Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My v dyno results whoosh v3 intercooler vs stock intercooler

Stkid93

Premium Account
hey guys,

wanted to post this up for anyone who is interested. I should mention, the pulls were done on separate days. but the ambient temperature was identical. the only difference being the intercooler. im e30 tuned by dizzy with a whoosh intake, and whoosh v3 intercooler. that's it.

blue line is the pull with the intercooler and red line is without (the blue pull was done in 3rd gear. so, i think the torque number and overall results could have been a bit higher if i did the intercooler pull in 4th gear) maybe I'll try that next as it will give the intercooler pull more of a fair fight since results tend to be a little better in 4th gear.

Anyways there is improved torque and power all throughout the power band. but you will notice the real difference is in the higher rpms. its about 20 wheel torque around 5k and 10 wheel horsepower. and i actually cut the pull short, i stopped around 5k, i think if i went out to 6k the difference would be even larger.some of you will notice the torque and horsepower dip around 4000, that is because i hit a slight uphill section of the road for that portion of the pull, causing the small dip. you can really tell if i put the smoothing down to 1.

there were a couple things that really surprised me with these results. First off i though the whoosh v3 would cause me to lose torque down low, but as you can see i didn't lose any torque i actually gained about 15 ft lbs at 3200 rpms. Also, i was surprised to see the results in general, because the ambient temperature was cold enough that i didn't think the intercooler would make that big of a difference. but with the stock intercooler in 40 degree weather the charge air temps rose up to about 80 degrees in a single pull. compared to staying just above ambient with the intercooler. so just the difference in charge air temps resulted in the increase in power, as the tune and everything stayed the same between both pulls. So these results are 100% because of the intercooler.

next i want to try a 4th gear pull with the intercooler as you can usually get some more torque in 4th as there is more load on the engine and it helps the turbo spool up better and make more boost. I can usually see about an extra 1-1.5 lbs of boost in 4th compared to 3rd.

Attachments

Last edited: