Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MFactory Helical LSD

Rhinopolis

I am on the hunt for a nice LSD, and I came across the MFactory Helical LSD an an option.

http://focusonperformance.com.au/mfactory-lsd-helical-limited-slip-differential-st180/

Helical:

* Will lock and apply equal rotational speed to both wheels
* Will distribute torque to both wheels, however not 50/50 ? depending on type the ratios vary
* Locking on throttle but requires both wheels to be on the ground
* Helical LSDs uses gears and not clutch packs, hence do not require servicing or anything to be replaced. * Maintenance would be similar to an open differential
* Often helical differentials react much quicker than viscous LSDs and do not fade with use as they use gears
* Great overall type of LSD but very limited aftermarket choices

I found a us distributor who currently list them for $699 USD, and from what I have read MFactory is who Honda utilizes to build their race transmission components. Toyota too.......

I made contact with a representative via their FB page, and I have sent an inquiry asking a few questions such as what their Fiesta ST 180 LSD can safely handle power wise.

I have also inquired if they might also be able to offer a taller final drive gear, since they do manufacturer final drive gears for other makes and models.

Our current FD gear is 3.82:1 and with 23.77" diameter tires and a 7000 rpm redline, 2cd gear at 63 mph, 3rd at 95, 4th at 126, and 5th at 158.

With a slightly taller 3.62:1 FD gear and all else equal, 2cd gear should be good for 67mph, 3rd at 101, 4th at 133, 5th at 167, and 6th gear is aero and power limited...lol.

I don't know anything about what all I am asking for, but with an uprated quick spooling X37 and roughly 280 whp/wtrq, I don't think a slightly taller FD would hurt if I am already inside the transmission and replacing the differential.

Thoughts?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
If I'm not mistaken, the only way to fully utilize an LSD is by defeating the Torque Vectoring system. Defeating it includes fitting the Bspec ABS unit, and pulling a fuse (and some other work) behind the dash which results in the loss of airbags. Otherwise, torque vectoring will still interfere, rendering your LSD only slightly useful.

Edit- you don't need the FRPP ABS unit (b-spec). But you will lose those airbags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #4
WTF, Ford? By installing an LSD I lose airbags? How many lbs would I save by pulling airbags and changing out to a Momo steering wheel?

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
hasn't stopped tons of people including amateur racers from installing them and reporting better times and performance. You may not get the full benefit, but i've seen improvements on the same track of multiple seconds. Seems worth it if you track the car. For street use, not so much.

haste

1000 Post Club
Fully utilized mechanical LSD with torque vectoring, no. Will it make a huge difference? Hell yes. Torque vectoring can only do so much, but once that mechanical LSD kicks in, the torque vectoring would most likely stop interfering because neither wheel is slipping.

KKaWing

Just to add on to what's been said... MFactory actually recommends left foot braking when the inside wheel gets unloaded and loses all traction. Helical diffs need traction on both wheels to work, hence the wavetrac diff was invented to not let the LSD turn to a fully open diff., even if it's just 1% traction (the PCA post is way better at explaining this). The torque vectoring is like "brake boosting" the LSD, just applied to the individual wheel.

[video=youtube;vcSAiRxmm0w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcSAiRxmm0w[/video]

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #10
If anyone is interested, MFactory replied back that they could also do a slightly taller FD gear if 15-20 others were interested in a group buy.

I for one would be interested, but I have doubts that enough people are wanting to go down that road with me. Anyone else?

PS: Their LSD is designed to hold up to 900 whp, so we should be good.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I would understand wanting to go taller for road course use (less time shifting), and maybe even those dead set on staying with the small factory turbo setup (quelling some of the 'donkey punch'), but for those with a hybrid/BT kit on the street, wouldn't they want to stick with the shorter factory final drive ratio to help get their snails spooling up into their power bands quicker, or am I looking at this ALL wrong? [dunno]

BTW; I would also have to seriously consider this LSD along with the Quaife, and Wavetrac, when the time comes for one. [wink]

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #12
I would understand wanting to go taller for road course use (less time shifting), and maybe even those dead set on staying with the small factory turbo setup (quelling some of the 'donkey punch'), but for those with a hybrid/BT kit on the street, wouldn't they want to stick with the shorter factory final drive ratio to help get their snails spooling up into their power bands quicker, or am I looking at this ALL wrong? [dunno]

BTW; I would also have to seriously consider this LSD along with the Quaife, and Wavetrac, when the time comes for one. [wink]
I am not knowledgeable enough in gearing to answer your question definitively, but what I can tell you is this.

* According to Virtual Dyno and with the X37, my car made power above the stock turbo (same fueling "E30" stock turbo and then X37) THROUGHOUT the rpm spectrum. It is for this reason that I do not believe that the SLIGHTLY taller FD gear would adversely effect the power delivery.

* The major increase in power does come on at 5k rpms

* A slightly taller gear would allow less shifting and less driveline shock at lower speeds (Auto-X advantage perhaps), plus 6th gear would be very relaxed and would make for an even more calm highway gear with a likely increase in highway mpg too.

These are my reasons for being interested in the taller FD gear, and I believe that with higher powered cars (upgraded turbos) that this would be a benefit. More knowledgeable people please chime in.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
It's about $1500 cheaper to just install a taller tire to effect your gear ratio. I've been running 24.4" tall tires for 2 years. It def is not for stock turbo guys. Larger turbo guys can trade a little power lose for extra traction.
235/45/17

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #15
I agree about the taller tire and saving money, but I would rather maintain "stockish" tire height and not sacrifice any turn in reflex.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I agree about the taller tire and saving money, but I would rather maintain "stockish" tire height and not sacrifice any turn in reflex.
I can agree with that.
2 tires are $155. Maybe try it and see how you like the ratio change.
Vs spending a ton of money and being kind of stuck with what it is.

Changing/selling tires is a lot easier than changing a ring and pinion.

Pete

I would be interested in seeing if they could make a shorter final drive ratio. For road courses I would rather have closer gears with the current hybrid turbo set up.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I would be interested in seeing if they could make a shorter final drive ratio. For road courses I would rather have closer gears with the current hybrid turbo set up.
Quaife does quite a few different final ratios for their sequential IB5: https://shop.quaife.co.uk/ford-ib5-5-speed-sequential-gearkit I'm not sure if the IB5 and IB6 use the same Quaife LSD (and, therefore, ring and pinion) but the their IB5 sequential gearbox does use the same LSD as does the stock IB5.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
The R&P should be the same. Likely a fusion R&P would swap in.
Pumaspeed sells a R&P for a lower ratio.