Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ran out of gas with gauge at 1/4

Hi guys,

Yesterday I ran out of gas completely, but the gas gauge was still at 1/4 and I had 160km (100miles) range left. Usually the range would throw me off, but I was driving very "economically" (read: slow as hell) and I didn't think nothing of it.

Filled it up and it now shows 850km (~530miles) range left, which is way too much, so obviously something is wrong with the sender unit. I've only had the car for two months so is this a common issue (like blend door actuators) or am I just unlucky? And you can't buy just the fuel sender unit, you have to buy the whole fuel pump, is that correct? OEM only or have you had any luck with cheaper options?

I own a 2014 Fiesta ST2, 90000km (~56000miles) on the clock, completely stock.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
This is not a failure that I have heard of before on the Fiesta. I am thinking you are having a pretty unique problem. Thank you for sharing and please repost when you have found a solution.

OP
ziga034
Thread Starter #3
It's been exactly a month so here's an update. Everything fixed itself:unsure:

I was being paranoid and filling the tank at 1/2 for the whole time after the incident and everything is working fine. The amount of fuel in the tank is consistent with whats on the gauge cluster, range has gone back to normal and it's working perfectly.

That weekend I was in Croatia during a heatwave and the car was sitting in 45c (110F+) sun for a few days, so my best guess is that the tank being nearly empty and the heat messed with the sensor somehow. The next day after I got home and my car was sitting in its cold garage, everything went back to normal.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time, here's a pic of my car on the coast of Croatia:p

IMG_0394.jpg

It's been exactly a month so here's an update. Everything fixed itself:unsure:

I was being paranoid and filling the tank at 1/2 for the whole time after the incident and everything is working fine. The amount of fuel in the tank is consistent with whats on the gauge cluster, range has gone back to normal and it's working perfectly.

That weekend I was in Croatia during a heatwave and the car was sitting in 45c (110F+) sun for a few days, so my best guess is that the tank being nearly empty and the heat messed with the sensor somehow. The next day after I got home and my car was sitting in its cold garage, everything went back to normal.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time, here's a pic of my car on the coast of Croatia:p

View attachment 50909
Mine did this during a nasty heatwave last month said I had 530 miles of range after filling up. When it cooled down at night it went back to 438 miles of range. I'm thinking the heat radiating off the ground is causing pressure expansion in the tank causing the sender unit to "think it has more fuel than it does". I never did run out though as I by instinct refuel after being just under a half tank. Had older cars with floats for the fuel gauge that would have minds of there own lol, do I have 3/4 tank or do I have a near empty tank lmao. It's a very rare occurance but can happen with any modern electronic sending unit. Since the Evap system isnt active while the car is off it can't bleed off any excessive pressure. The Down side is it can wreak havoc on a worn out purge valve solenoid.

Last edited: