Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

LSD Install Help

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I don't see why you couldn't just stack your shims, its effectively the same as buying the correct size one. They will be held in place by the bearing race anyway.

The Ford Performance way might not be the "correct" way, but I haven't seen a failure here or elsewhere from following those procedures. This may be different with a clutch type LSD that relies on pressure to make it work vs a mechanical LSD. Not every DIY'er has access to the tools to do it and a lot of transmission shops won't even touch our transmissions due to the lack of availability of individual parts.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I don't see why you couldn't just stack your shims, its effectively the same as buying the correct size one. They will be held in place by the bearing race anyway.

The Ford Performance way might not be the "correct" way, but I haven't seen a failure here or elsewhere from following those procedures. This may be different with a clutch type LSD that relies on pressure to make it work vs a mechanical LSD. Not every DIY'er has access to the tools to do it and a lot of transmission shops won't even touch our transmissions due to the lack of availability of individual parts.
If you don't mess with the shims you don't have to touch the bearing race correct?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
Peterson

Peterson

Premium Account
Thread Starter #23
If you don't mess with the shims you don't have to touch the bearing race correct?

Correct. Can literally just open the transmission, take the old Diff out and drop the new one in (after you press new bearings on it)

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Correct. Can literally just open the transmission, take the old Diff out and drop the new one in (after you press new bearings on it)
Thank you. The companies selling these differentials should offer a service to press on the bearings for you.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thank you. The companies selling these differentials should offer a service to press on the bearings for you.

Hammer them on with a large socket... lol. They likely do not offer the service because you risk damaging the bearing in shipping, not to mention if you wanted to swap out the bearings for metal cage variants... etc.

OP
Peterson

Peterson

Premium Account
Thread Starter #26

this was very easy to do with my ebay bearing press kit.

Attachments

OP
Peterson

Peterson

Premium Account
Thread Starter #32
So transmission is in. Bleeding the clutch was stupid. The manual say pump IN 80 ml of fluid. That did not work. I sucked OUT air and 80ml and the clutch worked. Cruises around the block a few times and all is well. Clutch was soft and brakes were too. Parked it up and bled out more air from the brakes and clutch.

TLDR: Try to cap your clutch line off when the transmission is out of the car. It was the only open line, and it took a lot to get all the air out.

OP
Peterson

Peterson

Premium Account
Thread Starter #34

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, the Met Life events.

WAAAY BACK when (late '90s to early '00s) The Performance Driver's Association used to run the autocross events there, as NNJR SCCA used to run elsewhere (Morris County College, Englishtown, etc.).