Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil Catch Can Comparo Thread

Which OCC did you install?

• Mishimoto

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • Boomba

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • James Barone Racing

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Damond Motorsports

Votes: 71 44.7%
  • "Custom"

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 18 11.3%

• Total voters
The OCC needs to be emptied. Not everyone would do this if Ford installed them on direct injection engines.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
If it was a factory install, I would think they could plumb a drain back to the oil pan with a check valve in it.

KKaWing

I'm new to this. But I have a question about this. If it's so important, especially for Direct Injected Turbo engines, how come Ford doesn't include one from the factory? I'm trying to determine if doing this is worth it for me.
There is a factory catch can. It's moderately effective. It only has "diverters" rather than outright baffles so some vapours get through. It is also attached to the engine so the agitation doesn't help. Yes, the "factory" filter drains back into the oil pan. I collect a tsp. of oil every 1000km. Is it absolutely necessary? I would say not. It's one of those can't hurt to have items. Unless you go vent to atmosphere, you'll never catch all the vapours. There will still be some that droops through the valve seals and carbon can still get on the valves during the overlap between the intake and exhaust stroke.

I think the way you drive has a bigger effect. Always getting it up to temperature and give it a good boot once in awhile to "burn off" some of the carbon probably helps. Driving it cold and not letting it get up to temperature really gunked up the early ecoboosts. The 1.6 spits out very little vapour though. I snaked in a cheap boroscope @ 10000km and it didn't look bad at all. A little deposit here and there but nothing significant that I could see. I've had a Damond non-vented can since ~4000km.

In short, I think an OCC is a peace of mind item that delays the inevitable valve clean service. I have yet to see someone post their valves reaching early VAG levels of buildup.

fST

There is a factory catch can. It's moderately effective. It only has "diverters" rather than outright baffles so some vapours get through. It is also attached to the engine so the agitation doesn't help. Yes, the "factory" filter drains back into the oil pan. I collect a tsp. of oil every 1000km. Is it absolutely necessary? I would say not. It's one of those can't hurt to have items. Unless you go vent to atmosphere, you'll never catch all the vapours. There will still be some that droops through the valve seals and carbon can still get on the valves during the overlap between the intake and exhaust stroke.

I think the way you drive has a bigger effect. Always getting it up to temperature and give it a good boot once in awhile to "burn off" some of the carbon probably helps. Driving it cold and not letting it get up to temperature really gunked up the early ecoboosts. The 1.6 spits out very little vapour though. I snaked in a cheap boroscope @ 10000km and it didn't look bad at all. A little deposit here and there but nothing significant that I could see. I've had a Damond non-vented can since ~4000km.

In short, I think an OCC is a peace of mind item that delays the inevitable valve clean service. I have yet to see someone post their valves reaching early VAG levels of buildup.
Thanks for the info! I might not worry about it then.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I've been searching around this thread a bit, thinking of picking up the Damond OCC and was curious if I should also go with the Vent to Atmosphere feature? It seems like a great feature and can add some extra piece of mind

KKaWing

VTA might not be emissions legal so ticket there, esp. if where you live requires you to pop the hood right there. Another consideration is autocross and other lapping/racing organizations might require a sealed system for certain classes. That said, you can probably just email or put a note with Damond to throw in the plug to swap from VTA and sealed.

grnmachine02

I've been searching around this thread a bit, thinking of picking up the Damond OCC and was curious if I should also go with the Vent to Atmosphere feature? It seems like a great feature and can add some extra piece of mind

They can also stink. VTA will huff oil vapor when stopped. At least sometimes it will.

Does anyone have the Damond unit with the vent feature? This would make getting a vented oil cap useless, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So is the oil build up on these motors similar to previous Eco boost units? I never thought this was an issue until I started reading these forums

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
anyone know the specs on the 2 fittings for the Mishimoto oil catch can?

mine keep loosening up and I'd like to replace with aluminum fittings + add as an optional upgrade when ordering one of these kits off my site
looked through various threads for the info and thought someone would have this w/o having to remove the can and spec the fitting.

thanks in advance!

GAbOS

anyone know the specs on the 2 fittings for the Mishimoto oil catch can?

mine keep loosening up and I'd like to replace with aluminum fittings + add as an optional upgrade when ordering one of these kits off my site
looked through various threads for the info and thought someone would have this w/o having to remove the can and spec the fitting.

thanks in advance!
The two screws that secure the can to the mount keep backing out on me. Something to keep in mind as well.

Can anyone else with a catch can report on how much fluid they've found trapped in it ?

This is after about 5,000 miles. And that is a pretty good sized 20 oz plastic cup. Sorry, I didn't feel like losing my hall pass by using one of the wife's measuring cups. [nono]

1001161858 (720x1280).jpg

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Is the consensus that the 3/8" hoses into the can are not a detriment, or do no harm as compared to the 5/8" in/out hose setups most of the manufacturers use?

I need to know before I go ahead and install my boomba racing can.

This is the ONLY thing which gives me any hesitation at all concerning this product (and the cutting of the factory PCV hose), as I like it's; construction, aesthetics, mounting point, and even the solidity of it's mount more than any of the others on the market for our cars.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
New Poll added at top of this thread...

"Which OCC did you install?"

If there are any other OCC kits available for the FiST that I overlooked please let me know and I will add it to the poll...

thanks