Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rattle/ chatter while shifting

Boro

Starting to chalk a lot of it up as just a noisy trans.
I have the 'clunks' too a bit I believe, not as JPGC has when engaging the clutch/giving gas, but only when I actually move the shifter.

It happens from 1-2 a lot, sometimes 2-3, and when I put it back in 1 at a stop it sometimes does it too. Just a semi-loud clunk, can't tell if louder with the windows down or not, though people on sidewalks seem to be able to hear it clearly (they whirl around to look).

I can't feel anything when it happens, so unless it gets any worse I'm chalking it up to a talkative trans as well. Need to check out my shifter cables when it stops raining ice..

I have an identical noise. Reading other posts, apparently there are others with this issue. Someone must have found a fix for this, it cant just be a post-break in noise. It cant. Its embarrassing. Clunk clunk.

My vote is dual mass flywheel noises. Normal stuff.
This.

I've had high performance clutch systems on most of my cars and this chatter is nothing new. Some cars will have it and others won't. I look at it as a sign of a quality clutch system. Cars make noises. Engine, tranny, suspension, wheel bearings, tire noise, aero, exhaust, intake, take it and roll with it. No stress mon:)

I know this is an old thread but when I first start my car up the first 5-10mins in low gears and at low rpms it really chatters a lot. for example leaving parking lots. its almost sounds like its coming through the base of the shifter.