Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Loss of boost, poor idle and jerky throttle response

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I was driving on the highway today and after about 30 minutes my fiesta all of the sudden lost boost (I could only make 1lb) and it started being jerky when I shifted or let off the throttle. I thought it was a vacuum or boost leak, but it went away after I turn the car off for a couple minutes.
My car has a p0238 and p025e code at the moment and earlier I had a p0236 code. All these codes share the boost pressure sensor as a possible source so I bought a new one to replace it. To me, it seems like the engine isn't getting some of the information it needs to run correctly causing it to be jerky. Any tips for what to diagnose would be appreciated and I will update if I find a solution.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I was driving on the highway today and after about 30 minutes my fiesta all of the sudden lost boost (I could only make 1lb) and it started being jerky when I shifted or let off the throttle. I thought it was a vacuum or boost leak, but it went away after I turn the car off for a couple minutes.
My car has a p0238 and p025e code at the moment and earlier I had a p0236 code. All these codes share the boost pressure sensor as a possible source so I bought a new one to replace it. To me, it seems like the engine isn't getting some of the information it needs to run correctly causing it to be jerky. Any tips for what to diagnose would be appreciated and I will update if I find a solution.
Check hotside intercooler to turbo hose*

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #3
Check hotside intercooler to turbo hose*

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
All my hoses are fine.
I cleaned these two sensors, I'll report back if that helps. I'm doing a bunch of other stuff to the car, so it won't be running for a couple days.

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #4
All my hoses are fine.
I cleaned these two sensors, I'll report back if that helps. I'm doing a bunch of other stuff to the car, so it won't be running for a couple days.
My new boost pressure sensor came today, so I'll see if that fixes anything.

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #5
My new boost pressure sensor came today, so I'll see if that fixes anything.
Well, I went for a two minute drive and I can definitely say the boost pressure sensor didn't fix it. Still sounds like it has a boost leak (I can hear the turbo whistling) and still drives like crap. Accessport shows I'm way down on boost. Plus I now have p007D, p0234, and p050E, in addition to p0236, p0238, and p025E. 😡

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Well, I went for a two minute drive and I can definitely say the boost pressure sensor didn't fix it. Still sounds like it has a boost leak (I can hear the turbo whistling) and still drives like crap. Accessport shows I'm way down on boost. Plus I now have p007D, p0234, and p050E, in addition to p0236, p0238, and p025E. 😡
completely spit balling here....intercooler catch a big rock, bypass valve stuck open partially? boost controller failing.

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #7
I doubt anything happened to the intercooler, but I'll definitely look. Where is the bypass valve? The boost controller came up in something else I was reading, so that is going to get investigated.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I doubt anything happened to the intercooler, but I'll definitely look. Where is the bypass valve? The boost controller came up in something else I was reading, so that is going to get investigated.
On the turbo itself. If you still have the OEM I believe they call it a bypass bpv instead of bov as it recirculates the pressure back into the intake

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #9
On the turbo itself. If you still have the OEM I believe they call it a bypass bpv instead of bov as it recirculates the pressure back into the intake
Thanks, yeah, I'm still oem as far as I know. I might just replace the bpv. I have had boost pulsing issue for a while and I'm wondering if this new issue is related to that.

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #11
Could the boost control solenoid be shot? I need to double check the lines to it.

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2017/ford/fiesta/fuel_delivery/turbocharger_boost_solenoid.html

What should I look for to tell if the BOV is bad? Should I pull it off the car?
Also if its bad, I'll obviously be getting an aftermarket one. Any recommendations for a good BOV for the stock turbo? I don't want anything that will require constant attention, louder noise is fine but I don't have to have it.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Could the boost control solenoid be shot? I need to double check the lines to it.

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2017/ford/fiesta/fuel_delivery/turbocharger_boost_solenoid.html

What should I look for to tell if the BOV is bad? Should I pull it off the car?
Also if its bad, I'll obviously be getting an aftermarket one. Any recommendations for a good BOV for the stock turbo? I don't want anything that will require constant attention, louder noise is fine but I don't have to have it.
I like what Lays mentioned. As far as bov turbosmart 50/50 (more noise) or their plumback....these will require a CEL defender plug though. I went with a turbosmart Veeport which goes into where the resonator sits off the cold pipe, the nice part about it is its easily accessible BUT you will need to still CEL defender AND a block off plate on turbo. Ive not dealt with the oem failing to really speak to it other than reading about symptoms and such on here.

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #14
Did you already check your PCV hose?

My friend had his PCV hose pop out the other day, and had no boost + poor idle + crappy throttle response and whistling noise.
Haven't checked it yet, thanks for the suggestion. Definitely going to do that now.
I like what Lays mentioned. As far as bov turbosmart 50/50 (more noise) or their plumback....these will require a CEL defender plug though. I went with a turbosmart Veeport which goes into where the resonator sits off the cold pipe, the nice part about it is its easily accessible BUT you will need to still CEL defender AND a block off plate on turbo. Ive not dealt with the oem failing to really speak to it other than reading about symptoms and such on here.
Thanks!

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #17

Business6

TS doesn't sell the CEL defender anymore, last I checked. Not sure what the hell you're supposed to do in a state with emissions now.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
TS doesn't sell the CEL defender anymore, last I checked. Not sure what the hell you're supposed to do in a state with emissions now.
Time to MOVE* That has always been a racket.....As liberal as Mn is they figured it out hat it was just another way to tax people and the data showed that it didn't harm the Environment without them as the cars run so clean now anyways and proceeded to shut all the stations down.