Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New ATP video

OP
Colin1337

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #41
they quoted you $1K for turbo install?
Screw that, I'll just do the install myself.

Basic hand tools and a rudimentary knowledge of mechanics and your good to go. Especially with the amount of room back there, take the cowl off and you have an easy work space.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Screw that, I'll just do the install myself.

Basic hand tools and a rudimentary knowledge of mechanics and your good to go. Especially with the amount of room back there, take the cowl off and you have an easy work space.
For sure man, especially after the DP install, I think the turbo is definitely manageable with all the space back there, I think it will be a 8-12 hour possible less bolt-on affair if the ATP kit is comprehensive!

OP
Colin1337

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #43
For sure man, especially after the DP install, I think the turbo is definitely manageable with all the space back there, I think it will be a 8-12 hour possible less bolt-on affair if the ATP kit is comprehensive!
Assuming everything goes smoothly (no stuck bolts/rounding off/stripping anything) I think it could be knocked out in 6-8 hours.
Remove intake
Remove windhield cowl
Disconnect dp from turbo
take out battery/battery tray
remove oil/coolant lines from turbo,
loosen bolts holding turbo to manifold
remove turbo

reverse steps with new turbo.

CanadianST

When I get this (notice I said "when" and not "if" [coolsmile]) I'll definitely be doing it myself, hate having other people do work on my cars. If problems arise in the future you have a better idea of what it could be, plus it's a pride thing to say everything that's been done to the car was by your own hands.

OP
Colin1337

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #45
When I get this (notice I said "when" and not "if" [coolsmile]) I'll definitely be doing it myself, hate having other people do work on my cars. If problems arise in the future you have a better idea of what it could be, plus it's a pride thing to say everything that's been done to the car was by your own hands.
Yep, thats how I feel as well.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Agreed with all self installers this should be no harder than tossing in a LSD so I'm in for it and yes there is a shipyard of room once the cowl is off and the battery and tray are out..

pwnall1337

Vendor
they quoted you $1K for turbo install?
They didn't quote me anything, Here's how I guestimated it. (I was pretty accurate on my last part install)

$249 for cobb intake
$1700 for gtx kit from atp
$600 install
$250 retune
= $2799

I then left $200 to play with. I've actually set aside 6k for the car just incase I need to replace the clutch/upgrade the clutch or replace a drive shaft, who knows. It's cause shit happens money lol.

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
Ive been in contact with sales. Im looking for just the gt upgrade. 260+ whp is all im looking for. They said this summer for the kit. And that response is from this evening.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Having a lift, air and many power tools, having taken my car very far apart and back together, etc....I could rush the job in 3-4 hours, or take my time in 5-6 hours max.

BUT, I highly recommend considering porting the manifold while at it or buy one, port it, do the install, port the old one to sell or as is.........

------------

You will be making a great deal more heat with a bigger turbo, maybe less boost needed so less air temp wise but engine heat, much more.

I will post more pics soon but there is quite a bit you can do to open up air flow to the radiator and not to hard a job to add an oil cooler which I worked on today but decided to finish when I find the right wide and short in height oil cooler as I want to mount it low and ducted to not be in front of the radiator.

You can get more air to the radiator by just sanding off the back of the grill about 1.5" as it is filled in on the bottom half but some of that is not blocked by the bumper beam.

I will post some pics on swiss cheesing the radiator shroud, not much cheese left:)

The stock water to oil cooler will not help much when adding more power so I deleted it today, not sure how to remove it just yet but with a little tweaking mounted a Mocal oil cooler sandwich plate, tstat built in, had to run a heater hose 36" long to ensure the water is fed to or from the heater core under the dash, not sure the direction, does not matter as long as hooked up.

If you are building a car to put around it and get on it once in awhile, drag race, up to a point autocross, etc...then stock cooling might work but if you want to add some serious power and run on a road course or climb some great mountain roads, you will have to deal with cooling, just the way it is.

I am hoping to not have to swap the radiator, doing a lot of work to get all I can out of the stock systems except the oil cooler, I knew it had to be done right.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
$$$$ if a tune is included then a great deal, look at the numbers, torque curve, peak HP, flat.......a real liveable power curve that will be more than fast in all situations. Those that are more into drag racing or bragging rights(personally I would not pick this car for that use) it might not be enough but for the rest of us, sweet indeed:)

I am still looking at the BW options, I can buy one and cut of the inlet and have the proper one welded on and fit the car...I can weld quite decent at it but I hire a local guy that is an amazing welder to do critical stuff like this, costs a quite a bit but his work does not fail.

So far it is between an ATP and a BW..........this car has to make really good power for a very long time so I am carefully deciding which way to go.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Who is going to be first, mod king rodmoe [wrenchin] or someone else?
Funny you should mention this ;) I may have something in the works but it is a ways out I have plans to run this year as is and upgrade for next season on the track . Unless something falls in my lap ;) I will be watching though...

Waiting for a kit to show up :) We didn't get a chance to finish testing with ATP and have been itching to push the car harder!

Cheers,
Braden@COBB

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Waiting for a kit to show up :) We didn't get a chance to finish testing with ATP and have been itching to push the car harder!

Cheers,
Braden@COBB
Seriously that was my next question is getting a safe fun tune for this .. What are we looking at for support ? any type of OTS to get us to the shop for a tune or maybe email tuning ??
Thanks BTW

CanadianST

Okay serious question... GTX28 or GT25, I am definitely going to get one. I put in a purchase order today with Cobb SoCal for their stage3. With that being said, I'm not sure what turbo to get... I have been driving big power imports for the last decade so I do like the idea of more top end power with the GTX28. I have 2 concerns 1. The Cobb dp is catted into a 2.5" exhaust which might not produce desired results with the bigger turbo. 2. The car's reliability as well as its street drivability. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!