Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil filter relocation kit (sorta) FAIL!

I was looking at the top of the right side upper strut tower. I saw someone mounts their catch can in that area. What about relocating the oil filter there? Mount the filter so the opening faces down, like how hey sat on the RX-7??

Yes, you have to run lines, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #24
I was looking at the top of the right side upper strut tower. I saw someone mounts their catch can in that area. What about relocating the oil filter there? Mount the filter so the opening faces down, like how hey sat on the RX-7??

Yes, you have to run lines, but that shouldn't be too difficult.
Since this did not work I moved on. I have a strut brace which might be in the way. Likely will review it next spring unless I get my hands on some hose for other work. I'll keep everyone posted.

Since this did not work I moved on. I have a strut brace which might be in the way. Likely will review it next spring unless I get my hands on some hose for other work. I'll keep everyone posted.
I do not have a strut base. I'll see what I can do my end and post in here for info.

Sorry for resurrecting this post, but I just really want to make it so that the oil filter is accessible from the top and is drain-side down like I had on my old car.
Is there really no way to get a universal kit and install it? Is it an issue with the thread adapters?

I'm not good enough at this DIY stuff, so I was hoping there'd be a kit for the FiST by now.
Is there anything, anywhere on the internet regarding this?

The filter location isn't ideal but it's not really THAT bad. Unless of course you have incredible hulk sized hands.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^It DID take me a L-O-N-G time to get the threads caught and started on the 'supersize' (MUCH longer than the FL-400S!) Fram 3600 filter this last change. [:(]

^^^It DID take me a L-O-N-G time to get the threads caught and started on the 'supersize' (MUCH longer than the FL-400S!) Fram 3600 filter this last change. [:(]
I have the Mishi radiator and I use the longer filter as well so there is clearance, but you have to tilt it off of the thread to get It off. Also getting it on takes some finagling to get on.
I just want the convenience that I had on my old car along with not having oil spill from removing the filter, since the filter sat vertically and drained to the pan when the car is turned off.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yeah, I also was used to the easy, and 'logical' vertically mounted filter as well on my last ride, which i had for almost 17 years (an '00 Z28). [wink]

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I was curious about that kit. I always run the fl400s now that i learned it would fit.

I would rather be at WOT than participating in a project that is a WOT [burnout]

Last edited:

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I would rather be at WOT than participating in a project that is a WOT [burnout]
Idk a remote filter would be a lot nicer on my knuckles. Ive gained a half quart of oil just doing the 400s filter.

I bought a filter wrench from Advanced Auto like 20 years ago and I don't think I've removed a single filter without it since. Putting the filter on I just have a pair of "sticky" gloves and give it a nice hard seat and be done with it. Never had a problem but maybe I have normal size hands lol