Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Limp mode temps?

Hey guys,

I'm trying to track my Fiesta more, and seeing as how I'm in Texas heat is definitely an issue. At my last (and first) track day I had issues with getting into limp mode and had to cut my sessions short. I'm looking into the possibility of upgrading my radiator and getting an oil cooler (Although I'm really wanting to just do one, not both if I can stand it... I know I probably won't) and was wondering if anyone knew the documented temperatures the car activates limp mode at so I can start documenting what I'm hitting and goals to stay under.

Cheers,
Waffleophagus

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
No possibility with the Radiator....especially where you are at and wanna Auto-x. Oil cooler not so much IMO. GO MOUNTUNE or go home in the Radiator arena.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Waffleophagus
Thread Starter #3
I imagine that'll be the case from what everyone's told me. That said, I'm actually really trying to focus on track driving and not AutoX, so the amount of time at high engine stress is gonna be a bit higher. Thanks for the suggestion! But I was actually still really curious to look into and see if anyone has documented the thresholds for the engine so I can better know what is tolerable and what isn't without just guessing. So does anyone know what the temps are where the engine goes into limp mode?

Last edited:
Not sure about limp mode but the fan temps are below, which may assist. These can apparently be altered by your tuner.
Temp vs Radiator Fan Speeds are:
82C / 180°F 0%
88C / 190°F 3%
99C / 210°F 3%
102C / 215°F 15%
104C / 220°F 30%
110C / 230°F 100%

Can't remember where I saw it, but I think limp mode starts at 236.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Not sure about limp mode but the fan temps are below, which may assist. These can apparently be altered by your tuner.
Temp vs Radiator Fan Speeds are:
82C / 180°F 0%
88C / 190°F 3%
99C / 210°F 3%
102C / 215°F 15%
104C / 220°F 30%
110C / 230°F 100%
Wow only 30% up until 230F, thats a little unnerving lol. Call me old school but I dont like seeing anything above 190 on any vehicle. I have oil temp and coolant temp on my AP atm and watching the oil hit 210 and coolant hit 198 in 60 deg weather was making me nervous.

Wow only 30% up until 230F, thats a little unnerving lol. Call me old school but I dont like seeing anything above 190 on any vehicle. I have oil temp and coolant temp on my AP atm and watching the oil hit 210 and coolant hit 198 in 60 deg weather was making me nervous.
Yes it seems a bit like too little too late. I guess that is how they keep fuel efficiency high and emissions low, but it’s a risk with the entire Ecoboost range.
You’re aware that the oil temp on the AP is only an approximation from the coolant temp? There’s no dedicated oil temp sender unit.

OP
Waffleophagus
Thread Starter #9
You’re aware that the oil temp on the AP is only an approximation from the coolant temp? There’s no dedicated oil temp sender unit.
After I had my overheating issues on track I started reading a ton on this subject and read that once. I've got coolant temp now on my AP live reading and am probably ordering the Mountune radiator this week. Thanks for clarifying though! Its a good reminder to have.

Yes it seems a bit like too little too late. I guess that is how they keep fuel efficiency high and emissions low, but it’s a risk with the entire Ecoboost range.
I actually did not know, good info! With all the other sensors it has I just assumed it had an oil temp sensor, actually kind of odd that it doesn't lol

This is great info, I’ll be keeping my eye on water temp and less on oil temp now that I know it’s based on water temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't remember where I saw it, but I think limp mode starts at 236.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I hit 235 at the track this weekend and no limp mode so it could definitely be 236 haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk