Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Overheating!!!

I've been trying to decide where to take it. I've had terrible experiences with all the local dealers. Last time my car was in to one of the local dealers for an oil change, they somehow managed to destroy my Cobb intake.
Understood. I'm happy to document feedback on your past service experiences, and assist with locating another Ford Dealer nearby. To do so, all I'll need is for you to PM the previously requested info, and your ZIP.

I've already suggested that to him, but he says that he is so busy with work (he owns his own media company) that he needs to depend on the dealer to service the car and doesn't wasn't to get tied up in a pi$$ing contest with Ford or his dealer. He is in Vancouver (with his ST) right now doing a project with Disney and then it's off to Salt Lake City (flying) for another project with Warner Brothers and then back to the NorthWest (probably with the ST) for a project with Microsoft. It goes on like that for months.
Ironically, he did the voice over last year for Ford's Escape national ad campaign...now it looks like he is no fan.

Thanks for the suggestion, though....
Hey NorthernProducer,

I'll gladly look further into this once your son is able to get the ST into a Ford Dealership. To do so, all I'll need is for you to PM his name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. :)

Wow, this is crazy. So far, the only issues I've had with my car were:

A. I tried taking off from a light WOT, and when I shifted into 2nd gear, it was like my car died. It became completely unresponsive. The overall opinion is that it was probably heat related.
B. I had my car shut itself off while filling up at a gas station.
C. Yesterday, I got in my car to leave work, and the screens and everything shut off and it gave me the double honk as if I exited my car with the key while it was running.

The car definitely gets heat soaked very easily with just spirited driving on the highway, so I can only imagine what a track day would do to it.
Hey TheGreenOne,

Thanks for posting about the issues you're experiencing. Please PM your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number - I'll take a look and see how I can help.

Nick

Hey NorthernProducer,

I'll gladly look further into this once your son is able to get the ST into a Ford Dealership. To do so, all I'll need is for you to PM his name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. :)
Thanks, Nick. I will pass along your message to my son, but given his heavy travel schedule, not sure about how quickly he'll react. Note, also, he already took his ST into his dealer and they said the car was OK. Not sure what they did to trouble shoot, but his car is certainly NOT OK.

Thanks, Nick. I will pass along your message to my son, but given his heavy travel schedule, not sure about how quickly he'll react. Note, also, he already took his ST into his dealer and they said the car was OK. Not sure what they did to trouble shoot, but his car is certainly NOT OK.
My pleasure - I'll keep an eye out for your PM.

Nick

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
[MENTION=3220]TheGreenOne[/MENTION]

the WOT issue probably sent your car into Limp mode. mine did it at the drag strip when i was down there for the first time last summer. i ripped off the line, wheels hopped a bit and "POOF" car was dead for about 2 seconds then sprung back to life and i finished the run. after the second time it happened i narrowed it to the wheel hop. the following run i went easier on the gass as to not cause the wheels to spin/hop and it ran fine. Time suffered a bit for it but still chewed the BMW i was running against.

OP
LeonardSkeonard
Thread Starter #45
I received my Mishimoto oil cooler on Friday. Installing it this week, then I will report back.

Siestarider

Having experienced excessive temps (the red light comes on at coolant temps over 240) tracking this summer, I removed the nose and inspected the air shielding around radiator.

Found a vertical gap on right hand side, smaller gaps elsewhere, including one place the original weatherstrip was missing. Fixed all these potential radiator bypass gaps with weatherstrip and duct tape. Also cut most of the airbag sensor bar away, left enough metal to hold it together, taped up the mounting hole gaps both sides. Also weatherstripped the IC against lower air shield.

Drove it around town couple weeks to see if anything complained about heat in traffic. No problems.

Today ran three 20-30 min track sessions, mid-80's temps, coolant stayed below 230 and oil below 250. I am still running the original coolant, having added only water since new.

If it will cool this well when its 95 out, I will be happy.

jayrod1980

Giving this a bump to see if the OP has had any change or improvement since either taking the car in to the dealer or after the oil cooler? I wonder if there's a block somewhere or a kink keeping the radiator from doing its job properly? It would suck if this is a widespread issue. Living in the desert I have my concerns about the car holding up to bolt-ons and whatnot.

OP
LeonardSkeonard
Thread Starter #48
Giving this a bump to see if the OP has had any change or improvement since either taking the car in to the dealer or after the oil cooler? I wonder if there's a block somewhere or a kink keeping the radiator from doing its job properly? It would suck if this is a widespread issue. Living in the desert I have my concerns about the car holding up to bolt-ons and whatnot.
Ford told me they "could not replicate customer over-temp concern"

Oil cooler seems to have helped a bit. I'll be at Laguna Seca on Dec. 13 to see if I'm still having issues, although ambient temperatures should be pretty low.

OP
LeonardSkeonard
Thread Starter #49
Having experienced excessive temps (the red light comes on at coolant temps over 240) tracking this summer, I removed the nose and inspected the air shielding around radiator.

Found a vertical gap on right hand side, smaller gaps elsewhere, including one place the original weatherstrip was missing. Fixed all these potential radiator bypass gaps with weatherstrip and duct tape. Also cut most of the airbag sensor bar away, left enough metal to hold it together, taped up the mounting hole gaps both sides. Also weatherstripped the IC against lower air shield.

Drove it around town couple weeks to see if anything complained about heat in traffic. No problems.

Today ran three 20-30 min track sessions, mid-80's temps, coolant stayed below 230 and oil below 250. I am still running the original coolant, having added only water since new.

If it will cool this well when its 95 out, I will be happy.
I will look in to this to see if it helps! Glad it worked for you.

How are you guys reading oil temps? My AIM SOLO DL reads coolant temps but not oil.

Does the Accessport v3 read oil temps? Does the Fiesta ST even report oil temps through the CAN bus at all?

Thanks for confirming that for me. I'll try to get ahold of an Accessport before my next track day so I can log oil temps. Recently installed the Mishimoto oil cooler, hope I can do more than half a lap without car overheating now :)

OP
LeonardSkeonard
Thread Starter #55
The accessport's oil temperature reading is an inferred value. There's no actual oil temperature sensor on our cars

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I just posted on the Cobb thread asking what we want to see, an interface for actual oil and water temp senders that feeds into the Accessport to display real time temps would be a very fine thing indeed!

--------------------

One thing I have posted many times and never seen anybody do this yet besides myself is to open up the areas between the cross ribs on the lower section of the radiator support. You can gain quite a bit more airflow through the IC that way which should also cause less warmed air to be forced through the radiator.

It is also a good idea make sure all the air that enters the grill be sealed up to keep from escaping around the coolers.

Another way to help with cooling is to drill big holes in the crash sensor mount as it is a very poor design for air flow, wide, forward facing edges, very disruptive and blocking off quite a bit of cooler surface direct flow. I have seen this done a bit, I did mine long ago then went a step further and made a much smaller surface area mount, just 1/2", now running the DHM race beam and IC and no mount at all.

Even if you keep the stock bumper beam you can still open up at least 2 or 3 rows of the grill to allow more air into the coolers.