Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MTC Intercooler !

My MTC is in and it works great. I can hammer the car on full boost all day and charge temps appear fine. More detailed testing is needed. The weather has been cooler of late so I don't have any 110+ degree days to compare with, but I can tell the temps are running cooler and the turbo and engine are very happy from the fact that before the IC install, boost seemed to really die off after 3-4 straight hard pulls.

Fitment was a challenge - to clear the bottom row of fins, I had to clip off the middle plastic bolt hole attachment which is clipped on to the bottom of the plastic radiator shroud. I am running with the lower air dam 3 bolts unbolted and it's not too much of an issue thus far. I didn't want to hack up the lower air dam, and there was no freaking way that the FMIC allowed the lower 3 bolt holes at the lower air dam to line up. I made it work. I re-used the stock plastic rubber stoppers that go on top of the upper post mounts of the MTC unit since even without them, the lower air dam bolts wouldn't line up. A little frustrating.

No instructions at all. I just followed the Cobb instructions since it's more or less the same. Seems like the Depo unit comes with instructions and hardware. I like the MTC one a lot, but if I could re-do it again, I'd probably get the Depo. That said the MTC should work great for me and I'm not planning on replacing it.

grnmachine02

Mine seemed to fit fine? I had to bend a plastic tab, but everything still lined up afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine seemed to fit fine? I had to bend a plastic tab, but everything still lined up afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have a 2016 or 2014-15? Maybe there is some variation or tolerance between intercoolers made by MTC or maybe there are even different versions.

There is no freaking way I could ever make the lower 3 holes lineup no matter what I do with this unit, so I have to wonder if either what I am doing wrong or how other people are able to get it to fit.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

TUX15ST

i have a 2015 also and got everything to line back up and fit as well, had to slightly modify the center bracket but no other issues at all

I will try and do some diagnosing this weekend to see if I can figure out what the fitment issue is, again. There was about 0.5" inch between the bolt holes, so it's not far off. Maybe I can adjust some things and get it to work. It's a good unit; if I can't make it fit I'm probably going DHM stock fit, CPE or Depo.

Its all the same intercooler. The thing is that "clone" companies pry and pry and pry till they find out where companies like cobb are getting their cores. Once they find out they start dealing with them directly and walla you have the knock off market !! So the cobb, depo, mtc, nke, and dna, your getting the same cooler your just not paying the absolutely ridiculous mark up fee for it to say COBB on the end tanks.

Turned out the Depo did fit better (not sure why, maybe user error), and the cores between the MTC and Depo were very similar but not identical. The fins were different etc. I will send a link to my IG photos showing the similarities in a bit.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

grnmachine02

Did some datalogging this evening. I am now running the cyborg c39 turbo. With the stock turbo, I found the MTC intercooler to do a pretty good job. This evening I saw almost a 20 degree rise in charge temps over a 3rd gear pull. I think the DHM race intercooler will be in my future.

When I started the pull charge temp was 61 degrees. Charge temp was almost 80 by the end of the pull.

I would think about it honestly, you're moving enough air that you would benefit, bigger charge pipes would be more efficient because it slows down the charge a little bit, keeping the air inside the intercooler longer, I bet if you replaced that hot side, your temps would drop.

For those who want to see my IG photos of the difference in cores, they should be up at @kirkmarkland. Still have the MTC, am running the Depo atm and am debating the DHM Race & CB when I go HT. I'm looking at the X47.

Had to fight with My MTC intercooler for it to line up correctly. Even then the passenger side tab for the bolt was about a 1/2" too wide. So after the third time of trying get the right I just threw on the bumper as a test fit and it was tight enough that I didn't even bother with fighting with it any more.

I think there are some ic's floating around with some QC issues and I got one.

But haven't had an issue since and I never want to remove that front bumper again.

"never want to remove the bumper again" haha it's a pain I've had mine off multiple times, I'm an expert now at FIESTA ST bumper removal.