Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

oil leaks found and repaired.(shifter Tower)

Hello peeps, noticed a couple drops of oil in my garage, looks like it is coming from 2 different places, one is from the oil filter /oil cooler area, the second one seems to be coming from the gear box area, I read somewhere that the gear box vent could be installed backwards, my other question is that I would like to know if there is like a return line that plugs to the bottom of the stock air box, i can see a nipple but no hose attached to it, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Sounds like your tranny is leaking. At the side the transmission are 2 exit holes that leave out from the slave cylinder. You have a line in and a bleeder nipple. Both of this are located under the battery very close to the airbox. You could have a leak at either of those points due to a bad slave cylinder. The slave cylinder replaces both these when you replace the part. Also, it's very possible you have leak by coming from your oil cooler/filter due to age but I'm not sure how often this happens. I'm almost positive there's a gasket on the back side of the cooler but first, when did you do your last oil change and did you wipe some of the old oil onto the filter gasket?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

OP
germanFST
Thread Starter #3
Thank you Rocketst, so to replace the slave cylinder the tranny needs to come out! I checked the fluid in the brake reservoir and it is not low , but I will add some and keep an eye on it, but yes the top of the gear box where the shifter is, is really caked and fluid. On a different subject I do not see any oil coming down from the filter, I always use old oil on the new filter at the gasket, I replaced the oil and filter around 500 miles ago, I cleaned the oil cooler but it is obviously leaking since the bottom of it is oily, how many hours of labor do you think will be to get the slave cylinder replaced? cost approximately? thank you for your help, I had many Subarus, this is my second Ford, seems like my Subarus were so much easier to work on.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Multiple people have pulled the transmission out of this car I haven't done it but I know for a fact you don't have to remove the motor.
Worst case scenario you have to drop the subframe but I believe a working mechanic just did one, and he was able to get it out without even dropping the subframe at the shop he works at.
This is why if you want to do something you haven't done before simply ask for advice on this site and you'll get multiple tips on how to do it.
One person on here has installed three limited slip differentials I would ask them.
There's also videos on YouTube as well. For this exact car doing transmission removal.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You can drop the transmission without removing the engine. Takes about 3 hours to get it out of the car.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
No. I removed the transmission without dropping the subframe or removing the engine itself when I was installing a helical LSD. Here's a post I made that details the process. Just be sure to keep the engine supported with the transmission removed, as without the transmission there is only the PSMM holding it in.
That's a awesome write-up. I have no plans to do this for a long time, but one day the car will need a clutch.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
No. I removed the transmission without dropping the subframe or removing the engine itself when I was installing a helical LSD. Here's a post I made that details the process. Just be sure to keep the engine supported with the transmission removed, as without the transmission there is only the PSMM holding it in.
Exactly this. Make sure you support the engine with a jack or jackstand

OP
germanFST
Thread Starter #9
Update, the oil filter was leaking at the base , it was not the oil cooler o-ring, so that leak is taking care of, now I topped of the brake reservoir, drove 60 miles, fluid did not go down but the gearbox is drenched and soaked with oil, looks like is coming from the back side of the gearbox, down around the output axle shaft seal, tomorrow I will be removing the airbox and looking for the gear box vent, I have not loose any pressure at the clutch pedal, hope is not the slave cylinder as mentioned by Rocketst. What connects to the nipple at the bottom of the airbox? is it a drain for the air box?

Be aware that Ford provides for a rather extensive Powertrain Warranty that includes the Transmission. Not certain but I believe that it's 7 years or 100,000 miles. If you have a bad slave cylinder and your car is still covered by that warranty the cost of repair is on Ford's dime.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Update, the oil filter was leaking at the base , it was not the oil cooler o-ring, so that leak is taking care of, now I topped of the brake reservoir, drove 60 miles, fluid did not go down but the gearbox is drenched and soaked with oil, looks like is coming from the back side of the gearbox, down around the output axle shaft seal, tomorrow I will be removing the airbox and looking for the gear box vent, I have not loose any pressure at the clutch pedal, hope is not the slave cylinder as mentioned by Rocketst. What connects to the nipple at the bottom of the airbox? is it a drain for the air box?
Could be a bad axle seal. Wish I could help with the airbox but I sold my stock one.

OP
germanFST
Thread Starter #14
looks to be coming from the top, I am getting ready to head to Anaheim 2 for the supercross with the family, i will take the airbox off tomorrow and see exactly where is it coming from. read something about the shift seal possibly being leaking on some cars , or the plug in which fluid is added at the factory.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
looks to be coming from the top, I am getting ready to head to Anaheim 2 for the supercross with the family, i will take the airbox off tomorrow and see exactly where is it coming from. read something about the shift seal possibly being leaking on some cars , or the plug in which fluid is added at the factory.
Enjoy the SX. I went to the St Louis one last weekend, and it was great! One of the better ones we've had.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club

PunkST

2000 Post Club
If that lower nipple on the airbox is in the place in thinking it is, its sealed off. It might be used on a different model car for something, but not on the ST.

OP
germanFST
Thread Starter #19
Lots of oil on that cooler. You should get a new filter because that one looks overtightened and looks like it's crushing its own gasket. It's looks like it's sandwiched. I'd also check the cooler threads and make sure they are good to go.

already changed the oil filter, that leak is taking cared of, the other leak I will have to find...

Intuit

3000 Post Club
There are at least a few threads on axle shaft seals seeping fluid. Seeping seems to be common. Outright leaking might be unusual at this point.