Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil Change - Engine Ticking

Ok, talk me off the ledge please.

Just changed my oil (500 miles on the engine), 5W-20 synthetic blend with a new motorcraft oil filter. 4.3 quarts, checked that the level is correct, and the engine is ticking. No warning lights, nothing different at all. Never happened on ANY of my old cars when I'd change the oil.

Did something catastrophic happen? (I've never owned a brand new car, it's making me incredibly paranoid!)

Harvick

1000 Post Club
Once the engine oil warms up and you drive it around the valve lifter noise should go away.

the ticking you hear is more likely the direct injection and not the lifters. These engines are noisey.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Most DFI cars sound like a diesel engine at somepoint.. (DFI=Direct Fuel Injection)
It is there nature I think they just crave the attention myself ;) lol

OP
M
Thread Starter #6
Thank you everyone!!! It died down once I drove it home. I've never been so paranoid just changing oil. Honestly I love this car, it's amazing!!

OP
M
Thread Starter #9
Not a great reason past "I read online that I should".

That having been said - I read online that the oil should be changed around 300 miles. I drive 70 miles a day, and only have one day per weekend free when I can stop by my wood shop. So I hit 300 on Wednesday, and was only able to change it today. Apparently a new engine drops metal shavings?

Honestly, the oil and filter cost maybe $30 all together; and like I said this is my first brand new car. I'm probably being insane, but I'm willing to try to keep this up if it means I can keep this car together.

And I *really* enjoy driving it!

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Not a great reason past "I read online that I should".

That having been said - I read online that the oil should be changed around 300 miles. I drive 70 miles a day, and only have one day per weekend free when I can stop by my wood shop. So I hit 300 on Wednesday, and was only able to change it today. Apparently a new engine drops metal shavings?

Honestly, the oil and filter cost maybe $30 all together; and like I said this is my first brand new car. I'm probably being insane, but I'm willing to try to keep this up if it means I can keep this car together.

And I *really* enjoy driving it!
If nothing else you got to bond with your car and feel good about the oil being clean and new .. Thats a fun way to spend your free day every now and again...

me32

1000 Post Club
Personally I'm at 6k on factory oil and ill change it about 7500. These new cars like to break in on the factory fill.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
If nothing else you got to bond with your car and feel good about the oil being clean and new .. Thats a fun way to spend your free day every now and again...
Rod,
By the Mod lists.
You and I are bonded TO our cars.

Dave

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Rod,
By the Mod lists.
You and I are bonded TO our cars.

Dave
Ya I kinda figured that when in Jan this year I was laying under it putting on the 2J exhaust while the snow and gunk dripped in my eyes causing me to have to remove my eyeglass's only to squah them later in the process.. Funny thing I just Laughed and fixed the glasses later after the install was done and a small vid was made.. Oh and the outside temp was around 10 DegF and I have no heater in my insulated garage .. LOL
Bonded it a good feeling though Rgiht Dave ?
This is such a fun little car that gets no respect.. lol had a guy ask me what kinda car is that squirrel powered thing .. I matter of fact told him its motor and trans are built in the UK it Hedgehog powered ... LOL