Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Normal PSI on compression test?

Was wondering what the normal range for PSI is on a compression test. Only had time to do one cylinder before I leave for work. It was my problem cylinder(the one missing) was reading 130 PSI but wasn't sure what it's supposed to read.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Was wondering what the normal range for PSI is on a compression test. Only had time to do one cylinder before I leave for work. It was my problem cylinder(the one missing) was reading 130 PSI but wasn't sure what it's supposed to read.
As the Engine wears ....it will start to lose compression. It's the nature of the beast. All 4 Cylinders should be 10-15% of each other. Measure them all and let us know the results.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
R
Thread Starter #3
As the Engine wears ....it will start to lose compression. It's the nature of the beast. All 4 Cylinders should be 10-15% of each other. Measure them all and let us know the results.

actually looks like I was reading it wrong. 140 PSI across the board, when I pulled out spark plug two it was loose, thinking it may have been too loose to be firing, but they were the original spark plugs ive got ngks coming in.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
actually looks like I was reading it wrong. 140 PSI across the board, when I pulled out spark plug two it was loose, thinking it may have been too loose to be firing, but they were the original spark plugs ive got ngks coming in.
Equal and the number seems good to me. The lose plug may have been your issue. Depending on how lose you could have been losing compression in that hole or just causing the misfire. How did the plug look on that hole compared to the others? I'd tighten it all down and try to start it up again.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Make sure to Torque them correctly* it's 13 ft lbs. If my memory serves me correctly. DO NOT just give them the old heave ho.

OP
R
Thread Starter #6
Equal and the number seems good to me. The lose plug may have been your issue. Depending on how lose you could have been losing compression in that hole or just causing the misfire. How did the plug look on that hole compared to the others? I'd tighten it all down and try to start it up again.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I want to but the battery died from doing the compression checks and sitting on the side of 95 haha, I don't have a charger to charge it and am heading out of town at 8 AM EST. The spark plug was wet with fuel I'll make sure to update when I get back on tuesday;

OP
R
Thread Starter #8
Last edited: