Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mud Flaps as Corrosion Protection?

I know this is probably a straight up "opinion question", but I'm thinking about adding mud flaps to the new FiST. The PO did not winter drive it (it's STUPID clean underneath), but unfortunately that's not an option for me. I like the look of the Rally Armor stuff, but it seems a bit pricey for what it is. If they actually help in any way with keeping the underside of the car clean, I'll probably pick some up. If they hurt/accelerate corrosion, it would be a definite no. No effect/no idea gives me no guidance what-so-ever. :)

Thoughts?

(And yes, I know "wash it frequently" is the most important part)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I had to remove my Rally Armors due to rubbing on 205/50-16 height tires, even on factory ride height suspension.
So, if you are running any diameter setup over about 23.8" or so (factory/OEM is 23.5"), consider that, especially if you are lowered AT ALL. [wink]

I mainly had these, or a set of larger, generic flaps attached to the RA mounting points for protection against rocks, stones, and gravel while working on ARA rally stages.
Since that seems to be going away for me currently, I had no qualms about removing the flaps.

They WILL protect the lower sill/fender edge body work front and back from being 'peppered' by flying/kicked up by the wheels debris, pebbles, small stones, pieces of 'road gators', and yes rock salt, etc.

As far as lessening the salt soup cancer inevitable in any northern tier/northern east coast state, probably not so much, save for possibly the outer steel unibody rails/sections immediately behind the front tires.

IF you do get them, almost every metallic part in the kit is good quality stainless steel, EXCEPT for the outer front retaining/'adjusting' strip.

I suggest at least Rustoleum/POR-15 painting, or Plasti-dipping this piece, if not having it powder coated, or Cerakoted, since it is softer mild steel and it WILL rust out in a salt soup environment!

You could even replace it with a drilled for the mounting holes band of aluminum, or stainless and avoid all of this mess to begin with, which is what I will do IF I ever decide to re-install mine.

joesiris

I agree with everything @M-Sport fan said. I got them because the rd I lived on was terrible and gravely and I could always hear the rocks hit the side of the car (cringed every time). They defiantly eliminated that. I will say that smaller gravel gets stuck up at the top of the flap. I have a "dentist type" pick tool that I use to get it out when I wash it. But yeah, for those folks that live up north it won't do much for the undercarriage. 20220905_161903_resized.jpg