Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Radiator Specs

Hi everyone,
I was thinking about getting a Mountune radiator, but also need to stay legal for STH classing in SCCA. Does anyone know the weight and capacity of the Mountune unit vs stock?
I did a search, but couldn't find any definitive info. Thanks!

Erick_V

If you'd like the weight of a stock rad I could get it for you tomorrow, as far as capacity I'm not sure

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
L. Engine cooling radiators may be replaced with alternate parts subject to the following restrictions:
1. Radiator core dimensions (width, height, thickness) cannot be smaller than the standard part.
2. Radiator must mount to OE radiator mounts.
3. Fluid capacity and dry weight of the radiator must be no less than that of the standard part. Installation of an alternate radiator may serve no other purpose (e.g., to allow a cold air intake passage).
4. A replacement radiator may contain an integrated oil cooler provided the portion of the radiator that is utilized for coolant conforms to the remainer of 14.10.L.
5. Installation of an alternate radiator may serve no other purpose (e.g. to allow a cold air intake passage).

The mountune radiator is larger than stock, mounts to the stock location with stock hardware and holds about 2 quarts more fluid. I do not have the weight of the Mountune rad but I could weigh the OEM and give you measurements if you really want them. There are some good videos out there that show them side by side. I run SMF with it.

OP
Pablo Pistoffo
Thread Starter #5
L. Engine cooling radiators may be replaced with alternate parts subject to the following restrictions:
1. Radiator core dimensions (width, height, thickness) cannot be smaller than the standard part.
2. Radiator must mount to OE radiator mounts.
3. Fluid capacity and dry weight of the radiator must be no less than that of the standard part. Installation of an alternate radiator may serve no other purpose (e.g., to allow a cold air intake passage).
4. A replacement radiator may contain an integrated oil cooler provided the portion of the radiator that is utilized for coolant conforms to the remainer of 14.10.L.
5. Installation of an alternate radiator may serve no other purpose (e.g. to allow a cold air intake passage).

The mountune radiator is larger than stock, mounts to the stock location with stock hardware and holds about 2 quarts more fluid. I do not have the weight of the Mountune rad but I could weigh the OEM and give you measurements if you really want them. There are some good videos out there that show them side by side. I run SMF with it.
Sweet! This info is enough to make me confident buying one and shipping it up here to AK. I just didn't want to realize it wasn't Kosher after the fact.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The SCCA limits aftermarket radiators even in more modded classes than /Street?!?!
Does one have to go into the /Mod classes to not have any restrictions on cooling??

Soooo glad that I do not have to follow their draconian 'rules' at all. [wink]

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I figure there are two ways to approach it.
1) Look up the rules and modify accordingly -(you will be on the same page as all the other folks. Rules may be arbitrary, but they are at least uniform)
b) Modify the car however you want, look at the rulebook later -(you will not be competitive most likely, but who cares, having fun)

I am solidly in the latter catagory

Dpro

6000 Post Club
In racing rules were meant to be bent. If you get away with it so be it. Everyone always tests how far they can go under the rules and get away with it. Even in F1. Just stay as close to them as you can get if you choose to go down that road. The Closer you are the less likely anyone will be the wiser.
I remember back in the day when the SCCA came with a new slightly modded showroom stock class. Basically you could do suspension engines had to remain stock. The 240z ruled the class. This was in the late 80’s funny thing was Rebello Racing was building all the engines for nearly every Z in that class. He was doing some wizardry as he was pulling 200hp out what appeared to be a perfectly stock factory rated 150hp L24 6. Mind you Z’s only weighed 2350lbs to 2100 lbs track weight. So 200hp made it pretty potent.
No one new exactly what he was doing build wise to get that power as the engines supposedly still spec’d out stock. lol
Thats an example of bending the rules but staying as close as possible. :ROFLMAO:

OP
Pablo Pistoffo
Thread Starter #10
People will always cheat, but I get enough crap from some of the folks at the club that it is just easier to stick with the rules. But I also like building to a specific class and beating folks in pax (we don't have enough folks to have different car classes, so it is all based on driver classes.)