Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Poll.. To Mod or not to Mod, and Why?

Poll..To MOD or not to MOD.. and WHY?

• NO MOD: It'll be a collector car in 25 years.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Probably just going with MP215 and Intercooler. I like the tune a lot and both are warranty friendly. Have some Team Dynamic's 17x7 waiting in the wings to shed some unsprung weight and maybe add a brace or two then done.

Dib

The main reason I went fist>fost was because of the countless reviews I've seen about how fun the car is. Being a daily driver/long distance commuter I wanted/needed a car that could reliably and efficiently get me across the country but not be boring as allgetout to drive. For 80% of my driving, it's the perfect little car as it came off the factory floor. But I've never been one to leave anything well enough alone. I can't not mod a car to make it "better" and more "mine." yet, because it needs the ability to be driven M-F every week I do need to keep mods to things I can do in my driveway on a weekend. With the end, hopefully, being a 10:1 power-to-weight.

Waterfan

Interestingly, for the amount of $$$ put into mods, most people could have just bought the FoST instead. Sometimes its about how much we have (or are willing to spend)for the initial purchase, but then later we the bucks to spend for mods. Sometimes it's that we love the car but just want to make it a little better. .. and a little better.. .. and a little better.... .. the FMIC won't give you any more power, it will just keep you from losing power to heat soak.
I'm not upgrading my FiST because I have "FoST envy". I picked the FiST because, for me, it was superior to the FoST in all ways but raw power and space. I already can't use 100% of the FiST's power even 50% of the time, and I don't need the marginally extra space. For me, the FiST was my top choice.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just sharing a slightly different perspective on personal motivations/opinions.

Whatever anyone's reasons, and whether anyone mods or not, we should do whatever we want to do to enjoy our FiSTs to the fullest :)

OP
Zormecteon

Zormecteon

Thread Starter #25
I personally chose the FiST because the FoST just seemed like too big a car, and is just not a "nimble". I never meant to imply FoST envy in my previous post, just pointing out that many wind up modifying the car they have to make it the car they wanted when they couldn't afford the first car to begin with. It happens in the hot rod circles all the time. .. As an example I've seen tricked out Ford Fairmonts, when there are few in their right mind (not that there aren't some) who would have chosen that as a platform to begin with. It just happened to be the car that they had. I've met others who couldn't NOT mod their car, no matter what they were driving. These guys have the true "hot rod spirit" and can never leave well enough alone. Their cars are never "done". .. . It's all good. Whatever anyone wants to do with his or her car is just fine. After all it's THEIRS

Waterfan

I personally chose the FiST because the FoST just seemed like too big a car, and is just not a "nimble". I never meant to imply FoST envy in my previous post, just pointing out that many wind up modifying the car they have to make it the car they wanted when they couldn't afford the first car to begin with. It happens in the hot rod circles all the time. .. As an example I've seen tricked out Ford Fairmonts, when there are few in their right mind (not that there aren't some) who would have chosen that as a platform to begin with. It just happened to be the car that they had. I've met others who couldn't NOT mod their car, no matter what they were driving. These guys have the true "hot rod spirit" and can never leave well enough alone. Their cars are never "done". .. . It's all good. Whatever anyone wants to do with his or her car is just fine. After all it's THEIRS
Exactly

The fist and fost share at least one fairly profound aftermarket component need, a true limited slip differential. If either of these cars is driven aggressively for more than ten minutes, the brakes get very hot just from torque vectoring feature alone. As a street car both are great as is. But, there is room for improvement. As far as some people never being "done" with modifying their car, I would have to wonder if they ever had any defined plan or goal to start with! I can't wrap my head around the notion of never being done with something. I would also have little interest in buying "that guys" jacked up, half baked, half primered P.O.S.

OP
Zormecteon

Zormecteon

Thread Starter #28
The fist and fost share at least one fairly profound aftermarket component need, a true limited slip differential. If either of these cars is driven aggressively for more than ten minutes, the brakes get very hot just from torque vectoring feature alone. As a street car both are great as is. But, there is room for improvement. As far as some people never being "done" with modifying their car, I would have to wonder if they ever had any defined plan or goal to start with! I can't wrap my head around the notion of never being done with something. I would also have little interest in buying "that guys" jacked up, half baked, half primered P.O.S.

Some of those guys are true craftsmen. The reason the car is never done isn't that it's a P.O.S but rather they are always finding one more thing to make better. ..Some of them don't enjoy driving the car as much as they enjoy working on it. The reason they sell the car is because they can't think of one more thing to do and they NEED another project.

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
Some of those guys are true craftsmen. The reason the car is never done isn't that it's a P.O.S but rather they are always finding one more thing to make better. ..Some of them don't enjoy driving the car as much as they enjoy working on it. The reason they sell the car is because they can't think of one more thing to do and they NEED another project.
This pretty much sums me up. I mod because it's my hobby. I work at a car dealership so it's not like I'm doing half baked boy racer mods. I just mod my car as my hobby and as a way to keep my sanity. When I run out of mods on a project (be it an rc car, real car, gun, or anything I can modify) I usually end up selling and moving on to the next thing I intend to mod the brains out of. It's almost an OCD like sickness for me. Tinkering on things makes me happy. Hence my car being a year old and on its 3rd set of wheels, 3rd turbo set up and 3rd ic set up. Nothing here is half baked just highly modified.

At the end of the day. Some of us have more time and money on our hands then we really need lol.

Don't like mechanical mods. No, the Fist isn't perfect, it has its share of compromises. But all modern cars are a complex mix of engineered systems that are difficult to improve with out messing up some aprt of the system. It's asking for trouble. Example: I doubt if there are any "performance" cars that will benefit from CAI
Having said that I'm not the person the engineers had in mind when they designed this car. (Ignoring the marketing idiots). If I had more patience I would have ordered a 2016 with A/S tires and less aggressive brake pads. But I have a used 2015 that had the summer tires and aggressive pads. I'll be feeling guilty when I put on more pedestrian tires and pads.
I guess I'll just have to do some autocross events before I detune my ST.

No, no if you run an autoX event, you'll find yourself back at the course the next weekend, the weekend after that, and so on. Before you know it, you'll have "high performance" summer tires and "track" aggressive pads. And after you've crossed that threshold there is no going back.

I repeat,

there

is

no

going

back.

No, no if you run an autoX event, you'll find yourself back at the course the next weekend, the weekend after that, and so on. Before you know it, you'll have "high performance" summer tires and "track" aggressive pads. And after you've crossed that threshold there is no going back.

I repeat,

there

is

no

going

back.
LOL
I've already been through that back in the late 70's with a Saab 99EMS (A turbo Saab without the turbo engine). I was living in Milwaukee and there was an autocross event every weekend at multiple locations. I picked up a couple of Pewter beer mugs . Loved that car but I hated being on first name basis with my repair guy.
Back to current times. Fort Wayne IN . There's only a SCCA group running Solo events on a very irregular schedule at 3 different locations. I was a regular a few years ago with a Miata. Very little competition in ES and I had crappy all-season tires. Won some glass beer mugs. I'm 66 yrs old and know that my chance at greatness are long gone. Though I do see that the ST is in HS where I compete against a lot of pedestrian FWD sedans. My main competition will be other Fist's and non turbo Mini's. Thanks for the encouragement. 1st event this year is April 24th. So I guess I'm already hooked.

Don't like mechanical mods. No, the Fist isn't perfect, it has its share of compromises. But all modern cars are a complex mix of engineered systems that are difficult to improve with out messing up some aprt of the system. It's asking for trouble. Example: I doubt if there are any "performance" cars that will benefit from CAI
Having said that I'm not the person the engineers had in mind when they designed this car. (Ignoring the marketing idiots). If I had more patience I would have ordered a 2016 with A/S tires and less aggressive brake pads. But I have a used 2015 that had the summer tires and aggressive pads. I'll be feeling guilty when I put on more pedestrian tires and pads.
I get what you're saying but this little car is no Evo X which every mod added seemed to remove some of the livability on a car that is already hard to live with.

The Fiesta isn't in that same realm and has so much potential for improvement. I personally haven't been this excited about modding a car since my Evo VIII. Which I had in my mid 20's and was living a dream.