Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Lost/forgotten car skills

Setting the dwell. Changing V- Belts and needing to use a belt tension gauge. A very 1970's thing was a propane enrichment set-up to set the idle speed. Last old time thing was adding distilled water to the battery.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Bead blasting plugs, reset gap and reinstall, put thinner oil in Solex type carbs for quicker throttle response. Drilling centrifugal weights in distributor for quicker advance. Replacing "needles" in a Quadrajet carb. Paying 35 cents a gallon for gas in 1970. Thinking no street car will ever be as fast as a Shelby GT500KR. (our FiST's 0-60 time is very close). Watching street Hemi 'Cuda's shut down by 340 Dusters LOL. "Those were the days my friend, we thought they would never end."

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Here are some doing maintenance

First one would have to know what points are. LOL
Adjusting points with a match book cover.
Then setting distributor timing with just a test light.
That is of course if you know what a distributor is. LOL

Here are some more
Draining the water out of the fuel pump bowl.
Or even adjusting a carburetor.
How about changing tires on rims with just pry bars.
And patching inner tubes.

There a ton of them.

1. Pumping the pedal a few times to get gas to the CARBURETOR before your car will start!!
2. Checking to see if you have spark by arcing the plug on the rocker cover..
3. Fixing your starter by banging on the starter solenoid with a screwdriver....
4. Three things required for a car to run, fuel, air and spark!! Was easy to figure out your problem but now with 25 bizillion sensors......

Heh I remember doing all of the above lol. Welcome to the world of 510’s and 240z’s oh and balancing the Carbs. ah the fun of multiple carbs setups.

as well have having pull the choke to choke the carb on my 240z’s or they would not start.

Switching high beams with your foot.

or

Trail or road trip borrowing your buddy’s starter to start your vehicle, then removing it whilst your vehicle is running to return it to your buddy.

or

Dealing with 70’s smog pump hardware and belts and hoses.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Hitting a hot starter with a hammer or pipe to get it going...

Clutch fans and v-belts

Hand-cranked Roll -up windows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I almost forgot.

Shifting three on the tree.

or

Glow plugs.
My second car was a '69 Delta 88 ragtop, with a 455 2bbl., and three on the tree!
(and NO air, since in those days, a drop top did not just always have standard the 'artificial chill', and yes, hand-cranked windows, and the driver's floor upper left corner high beam 'button'. ;) LOL)

I will add; flex fans (installed one on my '76 Capri 2 'Black Cat' V-6, to solve a faulty fan clutch).