Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rear end / wheels not centered?

So I just replaced the brakes on the new-to-me FiST I bought a few months ago. Pads, rotors, lines, fluid.
I also removed the cheapie shim spacers that were on the rear wheels.
When I got everything buttoned up today, I noticed that the rear wheels are not uniformly set in from the fender. I lined a straight edge against the wheel face, and got about 13mm to the fender on the passenger side, and only about 4 on the driver side.
Is there a way to fix this? Can I recenter the rear beam by un/re-bolting it? Is there any play in the way it mounts to offset it to one side or the other?

I'm attaching some shots of both sides, with measurements.
Passenger:
PXL_20210708_211137139.jpg
PXL_20210708_210753155.jpg

Driver:
PXL_20210708_211142363.jpg
PXL_20210708_210809564.MP.jpg

OP
mark_SC
Thread Starter #2
Ok... to answer my own question - it seems that the rear beam is held in place by 3 bolts per side, and the hole is elongated.
From a Spark Plug Steve video:
2021-07-08_14-47-38.jpg

Time to crawl back under the car and do the fiddly job of getting the damn thing centered.

FJ16

If the wheels/tires are identical (I know, it would be strange if they weren't), then I would assume that either you have some alignment/camber issues in the rear, or someone used parts that are non-ST replacements.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like you found it.

Last edited:

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Mine gets tweaked every now and then. My alignment guy uses some crazy long tool to move it and realign the rear beam after loosening those bolts. I thought I was the only one that had this problem. I’ve knocked it way out after accidentally getting the passenger side off the ground.

OP
mark_SC
Thread Starter #5
Mine gets tweaked every now and then. My alignment guy uses some crazy long tool to move it and realign the rear beam after loosening those bolts. I thought I was the only one that had this problem. I’ve knocked it way out after accidentally getting the passenger side off the ground.
I was thinking about the one side thing. The way you have to jack this car up (one side at a time) to get jackstands under it puts a lot of strain side-to-side. If those bolts aren't super snug, I bet it could shift just from trying to get the car in the air. I really need a Quickjack!

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I was thinking about the one side thing. The way you have to jack this car up (one side at a time) to get jackstands under it puts a lot of strain side-to-side. If those bolts aren't super snug, I bet it could shift just from trying to get the car in the air. I really need a Quickjack!
Sidenote - I have a quickjack and wish I'd just bought a 2 post lift. If you have the room, 2 post lift all day. Quickjack is decent but to me it's not any faster than a nice jack and jack stands.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Sidenote - I have a quickjack and wish I'd just bought a 2 post lift. If you have the room, 2 post lift all day. Quickjack is decent but to me it's not any faster than a nice jack and jack stands.
Glad you said this because I’ve been considering a QJ.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Glad you said this because I’ve been considering a QJ.
You still have to lay down next to the car (each side), align each side, raise them until they get really close to the car, get down and align them again unless you got it spot on the first time (but how would you know unless you laid down to check), then lift all the way up. It is fractionally better than a jack/jackstands, but not $1,000 better. I'll be selling mine and swapping to a two post lift in the winter/spring. I originally was hesitant to go with a lift since I have small kids and my paranoia for danger/injury got the best of me. However I'm comfortable with the thought now. I realize not everyone has the space but that's what I'm looking to do. Let me know if you have more QJ questions, happy to answer.