Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil Catch Can Comparo Thread

Which OCC did you install?

• Mishimoto

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • Boomba

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • James Barone Racing

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Damond Motorsports

Votes: 71 44.7%
  • "Custom"

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 18 11.3%

• Total voters

KKaWing

I actually left it overnight. The drain tube does hold a bit of oil back and will drip a bit on to the garage floor if you take away the bottle too early. I routed mine so it tucks into the hole in the front control arm. It is easier for me to reach than the spot the instructions recommended, which is under the passenger foot-well. I think I cut off something like 2 ft. -ish? It is long enough to leave the bottle standing on the ground with the hose inside it. I also lightly zip tied the hose to the front sway bar to guide it away from moving parts.

I just ordered and installed a Damond kit. Super fast service. Placed order in the evening, got shipping confirmation early the next morning, and it arrived the following day. Everything was packaged nicely. Very impressed with the speed of service. I have a bone stock FiST with 5500 miles. I stuck my finger in the intake and it came out wet with oil, so I'm glad I got it finally done.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ordered a Damond OCC. Just bite the bullet already to all you stubborn people out there. I am awaiting it's arrival.[rockon]

I'm gonna chime in here as well. I also got the Damond OCC.
For those of you who already have it you know how unbelievably easy it is to install them for our cars. Pure plug and play.

I also did a how to install for it. I know it's so easy it doesn't need a video but I figured it would something good to have on the channel and hopefully it may be of use for someone in the future someday.
[video=youtube;pnfiJDEzG9M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnfiJDEzG9M[/video]

I'm gonna chime in here as well. I also got the Damond OCC.
For those of you who already have it you know how unbelievably easy it is to install them for our cars. Pure plug and play.

I also did a how to install for it. I know it's so easy it doesn't need a video but I figured it would something good to have on the channel and hopefully it may be of use for someone in the future someday.
[video=youtube;pnfiJDEzG9M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnfiJDEzG9M[/video]
Good work man. Damond is one of the next mods on my list. Can you reach that drain valve easily?

Good work man. Damond is one of the next mods on my list. Can you reach that drain valve easily?
Yes, it is relatively easy to get to the knob/handle thing that turns to drain the can.

Just as a tip, if you plan to drain with the tube, make sure to use the top mounting hole for the bracket on the can. This way the line going from the can to the tube and beyond doesn't get as kinked as it probably will if you choose the bottom hole.

Other than that i's stupid easy to install, I went in blind with 3 pictures for reference as to where everything went and so far it's doing great. Everything is secure and all pressures and junk seem to be normal after a couple weeks of use now.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I to am also curious. ...how are we to reach the valve after install? As I do not have pipe cleaners for arms and I don't get paid anymore to get those little tiny cuts on my arms anymore. I just routed the tube down and lightly zip tied the end to a hose so all I have to do is turn the wheel and set a pan or cup to catch the oil.

I to am also curious. ...how are we to reach the valve after install? As I do not have pipe cleaners for arms and I don't get paid anymore to get those little tiny cuts on my arms anymore. I just routed the tube down and lightly zip tied the end to a hose so all I have to do is turn the wheel and set a pan or cup to catch the oil.
It's not bad, to drain you push down on the valve which is easy, I just struggle every once in awhile getting the leverage with one finger to get it back up to close it, but I always get it in the end. Maybe you could just put a untrimmed zip tie on it or something so when you go to close you just have grab that and pull up?

jayrod1980

I like mine... A little hard to get the valve close given the location but the quality of the kit is amazing. Also, oil in intake, charge pipes, pretty much gone! After 1000 miles I got a decent amount in my mug. Next 1000 I'll try to take a picture. Only thing is I've rubbed the sticker off it already. I really wish they made a kit for my Flex Ecoboost too. That thing is oily as heck. Next up I need to get an oil cap breather.

Looking to order a Damond kit soon - can anyone explain to me the benefits of the VTA option and is it really worth it?

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Looking to order a Damond kit soon - can anyone explain to me the benefits of the VTA option and is it really worth it?
I was told thats only necessary when going big turbo so I didn't get one. I could be wrong though. I need to empty mine this weekend. It's been like 6k miles... Ha.

I believe it was damond that did a graphical explanation with some mad ms paint edits of photos. It was color coded with air flows and was the best I've seen. Can't remember if it was earlier in this thread or in the vendor section. Try and search on their posts.

jayrod1980

As far as I know, wouldn't having an oil cap breather from CFM accomplish the same thing? Also, unless there's a check valve at the VTA spot, wouldn't that mess with your emissions system and throw an engine code?

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I believe it was damond that did a graphical explanation with some mad ms paint edits of photos. It was color coded with air flows and was the best I've seen. Can't remember if it was earlier in this thread or in the vendor section. Try and search on their posts.
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...Catch-Can-kits?p=113149&viewfull=1#post113149

Damond's flow diagram / explaination (below):

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...Catch-Can-kits?p=113216&viewfull=1#post113216

So in these lovely MS paint drawings, that I am quite proud of, here's how the system operates under boost and vacuum. You'll have to imagine the VTA filter in place, as I didn't get any photos of the kit on our test car of it in place.

here's what the colors represent:

Green is vacuum flow, when the manifold is under vacuum
Red is boost flow, when the manifold is under boost
Yellow is crankcase pressure under boost
Orange circle is an open checkvalve
Orange X is a closed checkvalve

Vacuum:
Under vacuum the main checkvalve is open, and the manifold vacuum is pulling a vacuum on the crankcase. The VTA valve is closed, not allowing any un-metered air in.

Boost:
Under boost the boost from the manifold makes its way to the checkvalve where the valve is now closed and preventing boost into the OCC system. The pressure from the crankcase cracks open the PCV valve, makes it's way to the OCC and is then vented by the VTA valve which opens from the pressure as well. Total cracking pressure needed to open the PCV valve and the VTA valve is less than 0.5psi. It was hard to get a decent reading on this, as my gauge reads in incriminates of 1psi up to 60psi, but I barely got the needle to wiggle under the bottom mark.

I get how it works...but does it do anything of use compared to running the system without it?

jayrod1980

Oil Catch Can Comparo

Anecdotally, before my intake and charge pipes were nasty/greasy with oil. Every time I pulled them for any reason it stunk. Also, my cars cold side charge pipe sensor would get really wet with oil. Since installing the Damond catch can, I have no discernible oil in my pipes anymore, and zero smell when popping them as well. That alone is probably worth it, but it's great peace of mind. I'm ordering the oil cap vent ASAP too for hopefully more benefit. Couldn't be happier with my CC... Just wish Damond made one for the 3.5 ecoboost cars.

Emptied 1.5oz out of my Damond can today. 4,400 miles worth.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk