Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Pros and Cons of the Fiesta's Radiators

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm looking for a upgraded radiator for my Fiesta, because now that I have AC, I'm seeing temps that are higher than I'm comfortable with. I want one that's relatively affordable and fits without too much hassle. The Whoosh radiator is out of stock currently. I've heard lots of good things about mountune and I'd definitely be opened to that even though it's more pricy. What are y'all's thoughts on what I should get?

eBay radiator (mishimoto clone) is the cheapest option but you have to do some fabrication to mount the fan shroud. It actually runs 1 degree cooler than the name brands. I helped install a buddies mountune radiator. If you want some more info let me know and I'll gladly help.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Also I just found a Koyo radiator for $544 . . .
I had a Koyo radiator on another car, and it fit perfectly and was of high quality. However, I remember reading somewhere that somebody had some issues fitting a Koyo radiator to our car, but I can't remember where I read it.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I would grab the koyo. I think in the reviews on whooshs site it says the shroud fitting was "fiddly". A dude on youtube did a video on his and loved the results and didnt mention any fitment issues.
You're right, that's where I had seen the reviews saying that the fitment on the Koyo was a bit tricky-
https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...nflo-triple-pass-radiator-2014-2019-fiesta-st

I would agree with you that it's probably a good radiator based on my experience with it on another car.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I got the Mountune one after 7yrs of owning the car even though I'd had no problems with the stock one. I had them install it too.

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #12
Im kinda torn between koyo and mountune at the moment. They all seem to perform much better than stock though. Watching the coolant temp on the fiesta in the video makes me realize how much of a difference the upgraded radiator makes.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Im kinda torn between koyo and mountune at the moment. They all seem to perform much better than stock though. Watching the coolant temp on the fiesta in the video makes me realize how much of a difference the upgraded radiator makes.
I think you and the car would ultimately be happy with either one

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #14
I think you and the car would ultimately be happy with either one
Definitely! Im leaning toward Mountune just because thereā€™s more info on it. Thanks everyone for the input, itā€™s nice to know that we have several good options

Dialcaliper

Definitely! Im leaning toward Mountune just because thereā€™s more info on it. Thanks everyone for the input, itā€™s nice to know that we have several good options
Iā€™m definitely happy with my Mountune as well. Install was super straightforward although I did have to file on the lower brackets a bit as they ended up too narrow for my fan shroud tabs. The downside is it it took a really long time from purchase to ship because they ran out before they could update the ā€œin stockā€ on the website.

I have the Mountune radiator and have family in Charlotte, NC. In mid August while pulling the steepest hills on I-81 the engine temperature never waivers from showing 4 bars. I will also note that after installing the Mountune 3 pass radiator my fuel economy increased by 4 mpg in the city and on the highway. Turns out that the 195 degree radiator supplied with the car is the IDEAL operating temperature for this engine. BTW, winter mileage in the city is not as good, these cars drink gasoline when the engine is cold and that larger radiator slows down the engine getting up to optimum temperature. As a result winter mileage is off by about 5 mpg versus summer city driving.

Tip for the Mountune radiator and this was learned from real world experience. The Mountune radiator is thicker than the factory radiator and as a result the fan shroud is moved closer to the engine. After installing the Mountune radiator look very closely at that fan shroud and make sure that it's not rubbing on any hoses anywhere. If you allow hte shroud to rub on a coolant hose at about 30,000 miles you will have a coolant leak and you'll also find the hose you need is NOT stocked at a Ford dealership. BTW, I used a bicycle tire patch and electrical tape to effect an repair while I waited for the new hose to arrive.

I was overheating and going into limp mode on the track with the stock radiator. I chose Mishimoto because it allegedly has the highest coolant volume of the aftermarket radiators, and I was looking to throw the best at the problem. In the end, it was probably irrelevant that it has a few more ounces of fluid.

The tradeoff is that you have to stuff it in. Mishimoto lists it as a 4.5 hour install, which was pretty close to true. Folks seem to be able to get the other choices in faster.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
What basis are you using to say 195 is ideal? MPG or something else? Im running a mountune and I'm trying to keep temps as low as possible. Going to swap the thermostat too.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I have the Mountune radiator and have family in Charlotte, NC. In mid August while pulling the steepest hills on I-81 the engine temperature never waivers from showing 4 bars. I will also note that after installing the Mountune 3 pass radiator my fuel economy increased by 4 mpg in the city and on the highway. Turns out that the 195 degree radiator supplied with the car is the IDEAL operating temperature for this engine. BTW, winter mileage in the city is not as good, these cars drink gasoline when the engine is cold and that larger radiator slows down the engine getting up to optimum temperature. As a result winter mileage is off by about 5 mpg versus summer city driving.

Tip for the Mountune radiator and this was learned from real world experience. The Mountune radiator is thicker than the factory radiator and as a result the fan shroud is moved closer to the engine. After installing the Mountune radiator look very closely at that fan shroud and make sure that it's not rubbing on any hoses anywhere. If you allow hte shroud to rub on a coolant hose at about 30,000 miles you will have a coolant leak and you'll also find the hose you need is NOT stocked at a Ford dealership. BTW, I used a bicycle tire patch and electrical tape to effect an repair while I waited for the new hose to arrive.

I am guessing that you meant the factory 195*F THERMOSTAT yielding the 'ideal temp' (for fuel mileage??), correct?

Yes, if/when I get around to doing an aftermarket radiator, those extra long Fram Ultra 3600 oil filters are going to become totally unusable (as they are a struggle now with the factory radiator/shroud as it is).

I just hope even the short, factory size filters do do become a problem, depending on the radiator chosen.