Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Partial DIY catch can using parts on hand and a bit more work than it seemed it would take!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I had a spare catch can from my Vette days but the inlet out outlet were half the size of the stock hose so I bought an $18 tap and spent a lot of effort taping the side and even more as had to drill 2" deep then tap far enough into the top.

I have a bunch of AN fittings but I found some proper size NTP to PEX brass adapters that fit and weighed half of what multi-part AN fittings weigh. I was at my local Ace, I might of found nice ABS ones like on the other new CC thread just posted if I had gone to the city but still for brass not bad at 1.4 oz each on my postal scale.

I needed to keep this as close to the strut tower and forward as possible due to the planned 180 degree 3" aluminum elbow I am going to use on my intake build so this catch can design worked well, it is a true catch can, baffled, etc...billet aluminum, well made.

I wanted black hose but had this good quality blue rubber hose on hand so gave it a try.

Not the stainless steel wire tie I used instead of other style clamps? Barely any weight and they will not slip, come loose, etc.....

I did not need to use it on the engine side but it looks nicer and just in case, I know it will be secure no matter what.

Ram horn in hose is to prevent kinks, I was considering mounting the can higher up and using a PEX elbow but this looks better to me, for now at least, there is hood clearance as well, no worries there.

Since I had most everything I just had to buy the tap but it is now in my tool collection for later days and then two fittings for under $6 for the pair.

----------------

Next installment is fitting a drain tube instead of valve at the bottom of the can, the valve will be at the end of the tube and easy to get to.

iso100

1000 Post Club
What's inside the can? Any kind of baffle material? Stainless wool or multilayer mesh?

Nice blue hoses, you and Rodmoe could start a club!

Looks like a 90 degree bend in the hose coming from the crank case would go a long way in making that hose lay flat.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
I have a 90 pex bend, very light for brass, that and the SS wire clamps I make would reduce some weight over that much hose so going to do it.

I wanted to use some fabric covered black hose but would have to order $30 worth for the little bit needed and already had this good new hose but kind of like a bit of color to take away some of the pretty ugly engine look.

I might get on more 90 and really clean it up but I wish they made them in 45's!

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
I bought a second PEX 90 today but decided it just would not look very good so I went ahead and used a 1/2 NTP to AN piece in the top of the CC and then a 90 degree AN to push on looks great and the weight savings in the half length hose more than paid off.

I am now looking at moving the CC a bit and using AN fittings for the outlet side but it is a bit of a tight fit.

---------------

The CC has a small none metalic material in the baffle section I am going to replace with SS wool and add a secondary layer below it by cutting some plates and mounting them inside the can. In the end if I was still running my business I would just buy the best CC made and put it on but I am retired and love doing this stuff so why not have some fun:)

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
I replaced the top inlet with AN fittings, ended up saving weight with the reduction in hose length and not having two brass elbows though the PEX ones are low weight and I had the AN ones.

Now I want to change the side fittings but the ones I have are to bulky but found a simple 1/2 NTP to hose barb for $3.97 on Summit, after I placed an order for Motul 300 gear lube and Castrol SRF brake fluid($$$$ but the best)