Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Question about warranty!

Hello, I bought my 2014 Fiesta ST used from some random dealership in Fullerton, CA. My only point in saying this is that since I didn't buy the car from a ford dealership, I do not have a ford warranty. My warranty is thru the dealership I bought the car from, and in order to get stuff fixed I need to take it to ford and they contact the dealer for my warranty and go from there. I have noticed an issue with the transmission where it grinds from 1st to 2nd under hard acceleration. I'm pretty certain that it is a synchro problem. I am also pretty certain that the car had a Cobb AP and a tune from the previous owner, as it already has a cold air intake and a cobb rear motor mount. It is my understanding that a dealership can deny a warranty claim if they suspect that what youve done to the car is the cause of the damage, and that they can detect a previous ECU flash. So, my question is, will they deny my warranty claim even though the car already had aftermarket parts and a flash tune that was un-married before I became the owner? I would really like to get this problem solved and I am afraid that they will just deny me entirely.

Thank you for your responses. I am fairly new to all of this as this is my first financed vehicle and I do not know much about warranties and dealerships and all that.

DaveG99

The warranty is good at any Ford dealership no matter where you bought the car as long as you are within the miles and time range.

OP
D
Thread Starter #3
Do you think they would deny my claim even though the car was tuned by the previous owner?

felopr

Do you think they would deny my claim even though the car was tuned by the previous owner?
depends on the kind of warranty service you are going to go after. If you are going to take the car for warranty because you feel you hear something strange in the suspension, they cant deny it because you have a cold air intake since the cold air intake is not a part of the suspension. In the other hand if you take your car for warranty because you feel the turbo has gone wrong and they found a chipped compression blade, they can deny it because they can say the aftermarket CAI didn't clean the air properly thus damaging the compressor blade. So if you take your car to check the transmission , they cant deny the warranty because you have a CAI.
IMO, the gridding is because the crap stock transmission oil, replace it with something like motul Multi DCTF

edit: forgot to say, the ECU in our cars doesnt have a flash counter like, lets say, a android phone, so ford dont know if you flash/tune the car, well they can know, but they really need to dig deep to find it, is not something you can check quick, just dont say anything if the car was tuned and fake ignorance if they ask you if the car was tune or something, well in reality, you dont know either but still, dont give them bullets to deny you is what i am trying to say

OP
D
Thread Starter #5
Hey thanks for the input! I'll definitely change the stock tranny oil and if the issue persists then now I have more knowledge of the process thanks to you. I appreciate it a lot!