Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Overheating!!! Argghhh!! Overheating!!!!!!

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #41
I have some Harry's Lap Timer data - so, yeah, was pushing it. HMSR is a rather technical track, with a few hairpins, so I braked from about 95 to 30 and then accelerated to 95 again in a couple of sectors.

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #42
Tracked my '15 FiST at VIR full in 83f weather with stock tune and never had an overheating problem. I got 10.3mpg if that helps tell you how much I was pushing it.
Seems that the boundary lies somewhere about 85-90F; stock tune certainly helps, but I was able to overheat one of the Miller/OA FiSTs yesterday with the air temp around 97F. Took a few laps, however. For my Cobb 93 tuned FiST, outside temperature also does make a difference. In my OP, I did not include the fact that during the track day, a storm passed over the facility and the temperature dropped to mid 80s, which "bought me" a good 6 laps more before the oil temp went past the threshold.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Can you link your video please?
http://youtu.be/gvD__E0SKdc

Correction.... It was from a cool ( normal engine temp start) to over heating in LESS THAN 4 MINUTES on a 72 degree night.

You only have to watch the first 4min or so before I back off of it and hit the defroster.

The first time it happened, I didn't notice the coolant temps, but I was logging the oil temp, and it peaked at 259 degrees ( on a cooler night, but I ran the car until the dumby light came on ). So during this run, on this night, I was mindful to watch the temps. No amount of fan duty cycle would help in those conditions..

I believe this was on.... 28.5psi? Give or take.? Maybe not... I can't remember the mechanical make up of the car, although, I'm sure it had the cyborg on it. Some of my videos are on E30, some are on pump gas, and some have a passenger. And yes... Some are upside down because it was first time I used my new go-pro, lol

http://youtu.be/gvD__E0SKdc

Correction.... It was from a cool ( normal engine temp start) to over heating in LESS THAN 4 MINUTES on a 72 degree night.

You only have to watch the first 4min or so before I back off of it and hit the defroster.

The first time it happened, I didn't notice the coolant temps, but I was logging the oil temp, and it peaked at 259 degrees ( on a cooler night, but I ran the car until the dumby light came on ). So during this run, on this night, I was mindful to watch the temps. No amount of fan duty cycle would help in those conditions..

I believe this was on.... 28.5psi? Give or take.? Maybe not... I can't remember the mechanical make up of the car, although, I'm sure it had the cyborg on it. Some of my videos are on E30, some are on pump gas, and some have a passenger. And yes... Some are upside down because it was first time I used my new go-pro, lol
Thanks. I feel a little bit better seeing how hard your were pushing the car at least. You must be very familiar with those roads. [burnout]

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Yes sir. Its in a phosphate mine that is like 50 years old. No residential or through traffic other than mining traffic during the day on weekdays ( which is like 1 truck per hour ). I found it via the local street bike forum about 10 years ago. Florida is really really flat, so a curvy road naturally attracts street bikes. Although... It does take a bit to drive out to it, but its worth it to not risk anyone else's safety. I def make sure my phone is blue-toothed to my sync with 9-1-1 assistance while I'm driving, because I wouldn't be found until the morning at best.

Anyway, sure, I'm pushing the car, but... Its not like I'm making 400hp either. But like I said before, ford/ OEM's are trying go channel the air around the front of the car and only taking the minimum it needs stock to cool the car. That helps fuel mileage. Plenty of things we could do...

Rodmoe's new hood vents, distilled water, remove the upper cowling, remove the upper grill plastic that blocks the radiator.

What I did in later videos was, I'd make runs with the heater/defroster slightly on with the sunroof open. If I remember correctly, I don't think I ever over heated it on E30, but... I was doing so much testing and so many runs back then; its hard to keep it all straight.

Of course.... Once mistu releases their radiator, that's going to be the best solution.

i might have missed it, and i did try to search, but what do you guys/gals think the oil temp threshold would be ? When do you guys start backing it down and cooling off ?

I would consider engine oil temps over 300 degrees F to be the time to cool it down. Even the latest synthetic racing engine oils start breaking down much higher than 300. I understand that the Sprint Cup teams are pushing technology to bring this threshold higher, but to my knowledge, the oil manufacturers are still in the development stage.

Thanks for the feedback .. I'll keep an eye out, gonna take the Fiesta out since my primary track car is down ...

meFiSTo

IMHO, neither the Focus ST nor the Fiesta ST were REALLY designed to take open lapping abuse from the factory for long periods of time (the 20 minute sessions of a typical track day are on the edge). If you compound that with tunes intended to add HP/TQ and hot ambient temps, well, we're asking for trouble. i passed on an event earlier this month at The Ridge when the temps were expected to exceed 90 degrees. It's why I'm a planning to add the big Mishimoto radiator and the their oil cooler over the winter. Despite a mild MP215 tune, I want to be able to take the car out to a summer event and have a reasonable chance of getting through the day with chance to be at least close to the spec safe maximums (whatever they are).

With an oil cooler on my old Powerworks SVT Focus, the temps (as read by a digital oil temp gauge) never ticked above 220 even during the peak of the summer in an open lapping setting. This is a smaller engine running modified FI. I'm hoping a large volume radiator and an oil cooler will have a similar effect on this car.

88 degree day in Fontana, CA and had a high of 236F oil temp .. I run a mocal dual core laminova on my usual track car and never see temps like this so as soon as I saw that on the AP it was time to back it down .. still a lot of fun though! A morning and afternoon of point by's .. :)
)

As probably one of the very few with the 2J Radiator I can attest to its help in this regard. Without modifying anything else but swapping the radiator and coolant for Amsoil's coolant I was able to do full 20 minute sessions without hitting limp mode in 98F weather with 80% humidity. Before doing this change I would hit limp mode in 4-5 minutes of running flat out.

Oil temps did remain elevated at around 240-250 though, not to mention my charge air temps where around 140-150F as well.

Before hitting the track again I'm going to be adding the DHM intercooler, an air to oil cooler bypassing the stock one to remove the oil heat load from the coolant, a downpipe and opening up the bottom half of the front grill. All this in the name of cooling and reliability as I dont have plans of doing extensive mods. I just want it to be reliable so I can take it to the track and enjoy plenty of seat time.

My car is 100% stock except for the radiator and brake lines. I have a COBB AP and run the stg3 tune on the street for shits and giggles but at the track I left it on the stg0 map.

Hopefully I'll be able to run the stg3 map on track without heating issues when I do all the aforementioned mods.

As probably one of the very few with the 2J Radiator I can attest to its help in this regard. Without modifying anything else but swapping the radiator and coolant for Amsoil's coolant I was able to do full 20 minute sessions without hitting limp mode in 98F weather with 80% humidity. Before doing this change I would hit limp mode in 4-5 minutes of running flat out.

Oil temps did remain elevated at around 240-250 though, not to mention my charge air temps where around 140-150F as well.

Before hitting the track again I'm going to be adding the DHM intercooler, an air to oil cooler bypassing the stock one to remove the oil heat load from the coolant, a downpipe and opening up the bottom half of the front grill. All this in the name of cooling and reliability as I dont have plans of doing extensive mods. I just want it to be reliable so I can take it to the track and enjoy plenty of seat time.

My car is 100% stock except for the radiator and brake lines. I have a COBB AP and run the stg3 tune on the street for shits and giggles but at the track I left it on the stg0 map.

Hopefully I'll be able to run the stg3 map on track without heating issues when I do all the aforementioned mods.
How did the car run with all the mods of a stage 3 dialed back down to 0 ?

I don't have any mods sans the rad, COBB RMM, AP and stoptech brake lines. I was being a dip shit and running stg3 without the required mods but always paying attention to charge air temps.