Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Overheating and no cold A/C while sitting still

This problem only started once it became hot (100+* outside) about a month ago. This is a 2016 I've had since December, 14,000 miles. Basically, no matter what temp the car is or outside air, how I've been driving it, the A/C only will pump out outside temperature air if its sitting still. If I creep along at 5 mph it slightly cools down, and by 20 mph its ice cold again. Anything above 20 mph, at any speed in any gear, its ice cold.

Also, once its warmed up, if I sit still for a couple of minutes with the car running (i.e., a coffee stand) the coolant temp light comes on and the overheating ding goes off. If I start moving the car above 20 mph for even 30 seconds it goes away and doesnt come back on. It doesn't come on going up hills or under load, only if its standing still. The fans are working.

The only mods I have done to this car are speakers/amps (but right now the amps are turned off until I can fix the ground loop problem I have), eliminated the sound symposer, and added a mishimoto oil catch can.

I don't know for sure if the two problems are related, but they started within a week of each other (though the overheating problem may have, I normally drive straight to work and straight home, without stops).

Any ideas?? If its something simple I'd rather not take it to the dealer, so seeing if theres any insight into this. Other than below 20 mph the car has no issues (or at least none worth mentioning).

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Sounds like the engine fan isn't running. It should run full time once the A/C is activated.

Overheating is super serious. If it doesn't kill an engine it will knock something like 30k off the life of the engine with each instance.

Let us known what happens.

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
I never heard about it, but I searched and I do have the wrong the relay. It looks a little melted on one side. Is there a parts store one I can use until I get it into the dealer? Or run it without the relay? Or with A/C off? I just need to drive back and forth to work until I can get it in. And hopefully they have one in stock, won't know until tomorrow because no one is there on the weekends.

OP
T
Thread Starter #5
At most it ran for maybe 1 minute tops with the light on, both times I was back in traffic right away.

So on this relay thing, what is the root problem? Is it the pins, the wrong amperage, what is the issue? And is it a case of it was working but burns out? Just curious as to whats going on.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Do these cars have a coolant temp 'fail safe' type over ride of the AC controls which shuts down the compressor when an overheat condition is detected??

Is this what happened to BK when he overheated due to the bad relay (hopefully), and had no AC at idle?

There was a recall for the fan relay, I would take it in to the dealer and have them check it out. I'm in Houston, and we have had a hot summer, but I have not had any overheating issues on my 2016.

Do these cars have a coolant temp 'fail safe' type over ride of the AC controls which shuts down the compressor when an overheat condition is detected??

Is this what happened to BK when he overheated due to the bad relay (hopefully), and had no AC at idle?
No, the A/C will not cool with no air flow across the condenser, so when not moving and no fan the A/C has no capacity.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Even though you can probably just replace the relay and be done with it, (provided there isn't damage the contacts in the fuse and relay center,) take it to the dealer for the purpose of documentation. That way you're theoretically covered if something, possibly related to overheating occurs in the future; such as oil or compression ring failure.

Even though you can probably just replace the relay and be done with it, (provided there isn't damage the contacts in the fuse and relay center,) take it to the dealer for the purpose of documentation. That way you're theoretically covered if something, possibly related to overheating occurs in the future; such as oil or compression ring failure.
Great advice right there.

Also, overheating an aluminum engine can cause the head/block to warp.

me32

1000 Post Club
Over heating any engine is bad. Take it to the dealer asap. Get it fixed before damage occurs

OP
T
Thread Starter #12
Called the dealer monday, they got the relay in the next day. Drove there straight after work, in and out in 5 minutes. Waiting for someone to find a piece of paper to write down the mileage took the longest. Thanks for the help, runs fine now.