Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

P0246 Wastegate Solenoid A High (Limp Mode)

So one day i was randomly driving while on the cobb ots stage 2 tune and my car went into limp mode and popped the code p0246 wastegate solenoid A high. At this time my car had a mishimoto intercooler and a catback exhaust and a cobb intake. So I cleared the code and started my car and it ran fine, no limp mode. It ran fine for about a week and a half and then the code popped up again and limpmode. So i cleared it again and it ran fine for about 3 days. Then it popped the code again, i thought i had a loose sensor or something so i went under the car and unplugged the sensor and plugged it back in. Then boom it ran for about 3 weeks no problem and then it started popping the code constantly. Id reset the code and drive for like 20 feet and it would pop it again. I soon determined it was a faulty sensor, so i replaced it and at the same time i replaced it i tuned my car with a stratified tune. Then after that my car ran beautifully for 2 months, no problem, no limp mode, full boost.Then one day the code popped back up, so i cleared it and it went away for about a week , then popped up again. Around this time i installed a catless downpipe. From then on the code started popping up like crazy again. So i brought in my car to ford untuned and they said it was a bad solenoid. I told them i had already replaced it and that its just gonna happen again. So they replaced it and i got the car back, i didnt even leave the lot and the code popped up and put my car in limp mode. I brought it back in and they said its probably cause i need it tuned and they wouldnt be able to accurately diagnose it since my car is modified. So i brought it to another ford that has a better reputation and they said the same thing "probably a tuning issue." So i talked to a mechanic that is very well know and knows his way around performance cars and he said the same exact thing "probably needs a tune." The thing is it is tuned, its just not tuned for a downpipe, is that really whats causing p0246 to pop up and put my car in limp mode? Do i need to get my car tuned for the catless dp in order for the code to stop popping up?

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I found this interesting on a page about that code:
Common mistakes when diagnosing the P0246 code

Diagnostic errors may include replacing the wastegate solenoid without inspecting the rest of the system, such as the wastegate door and linkage. If the wastegate door is stuck, or connectors or wiring are compromised, replacing the solenoid may only result in continued failure.

In addition, it’s important not to overlook any boost pressure sensor codes that are present along with P0246. If one is present, this should be repaired prior to performing any repairs on the wastegate solenoid A circuit.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Why did you even waste your money on a catless downpipe? It's a proven fact that you lose power on a FiST with a catless downpipe.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
M
Thread Starter #4
Why did you even waste your money on a catless downpipe? It's a proven fact that you lose power on a FiST with a catless downpipe.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
For flamy bois lmao, losing power in a 200hp car doesn’t mean a whole lot to me.... sorry to break it to you but fiestas are slow

OP
M
Thread Starter #5
I found this interesting on a page about that code:
Thanks for the link! Definitely need to test the wastegate itself to see if it’s stuck, as for the wiring.... that’s gonna kick my ass. But that’s what I really think it is, a compromised or spliced wiring harness. Appreciate you!