Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

LSD Installation Thread

Peterson

Premium Account
Looks like I'm attempting to get my Wavetrac in the weekend of the 13th, borrowing a mechanic friend's shop space and experience. I've got the LSD install kit, RTS slave cylinder for while I'm in there, and I figure I probably should pick up most of what is on the now very old list Worthams provided, barring anything clutch/flywheel related. Anything I'm not thinking of or should be aware of? I appreciate that in the years I've owned this car and have read threads on LSDs, there's still no single conclusion on if it's actually worth buying shims or not.

Frankly I'd still rather just have it done with Clarke because I like smooth transmissions over chunky ones, but I'm not flush enough with cash to front $5600 without shipping and have my daily driver down too. So I have to learn instead of getting to be lazy.
It’s hit or miss with needing shims. Ive seen some not needing it, and as you can see with mine, I needed shims.

I’d say change the input shaft bearing. It practically fell out with a little heat on the transmission case.

It’s hit or miss with needing shims. Ive seen some not needing it, and as you can see with mine, I needed shims.

I’d say change the input shaft bearing. It practically fell out with a little heat on the transmission case.
Obviously the logical answer is to buy shims, but man, they do not make buying them easy or cheap lol. Especially given there's no way to know what you might need. Good call about the input shaft bearing, I'll look at picking one up

Peterson

Premium Account
Obviously the logical answer is to buy shims, but man, they do not make buying them easy or cheap lol. Especially given there's no way to know what you might need. Good call about the input shaft bearing, I'll look at picking one up
If you buy and don’t open, you can usually return them. Talk to your Ford parts department first.