Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Loss of boost.

Stew73

Hi, new to the forum, even though I've owned my Fiesta ST for nearly 4 years.

I have recently had a Peron st1+ remap, dyno, intercooler upgrade, short shift kit fitted and air intake upgrade on my 2014 ST. First 100 or so miles it ran like a dream, however it soon started playing up, intercooler hose blew off, replaced all lower hoses with aluminium ones, now I can hear the turbo spooling up but with no power being delivered to the engine, it actually sounds like someone blowing through a straw.

Any hints or tips would be great.

Cheers.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's a boost leak. You say you replaced the lower hoses with aluminum? Never heard of that. Is that some sort of kit you bought? The aftermarket hoses I've seen are all made of silicone. They need to be flexible because the engine moves around when you accelerate and decelerate.
If you have aluminum tubes with silicon couplings, then that's a lot of hose clamps, and the more clamps you have, the more likely it is to leak. If you still have the stock hoses, I'd put those back on and make sure they're good and tight.

OP
S

Stew73

Thread Starter #3
It's a boost leak. You say you replaced the lower hoses with aluminum? Never heard of that. Is that some sort of kit you bought? The aftermarket hoses I've seen are all made of silicone. They need to be flexible because the engine moves around when you accelerate and decelerate.
If you have aluminum tubes with silicon couplings, then that's a lot of hose clamps, and the more clamps you have, the more likely it is to leak. If you still have the stock hoses, I'd put those back on and make sure they're good and tight.
Thanks, it actually makes sense, yes there are a lot of clamps and it does sound like a boost leak, the stock hoses expanded far to much, resulting in loss of boost, are silicone hoses the way to go?

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
A lot of people use the silicone, but they don't really affect performance much, if at all. They're just a higher quality hose. The stock ones are good enough for anything but a race car or maybe a big turbo car.
Are the aluminum ones part of a kit you got?

OP
S

Stew73

Thread Starter #5
A lot of people use the silicone, but they don't really affect performance much, if at all. They're just a higher quality hose. The stock ones are good enough for anything but a race car or maybe a big turbo car.
Are the aluminum ones part of a kit you got?
I asked my mechanic to source the lower hoses for me, he came back with 2 options, standard silicone hoses and new to the market aluminium ones which were a bit more expensive, I opted for the aluminium ones, but they do clunk on start up and it looks like they leak, I will be changing to silicone very soon.