Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Minimal supporting mods for Hybrid turbo

As far as the engine size argument goes indeed the 1.6 will get better gas mileage than a two liter because it can’t move as much volume period! lol Which means it can’t consume as much lol.
Sure it can pass as much volume, I’d be willing to bet that our engines pass more volume than an N/A 2.0 duratec. That’s the whole point of turbos, pass more volume when needed.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Sure it can pass as much volume, I’d be willing to bet that our engines pass more volume than an N/A 2.0 duratec. That’s the whole point of turbos, pass more volume when needed.
if you put same turbo on the 2 liter it will pass more volume than our engines though lol . if you put a bigger one it will pass even more volume,your argument does not hold water. lol
Size for size its volumetrically smaller . Hence the age old comment there is no replacement for displacement. :ROFLMAO:

if you put same turbo on the 2 liter it will pass more volume than our engines though lol . if you put a bigger one it will pass even more volume,your argument does not hold water. lol
Size for size its volumetrically smaller . Hence the age old comment there is no replacement for displacement. :ROFLMAO:
Sure, but the age old comment about displacement is wrong. There is a replacement: forced induction.

Also I’m not sure that a 2 liter with a KP39 would pass more volume than our engine, since it is the limiting factor on flow as revs climb above 5 grand. I have to imagine a 2L would hit a wall much earlier than that engine speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Sure, but the age old comment about displacement is wrong. There is a replacement: forced induction.

Also I’m not sure that a 2 liter with a KP39 would pass more volume than our engine, since it is the limiting factor on flow as revs climb above 5 grand. I have to imagine a 2L would hit a wall much earlier than that engine speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was poking fun at you with that displacement comment glad to see you took it so seriously.

Forced induction while flowing more is limited by how much the head will flow. We can go around in circles over this till we actually know how much the 2 liter head will flow vs the 1.6 stock for stock. Back in the day that is why people would put larger valves in heads to help them flow more even with forced induction.

I am betting the 2 liter head has larger valves than the 1.6 so it should flow more as well as having a larger combustion chamber because of larger bottom end i.e. more area to push more induction capability to pack a bigger charge .

No matter what you want to argue, a bigger turbo on a 2 liter will put out more power than a bigger turbo turbo on a 1.6. You just can’t get around that fact if you are going to go at it from a even standpoint. You cannot compare a larger turbo on the 1.6 to the stock turbo on the 2.0 liter because thats not stock for stock.

Anyways I have made my point there is science behind it. I am done here have a nice day.

plus I am not even sure why we are debating this at this point beyond one side wanting to prove the other side is wrong. lol its a useless debate and waste of time at this point. lol

Are one step colder plugs also needed?

Edit: also is a different panel filter necessary?

Last edited:
You don't even need the upgraded downpipe. I believe Jason@Dizzy has tuned cars on that turbo on a fully stock OEM Exhaust (cat too) and made good power.

I bet you can get 250ish whp pretty easily with that turbo and simply FMIC.

You can keep stock IC hoses. I'd double up on the OEM Worm clamps to the IC end tanks - those are known to pop off occasionally with upgraded turbo (mine sure did)

I spoke to Ron @ Whoosh and he suggested I could get away with V3 IC, Upgraded Radiator, Hybrid Turbo, Panel Filter, - Stock DP, Stock Exhaust on 91 pump. I wanted something that could pass Cali smog sniffer. Id like to roll back to stock tune with the hybrid turbo bolted on and pass smog. Would love some input from folks doing this. Not looking to wring out ever HP possible, just more power than a stage 3 tune.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I spoke to Ron @ Whoosh and he suggested I could get away with V3 IC, Upgraded Radiator, Hybrid Turbo, Panel Filter, - Stock DP, Stock Exhaust on 91 pump. I wanted something that could pass Cali smog sniffer. Id like to roll back to stock tune with the hybrid turbo bolted on and pass smog. Would love some input from folks doing this. Not looking to wring out ever HP possible, just more power than a stage 3 tune.
You could have your tuner set you up with an ECO tune keeping the power and boost lower. I'd also recommend a rear motor mount if going hybrid turbo. Inexpensive and effective.

You could have your tuner set you up with an ECO tune keeping the power and boost lower. I'd also recommend a rear motor mount if going hybrid turbo. Inexpensive and effective.
Thanks @akiraproject24 - Forgot to mention - I have added the RMM and the Powerflex on the trans mount and upper engine mount already. That made a huge diff in feel! Can they hybrid run properly when reverting to stock tune during the smog testing?

Thanks,

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Thanks @akiraproject24 - Forgot to mention - I have added the RMM and the Powerflex on the trans mount and upper engine mount already. That made a huge diff in feel! Can they hybrid run properly when reverting to stock tune during the smog testing?

Thanks,
Cool your ahead then with the engine mounts. Stock tune on a hybrid turbo I couldn't tell ya how it would do. I know it would run but I cant say what kind of trouble codes or issues it could create. Personally I wouldn't do it, but that is only based on my lack of knowledge and playing it safe.

Cool your ahead then with the engine mounts. Stock tune on a hybrid turbo I couldn't tell ya how it would do. I know it would run but I cant say what kind of trouble codes or issues it could create. Personally I wouldn't do it, but that is only based on my lack of knowledge and playing it safe.
Thanks man! Yeah, looks like Cali will check the actual software to see if its "certified" or "Stock" - running a eco tune will still get the vehicle flagged. Smh... What a clusterFx.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Thanks man! Yeah, looks like Cali will check the actual software to see if its "certified" or "Stock" - running a eco tune will still get the vehicle flagged. Smh... What a clusterFx.
Ah makes sense on the why. See if some more knowledgeable peeps respond until then I would shoot an email to your tuner or who you plan to use and see what they say.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I wouldn't worry about running stock tune on a hybrid turbo to pass smog. Though I don't know why you'd need to if you kept your catalytic converter. Just don't go wide open throttle.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Totally agree - if the sniffer passes you regardless of tune you should be in the clear - Benn following this and its not good enough for Cali - https://www.thedrive.com/cars-101/41603/california-ecu-tune-flash-faq SMH...
Flash counters are a different story. Unless you got a stock and a modded ECU you could swap out, I'm not sure how you get around that besides going to a shop that is willing to ignore it.

As long as I can drop the Hybrid-in while keeping stock DP with all the other supporting upgrades and a custom tune, then flash back to stock for the sniffer test and the stock tune checksum check. That would be ideal - now I guess if in theory everything works fine during the sniffer test, and doing all that riggamaroll... is the power output without the performance DP and all the supporting go fast bits that would flag a visual smog inspection worth the work? Realistically bolting on a hybrid turbo without the max performance go fast bits be more noteable that a tune + IC?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
As long as I can drop the Hybrid-in while keeping stock DP with all the other supporting upgrades and a custom tune, then flash back to stock for the sniffer test and the stock tune checksum check. That would be ideal - now I guess if in theory everything works fine during the sniffer test, and doing all that riggamaroll... is the power output without the performance DP and all the supporting go fast bits that would flag a visual smog inspection worth the work? Realistically bolting on a hybrid turbo without the max performance go fast bits be more noteable that a tune + IC?
not a bad idea and truthfully the car has been proven to do 375 hp with a stock downpipe and accessories. You will be fine. I have 5 more years and actually did my S280 swap before this whole stock tune flash crap. Which is really not as bad as people are making it out to be like you already figured out. With a Hybrid it will look stock with stock downpipe it will look stock and you just flash either a stock tune or a Cobb OTS tune and drive for 50 miles to clear the checksum and readiness and you would be fine.

I am glad I bought my 18 new it gives me time before I have to think about this.

Thanks for your wisdom Dpro, I have a 2017, when does the smog BS timer start? Part if me says just go all in enjoy and YOLO it. Deal with the BS later. Being undecided is always a shit place to be, lol 😂

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I dont think they sniff anymore fellas. If it's a 2000 or newer its just a systems readyness check through the obd2 and a visual. My 04 suburban, 2000 excursion, and 2012 e350 never got sniffed.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk