Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Performance all seasons?

So I wanted summer tires but I’m on a budget, evans tire is doing 2 for 4 right now and I wanted ecsta ps31’s (the guy told me it’s essentially a slick only for the track and can’t handle water at all which I’m pretty sure he’s wrong about) but anyways their out of stock the only other summer tire is a p zero Nero but it’s a little out of budget so I think I’m stuck with a performance all season so ventus v2 concept2 h457’s any good? Or the ecsta 51’s any good?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
He has NO CLUE about which he speaks, whatsoever!

The Kumho PS31 is barely a UHP street tire with that high tread wear rating, and very 'sipey/tready' tread pattern, let alone an open track/autocross "slick", or even semi-slick! [nono]

Even their PS91 is solely a STREET summer UHP tire, albeit with a more performance oriented tread pattern and compounding, and it is somewhat comparable to the Conti ExtremeContact/Extreme Contact DW class of tires.

The ONLY track/autocross capable, 200 treadwear DOT tires they offer are the V700s, V720s, and V730s, with very limited applications for our use, and only if one changes their wheel diameter/size.

They do offer full road race slicks, but of course nothing we could use, and outright dangerous for street use.

OP
T
Thread Starter #3
Yeah I thought so I was very annoyed by him how are the pa51’s because I guess it’s hard to find summer right now. how would these ties compare to indy 500's that i have now. my 500's didnt last long so i wont be getting them again until i have more money to burn.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am not familiar with any of their tires personally (I liked and wanted their V720s, but they never offered any size I could use in that model [:(]), but someone on here must have used those PA51 all seasons somewhere along the line.

IF Evans could get you the PS31s (given where you live, and not really needing all seasons), those look to be the best performance for the price option in the Kumho range for our OEM size, and would not give up huge amounts of grip/performance over the Indys you had (with possibly better wear/longevity).

Last edited:
OP
T
Thread Starter #5
I ordered the all seasons I badly need new tires and I’m tired of shopping and their 2 for 4 deal ends soon. I’m not really seeing any summers around, Are they harder to find in the winter or something?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It could be that they just don't stock as many summer tires during the winter season, or it could be that they run low year 'round in Cali specifically due to most going for summer tires all of the time (along with the cliched 'supply chain' problem explanation as well).

The PA51s will be cushier, slightly better in the rain and deep standing puddles (IF you still ever get those in that drier than a bone land), maybe even get you through light snow over some of lower passes of the Sierras, and give a less harsh ride than the PS31s.
But, of course the turn-in response, and ultimate grip will be worse, along with greater mid corner 'scrubbing' of the 'sipier' tread pattern blocks than the PS31s.

OP
T
Thread Starter #7
Ok cool, I don’t need as much grip as the Indy’s and I would rather have a slightly nicer ride anyways.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I run PA51s all year round and the grip is sufficient for off/on ramp antics :) And they get me through the snow well enough when needed.

OP
T
Thread Starter #9
Cool, how would you say they compare to one of the more popular summers out their, if you’ve used them

I've always had good luck with "performance" all seasons from Kumho, but it's been a long time since I've used them now. My car came with some Michelin AS3's, which are probably a bit higher priced, but they are very nice tires for an all season.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I've always had good luck with "performance" all seasons from Kumho, but it's been a long time since I've used them now. My car came with some Michelin AS3's, which are probably a bit higher priced, but they are very nice tires for an all season.
As much as so many on here RAG ON the Pilot Sport all seasons, I too was very impressed with them (I even purposely ordered the car with them over the Potenzas) when I still had my OEM setup, and only wish that they offered them in more sizes we could use (215/40-17, 215/45-16, 215/50-15). [wink]

Sam4

I think I'm at 50% on my Vredesteins - 215.45.17's. and boy are they getting slippery. Clutch out, step on it.....delay for spinning tires...delay..delay...OFF WE GO!

OP
T
Thread Starter #13
ya know i think these tires are great, plenty of grip, i think the indys were a little overboard for me personally. these being much cheaper, they ride is noticeably better and they supposably have a much higher wear rating, with the indys they would never even get close to breaking traction without really trying which is honestly less fun. im glad i was forced into trying all-seasons. with the price they were i think i would buy them again.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Cool, how would you say they compare to one of the more popular summers out their, if you’ve used them
I sold my summers weeks after I bought the car and haven't run any since. I don't have the budget to run two sets of wheels and tires so I've always just settled on a good UHP all season.

I finally replaced the stock tires with Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06 Pluses, and am pretty impressed. I'm fairly low on coils, and I didn't get any rub until I had to use them on an autocross after I had a failure in one of my 660s right be fore the last event. They do good driven fairly hard, and don't fall on their face in a little bit of snow. Good stuff.

I've always had good luck with Conti's. Their tires are always really highly rated for rain as well.

Lays

DWS 06 from conti are great, they're excellent in the rain and work great in the snow, and can still be beat up on backroads! I had some for like 30k miles and loved em.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^IF they offered the 16" sizes we could use in XL instead of SL ratings, they'd be on my daily driver Dekagrams right now. [wink] [thumb]

I am currently on Indy 500s but have AS4s on the way in stock size 205/40/17. I am running 17x7 OZ Ultraleggera’s and live in Oregon. I’ll keep you posted as to how I like the AS4s after I get some seat time with them.

Although he’s not on here often anymore, my buddy @S_Manley is the end all be all to tire buying. He recommended I get the Indy’s and the AS4s, and he also recommended a set of Vredesteins for my wife’s RX and we love them.

Sean