Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My mpg's suck....I think?! Walnut blasting?....

Hi guys! I am the very proud owner of a white 2014 FiST that I bought in early June and so far it's been flawless. But my mileage doesn't seem to be up to standard.

The car has just under 150000 kms or around 96000 miles. I do pretty much all city driving and I am pretty gentle with it for the most part. Occasionally I'll disobey the law a bit, but living in the big city, it's a lot of stop and go so it has a pretty easy life. But my mileage has been pretty much consistent 10 L/ 100 km, which is around 28 (Imperial) mpg.... which is actually about 24 U.S. mpg!

From my understanding, this car should be doing a fair bit better unless I beat the crap out of it. Closer to the low 30's??

I did have a friend tell me that my intake valves might be gummed up and recommended walnut blasting. I've heard of it in the past but I've never done it. Could that be enough to affect my fuel mileage with this kind of accumulated mileage? Or is there anything else you could recommend? The car isn't throwing any codes and other than this it runs great and seems to have lots of power.

Any advice is greatly recommended.

Ps - if it makes any difference, I'm at sea level up in Vancouver, Canada, and I do use 93 octane.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
NOT in the city. they highway is where you will get into the 30s and also it depends on the quality of Fuel and what additives they put in it...changing oil when needed and the quality of that too. You could get an otoscope/ boroscope that links into your phone and take the cold side pipe off at the throttle body to gain access. There are a couple DI specific Injector cleaners that may help aid in getting better fuel economy as the injectors really really take a beating due to being directly in the engine cylinders. Also changing Both the O2 sensors or just the upstream O2 as it is the one that dictates fueling the most. Walnut blasting wont do that much in getting better fuel economy over replacing the O2 sensors.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
O2 sensors should be changed out IMO every 50-75,000 miles as they are a wear item. just like spark plugs they get dirty over time and become less reactive in leaning and richening out the fuel system as needed. O2s Slowing in response time equals poor fuel economy*

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
BTW ...Im BT with 4 port Aux on e50. I get 22-24 in City and 27-29 Highway rolling on Corn. 80,000 miles on mine Also.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I get average 28mpg driving in stop and go/ open hi-ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm currently averaging 25mpg (US) running Dizzy E30. That's a little high (usually closer to 22) but I've seen a lot of highway miles recently. On stock tune, I averaged ~29mpg on 93... 33-34 using 87 (the sales rep recommendation when I bought).

Those numbers assume commuting.

When driving purely for fun, I get high teens to low twenties.

OP
T
Thread Starter #8
Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I don't have any records at the o2 sensor(s) being done so I think I might do that first. I have had issues on other cars where that was a factor and it's a pretty easy fix. I will keep you posted!

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
City driving makes this car thirsty. It's just the nature of the beast.

Hi guys! I am the very proud owner of a white 2014 FiST that I bought in early June and so far it's been flawless. But my mileage doesn't seem to be up to standard.

The car has just under 150000 kms or around 96000 miles. I do pretty much all city driving and I am pretty gentle with it for the most part. Occasionally I'll disobey the law a bit, but living in the big city, it's a lot of stop and go so it has a pretty easy life. But my mileage has been pretty much consistent 10 L/ 100 km, which is around 28 (Imperial) mpg.... which is actually about 24 U.S. mpg!

From my understanding, this car should be doing a fair bit better unless I beat the crap out of it. Closer to the low 30's??

I did have a friend tell me that my intake valves might be gummed up and recommended walnut blasting. I've heard of it in the past but I've never done it. Could that be enough to affect my fuel mileage with this kind of accumulated mileage? Or is there anything else you could recommend? The car isn't throwing any codes and other than this it runs great and seems to have lots of power.

Any advice is greatly recommended.

Ps - if it makes any difference, I'm at sea level up in Vancouver, Canada, and I do use 93 octane.
I have a 2014 FiST too and just hit 111,000km yesterday, I noticed up until about a month ago something was greatly reducing it's overall "energy" and get up and go, boost ect and which was giving crap fuel economy... I did the plugs at 95k, nothing really changed, cleaned the MAF sensor made a big improvement to the responsiveness.

But, what really fixed it was a throttle body clean.. I disconnected the sound symposia and throttle body rubber sleeve and the whole hard pipe can go all the way out the bottom. Just pumped a whole can of throttle body cleaner up in to the butterfly valve gave a few good rubs with a clean rag in-between.. at the end sprayed some WD-40 and it's been so much better! Engine is happy to rev high and just pulls like it always use to..

Hope this helps

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk