Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Practical Weight Reduction Ideas for Daily Driver

Mikey456

O I forgot. You can remove the rear wiper and motor for a 3 lb difference. Don’t forget to buy a plug for the hole [emoji23]

TemecFist

Take it from me......this car will never be light enough to be competitive on the higher levels. I just went thru all of the stuff you are talking about (trying to make it lighter) and on top of COMPLETELY gutting the car, lighter wheels, brakes, etc, etc, you would need a CF hatch, lexan windows, remove all inner door skins and frame work, remove the dash, and the list goes one. Unfortunately, this car, no matter what you do to it, will never be light enough to be a true contender on a road course at a high level. Fine for AX or hpde or something like that, but nothing on a high level.
Do what I'm doing, build a new, dedicated track car if you want to compete on the higher levels. I just started the process of building mine last month.

OP
D
Thread Starter #25
I'm going with 15" wheels, so the only big brake kit that will fit is Whoosh's. Any idea of potential weight savings there? Has anyone actually weighed them?

OP
D
Thread Starter #26
Take it from me......this car will never be light enough to be competitive on the higher levels. I just went thru all of the stuff you are talking about (trying to make it lighter) and on top of COMPLETELY gutting the car, lighter wheels, brakes, etc, etc, you would need a CF hatch, lexan windows, remove all inner door skins and frame work, remove the dash, and the list goes one. Unfortunately, this car, no matter what you do to it, will never be light enough to be a true contender on a road course at a high level. Fine for AX or hpde or something like that, but nothing on a high level.
Do what I'm doing, build a new, dedicated track car if you want to compete on the higher levels. I just started the process of building mine last month.
Thanks for the advice, but this is just totally for shits and giggles. This is my daily driver, which is why I'm not interested in removing panels or seats or HVAC or stereo systems or sound absorption.

I've gone about as far as I can go power wise on 93, and I don't have access to ethanol nor am I interested in doing meth+water, so the next logical step to improve power/weight is to reduce weight as much as is practical.

OP
D
Thread Starter #29
I agree with Temec. It’s important to keep perspective and enjoy the car. Just for comparison the ND Miata weighs around 2300 lbs stock vs our car weighing around 2700lbs stock.
Oh no doubt. I absolutely adore this car. Every moment behind the wheel is a pleasure.

That said, I'm also really enjoying suping it up.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
On top of which, no matter how zero gravity one tries to make it, it still does have a higher cg (and other detrimental to high speed handling physical traits) than a lot of the other dedicated, usual suspect, 'go to' track weapons as well. [:(]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Wilwood DOES have some that will fit under 15" wheels, as O.D.D. Racing offers a kit with them for stage rally cars, which ALL use 15" wheels on gravel rallies. [wink]

TemecFist

Thanks for the advice, but this is just totally for shits and giggles. This is my daily driver, which is why I'm not interested in removing panels or seats or HVAC or stereo systems or sound absorption.

I've gone about as far as I can go power wise on 93, and I don't have access to ethanol nor am I interested in doing meth+water, so the next logical step to improve power/weight is to reduce weight as much as is practical.
Here, I can tell you what your real world expectations will be. I've done everything more than "practical" to lighten this car. You name it, I've done it. When I had the car corner balanced, it came out to 61% front, 49% rear with a total weight of 2860lbs. That's with a roll cage and me in the car. So without a driver and the roll cage, your looking at 2500+ lbs. A highly doubt someone can strip this car down to be under 2400lbs.....especially trying to keep it "practical". 200hp in a 2500lb car is not very impressive. To put it in perspective, the car I'm building now, is 265hp all motor, 1800lbs (with a full roll cage) and running 265 wide tires (square).
The Fiesta IS a great, fun canyon/mountain car tho.

Last edited: