbitantly priced A052s), being useless/ruined if used in below 40*F temps, and wearing at three times or more the rate of UHP all seasons/summers, they will pick up every little bit of garbage scrap shrapnel on the roads, and puncture themselves. [:(]

That being said, if I do ever mount up those A052s on the Dekas (and not sell the whole deal), I will use them on the street for very limited summer use, just like I do/have done with the RS-RRs on the 1.2s. [wink]

Thanks for all the input everyone, this is very helpful.

Think I'm going to go with the deks and UHP all seasons, likely 205/45/16 BFG G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S PLUS