Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Looks great. Any rubbing? You going to lower the coilovers at all?
No rubbing, and nah, I don't think I'll be lowering the car anymore. Will be swapping back to a taller tire in the winter. Also, I like where it sits.

Yes sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

codestp202

Is anyone running 215/40/17's or 225's? I'm running 7" wheels, and I'm hoping to increase the width of my next set of tires by a little bit.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Is anyone running 215/40/17's or 225's? I'm running 7" wheels, and I'm hoping to increase the width of my next set of tires by a little bit.
Quite a few are running 215/40/17. Sour Skittle runs 235/40/17 but he's not lowered and on stock wheels.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
In general, are we finding significant traction improvements? Is turn in reduced?
When I went from the stock 205/40/17 Bridgestone RE05a to Khumo 215/40/17, I did notice a decrease in turn in sharpness, but also noticed a decrease in ride harshness and increase in traction.

There are also good options in that size, just know that that size will throw off your speedometer as the height is 24.07.
I have 205/50/16s and really like the ride feel. At the time I bought them I think I calculated that at around 60 mph the car would be travelling about 1.5 mph faster than the speedo indicates. This difference will get smaller as you shred the tires ; )

Wythe

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Was this on the factory 7"s, or with the 527 7.5"s?
The stock bridestones felt the same on both sets of wheels. The difference was noticed on the 7.5" XXR wheels. I'm going to go with 8" width rims but will stick with 215 width tires to help provide a small stretch and maximize contact patch and turn in. Also can't find 225/40/17 anywhere.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The stock bridestones felt the same on both sets of wheels. The difference was noticed on the 7.5" XXR wheels. I'm going to go with 8" width rims but will stick with 215 width tires to help provide a small stretch and maximize contact patch and turn in. Also can't find 225/40/17 anywhere.
Same here IF I decide to go with the 17s (a 215/40-17 Direzza 2 SS, or Federal RS-R on a 17x8 would be ideal!). ;)

The 225/40-17s are only available in sub 100 tread wear, full-on R compound, road race rubber, from what I've seen/researched so far. [:(]

codestp202

Same here IF I decide to go with the 17s (a 215/40-17 Direzza 2 SS, or Federal RS-R on a 17x8 would be ideal!). ;)

The 225/40-17s are only available in sub 100 tread wear, full-on R compound, road race rubber, from what I've seen/researched so far. [:(]
I'm pretty interested in doing the Dunlop Direzza Z2 Start specs in 215/40/17. A couple of my buddies have them and really enjoy them. This would be on 7" width MSW type 85 wheels. What drives you to the Federal Rs-r's? I don't know much about them. I take my car to work 2-3 times a week, but then hit the mountains twice a week, auto x once every other month, and will be doing track days. Looking for better grip then stock but still good tread life. And you're right M-Sport, only slicks in 225/40/17.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
I'm going to most likely get the Federals as well. I've used them on 2 of my previous Miatas and a hi po Subaru and loved them. Great grip and decent treadwear for the amount of grip and all for minimal coin. Frankiefiesta uses the RS-R they also just came out with the RS-R R. Don't know much about them as they've only been around a month or so. They're more money than the RS-R and have a somewhat similar tread pattern. Kind of like the similarities between the Nitto NT-01 and NT-05.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I meant to include the RS-R R as well in the post above.

And yes, it IS much more like the NT-01 in that it has a lot less grooves in it, is much more slick-like, and one probably has to take it easier in standing water than even with the RS-R, which is not all that 'cut' itself either.

codestp202

Hm okay, I remember looking at these rs-r's and rsr-r's. Forgot about them, will do some more research.

codestp202

I meant to include the RS-R R as well in the post above.

And yes, it IS much more like the NT-01 in that it has a lot less grooves in it, is much more slick-like, and one probably has to take it easier in standing water than even with the RS-R, which is not all that 'cut' itself either.
So, looking more into the RS-R's, it looks like they would be better fit for an almost constant auto-x / track use. Do you guys know how many miles people are getting out of a set? At 85 bucks a tire it is extremely cheap, considering the Direzza's are like 160 a piece, and if the RS-R's last a little over half as long, it would be worth it.

Do you guys know anything about the 595 evo? It looks like its one step down and their high performance street tire. Only 65 bucks a tire. I want a little more stickiness then stock and decent treadwear. But at 65 bucks I can't really complain as long as they last decently long and have great grip.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
So, looking more into the RS-R's, it looks like they would be better fit for an almost constant auto-x / track use. Do you guys know how many miles people are getting out of a set? At 85 bucks a tire it is extremely cheap, considering the Direzza's are like 160 a piece, and if the RS-R's last a little over half as long, it would be worth it.

Do you guys know anything about the 595 evo? It looks like its one step down and their high performance street tire. Only 65 bucks a tire. I want a little more stickiness then stock and decent treadwear. But at 65 bucks I can't really complain as long as they last decently long and have great grip.
The Evo is a great street performance tire. I've had 2 sets, but have never tracked or auto x on them. U should get 20k miles out of hem depending on how u drive and rotate them. To me they're the best bang for your buck tire out.

codestp202

The Evo is a great street performance tire. I've had 2 sets, but have never tracked or auto x on them. U should get 20k miles out of hem depending on how u drive and rotate them. To me they're the best bang for your buck tire out.
20k is great mileage. Were they better than our stock potenza's in dry traction?

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Hard to say since they were on 2 Miatas. Totally different vehicle with different driving dynamics. I would say they felt a bit stickier and they also run 1 size wider than their labeled size. 205 is like a 215.

codestp202

Hard to say since they were on 2 Miatas. Totally different vehicle with different driving dynamics. I would say they felt a bit stickier and they also run 1 size wider than their labeled size. 205 is like a 215.
Very good to know. Thanks

LILIKE16ST

maybe not "meaty" by some people's definition but I consider them meaty based on the descriptions I've seen in this thread. They have about 1 inch more sidewall than my stock 205/40/17 did (optional michelin as3 pilot sport all season tires) and I have a couple comparo pics between the stock setup and my new setup which is 15x8 team dynamics pro race 1.2 +35 offset with BF Goodrich sport comp 2 in 195/55/15. These are virtually identical in OD to my stock setup so speedo and gearing and other things aren't effected. These are some very wide 195s as many of you already know. They seem to be a little wider than the stock 205 all seasons but some of that could be contributed to the fact they are mounted on an 8 inch wheel. Tread width according to tire rack is 7.7 inches so they have a very slight stretch and fit great on the wheels. Response and handling is awesome maybe it's just me but I have not noticed much loss on handling, response or turn in. Car handles amazing with this setup. Could be because i'm running 40 psi front 37 rear little high which helps support the sidewall more for less give from the taller sidewall and also due to the fact they are mounted on an 8 inch wide wheel with very slight stretch which helps plant the entire contact patch and also helps with sidewall support. It's a great setup and I love it all the way around. These tires are 21 lbs vs 20 lbs for my stock tires so I lost just over 6 lbs per corner going with this setup. I weighed the wheels at 15.4 lbs without center caps when I first got them. If I decided to go with some 205/50 star specs next time I could save another 2 lbs per corner as they are only 19 lbs and have more ultimate grip to boot, albiet less tread life obviously. I'm very happy with the setup and it does great considering I'm still on 100% stock suspension as of now. The car actually looks pretty good despite the stock height. I plan to go with some h&r sport springs soon unless I can find a way to shoot for the stars and go ahead and get the MiesterR coils I want from jump street. I have other things I need and want starting with a short shift kit and rear motor mount as well as the DHM crash bar and race intercooler. That is something I'm very intersted in so I may just go with the h&r sport springs for now to improve on looks and handling to tide me over until the stock dampers let go then maybe I can try to go for the MiesterR coils at that time and sell the h&r springs to help with the cost. Anyways I figured I would contribue to the "meaty" tires tread...this setup is better in all ways in my oppinion and of course it rides noticeably better too. Much more comfortable for day to day driving. I highly recommend this setup. 695 shipped purchased through pca-1 and that was a great experience as well. Highly recommend the team dynamics wheels, in particular the 15x8 +35 pro race 1.2. The BFG sport comp 2 is also a great tire if you want a nice gripping summer tire that you can daily and actually get some decent milage out of.
Michael