Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Other trans fluids for refill

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I know there is the ravenol stuff, and the ford motorcraft. Im wondering if there are others i could pick up at an auto parts store that will sufficiently do the job.

I used a couple different things on my old svt focus ( royal purple synchromesh, and i think deisel engine oil at one point just for grins)

Im trying to make sure i get good life out of the car. And at 80k its probably overdue

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I know there is the ravenol stuff, and the ford motorcraft. Im wondering if there are others i could pick up at an auto parts store that will sufficiently do the job.

I used a couple different things on my old svt focus ( royal purple synchromesh, and i think deisel engine oil at one point just for grins)

Im trying to make sure i get good life out of the car. And at 80k its probably overdue
If it meets Ford spec for the FiST ....go for it...just remember not to be too frugal. I run the Ravenol 75w80...one of the best and very noticable changes in the fluid area that was immediately felt. Don't forget also...2L not 1.6L when you fill!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Spork1569

If it meets Ford spec for the FiST ....go for it...just remember not to be too frugal. I run the Ravenol 75w80...one of the best and very noticable changes in the fluid area that was immediately felt. Don't forget also...2L not 1.6L when you fill!

Second the ravenol, I changed to the MTF 2 and while I couldn't read the label at all its been a great oil. The fact that the Amazon description says it meets Ford spec as well as the fact it's an actual gear oil instead of DCTF(which the stock fluid is) made it an easy choice.

And like typhoon said immediately noticeable difference from stock. And measuring 2l is super easy as you just buy two bottles and dump em all in.

Last edited:
OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Cool that i can use synchromax again on this car. I may try the ravenol in the near future. Gonna be under the car this weekend again and remembered it needs doing. Lol. And yes to two liters.

Spork1569

OE Ford spec factory fill is not gear oil, it is DCTF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I question a few things Ford does from the factory lol, and I just feel better with gear oil in a manual transmission myself, but to each their own.

I could see the appeal of switching to a better DCTF like motul in order to stay as close to oem as possible.

As long as it meets Ford spec there should be no harm in which you go with.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Redline DCTF has been working well for me. I haven't found a store that stocks it, but Summit Racing always has it for a good price
That is quality stuff. They now also make a spec'ed gear oil for our trans as well.

2017 Magnetic FiST w/Recaros

danbfree

3000 Post Club
OE Ford spec factory fill is not gear oil, it is DCTF.
If you don't understand that meeting EXACT FORD SPEC with Ravenol MTF-2 makes your point moot, sorry bro, but it's not exactly a logical point to keep pushing. It's VERY likely that since they had just came out with those DCT's that they used that for volume pricing and use it up, there is just no logical counter arguing against something that meets exact Ford spec, save the arguments for using random stuff that doesn't meet Ford spec and even then it's likely not a problem as long as it's full synthetic and a known good brand. Now, I will say for those that insist on using DCT fluid, I'd use the Triax SynTrans over factory, it's full synthetic unlike factory, meets Ford spec and as a bonus it's only $16/qt. on Amazon and 2 full qts is still better than the 1.75qts (1.67L) they use at the factory.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I could care less what people put in, I just donā€™t like false information to spread. It does the community no good.
Right, like trying to argue against using a product that meets EXACTLY the same Ford spec as the factory fill, right? Now THAT is what I would call spreading false information.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I question a few things Ford does from the factory lol, and I just feel better with gear oil in a manual transmission myself, but to each their own.

I could see the appeal of switching to a better DCTF like motul in order to stay as close to oem as possible.

As long as it meets Ford spec there should be no harm in which you go with.
The better DCT fluid that actually does meet Ford spec is Triax SynTrans and it's actually full synthetic and cheap as well! I think we all know about the one guy who blames his failed trans on Motul, which doesn't meet Ford spec, but I think that was just a coincidence. For my own peace of mind I'll stick to what meets Ford spec myself, love my Ravenol MTF-2 for now!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I found the Redline that meets Ford spec WSS-M2C200-D2 that our trans calls for, it's called MT-LV and even Koozy was the one who first posted it in this forum... However it's only 70w-75, I'm not sure that it would be appropriate for you guys down south in the desert where it hits 115+ degrees, but sound good for where it's mild/colder.

Spork1569

The better DCT fluid that actually does meet Ford spec is Triax SynTrans and it's actually full synthetic and cheap as well! I think we all know about the one guy who blames his failed trans on Motul, which doesn't meet Ford spec, but I think that was just a coincidence. For my own peace of mind I'll stick to what meets Ford spec myself, love my Ravenol MTF-2 for now!
I didn't read about the blown motul transmission till now, guess I'm glad I decided on the ravenol in the end. Like you said it well likely have just been a bad transmission that happened to have motul put into it, but the peace of mind knowing the fluid meets Ford spec is one of the main reasons I ended up with ravenol over other brands.

koozy

3000 Post Club
If you don't understand that meeting EXACT FORD SPEC with Ravenol MTF-2 makes your point moot, sorry bro, but it's not exactly a logical point to keep pushing. It's VERY likely that since they had just came out with those DCT's that they used that for volume pricing and use it up, there is just no logical counter arguing against something that meets exact Ford spec, save the arguments for using random stuff that doesn't meet Ford spec and even then it's likely not a problem as long as it's full synthetic and a known good brand. Now, I will say for those that insist on using DCT fluid, I'd use the Triax SynTrans over factory, it's full synthetic unlike factory, meets Ford spec and as a bonus it's only $16/qt. on Amazon and 2 full qts is still better than the 1.75qts (1.67L) they use at the factory.
I said I don't care what people use. I just stated that what comes delivered in the transmission is DCTF, not gear oil.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I found the Redline that meets Ford spec WSS-M2C200-D2 that our trans calls for, it's called MT-LV and even Koozy was the one who first posted it in this forum... However it's only 70w-75, I'm not sure that it would be appropriate for you guys down south in the desert where it hits 115+ degrees, but sound good for where it's mild/colder.
Yeah, that is closer to the Ravenol MTF-3 in viscosity. [wink]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's not even hardly noticeable when its cold here in the winter in Mn....we get really cold sometimes!

Last edited: