Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Regarding fitment and rubbing for 205/45/17 tires

Hey all,

I was hoping I could drop by here and hopefully get some definitive answers regarding whether or not a 205/45/17 tire would rub on the FiST under hard cornering such as the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. I know the speedometer will be off by just over 3%, which is fine to me; but the sectional and tread widths seem to be in check. I guess my main concern would be the height. The ride just shy of a full inch taller (24.3 PSS vs 23.4 oem) than our oem Potenza re050a tires and some people have reported rubbing while other have said it is totally fine.

This has left me confused to say the least. I do majority daily street driving with an intent to do SOME autocross events in the coming year, though nothing competitive and am just looking for a sticky tire that doesn't make a ton of compromise in the wet. The PSS seems to fit that bill to a T. I also understand they are far more comfortable than other available tires out there and will last awhile.

So what is the consensus on this? Anyone running a tire of this size without issue? Can I expect any rubbing aside from having to perhaps tack back the fender liner a bit?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide! :)

Stock springs, Cooper Zeon RS3, 205/45/17 - No rubbing with up to three people in the car. With four, I might have heard a very slight rub in the rear, but I haven't heard anything in the front. Street experience only, no track events or off-roading.

OP
commonplatypus
Thread Starter #5
I also have 205/45-17s on stock springs. No rubbing at all, even during spirited mountain driving.
This is great information. Thanks a ton, Hijinx! what tires are you running, by chance if you don't mind my asking?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
This is great information. Thanks a ton, Hijinx! what tires are you running, by chance if you don't mind my asking?
I have two set ups. Summer are Continental ExtremeDW and winter is ExtremeDWS 06. Neither rub. Both are on 17x7 wheels with a 42mm offset.

OP
commonplatypus
Thread Starter #7
I have two set ups. Summer are Continental ExtremeDW and winter is ExtremeDWS 06. Neither rub. Both are on 17x7 wheels with a 42mm offset.
Have you had to tack the fender liner back in any way? This is great news to me as the PSS are actually a slight bit narrower at the sectional width than your Contact DW.

OP
commonplatypus
Thread Starter #9
Not at all. Again, keep in mind that my car is not lowered.
Neither is mine, nor do I intend it to be. I MAY decide to throw some Koni Oranges on at some point to help improve the ride quality a bit, however! :)

Last question for you, then...

Can you comment on ride quality and tire performance as opposed to the stock re050a tires? Such as traction from a dig, ultimate cornering grip, ride comfort, etc? Your Continental DW are not too different from the Pilot Super Sports I intend to go with, so I think any testimonial you can give on them would be just as applicable to the PSS.

Thanks a ton for all the info, btw.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Neither is mine, nor do I intend it to be. I MAY decide to throw some Koni Oranges on at some point to help improve the ride quality a bit, however! :)

Last question for you, then...

Can you comment on ride quality and tire performance as opposed to the stock re050a tires? Such as traction from a dig, ultimate cornering grip, ride comfort, etc? Your Continental DW are not too different from the Pilot Super Sports I intend to go with, so I think any testimonial you can give on them would be just as applicable to the PSS.

Thanks a ton for all the info, btw.
No worries.

I wouldn't suggest Koni Oranges,not you are looking for overall performance. They are very good at improving ride quality, but as noted in a few places on the forum, other aspects suffer from a step backwards.

Anyway, the DW do have a softer sidewall. Even softer than my DWS 06. Comparing the two, there's a difference on turn in that favors the DWS 06. Comparing them to the OEM tires is not something I can reliably do, as I had Michelin AS/3s on OZ Ultraleggera before the two set ups I have now. At best, I could say that grip in the DW/DWS family is only slightly improved but these tires last much longer than the OEM. Turn-in and feedback are slightly reduced, less so in the DWS. Of course the taller tire provides a more slightly compliant ride.

What I can tell you with certainty is this: the DW grips enough that 360whp won't break them loose in 3rd gear. That's down to ~40*. Lower than that, and we're in Skate City, where the mayor still has some pretty good authority. Under 40Ā° the DWS 06 take their turn to shine. Obviously, 1st and 2nd gear are always gonna break the tires loose, but the DWS 06 still hold well in 3rd, even in 30Ā° we saw today. I'll know more about them when it gets colder.

I'm sorry I couldn't give you a direct comparison between the OEM and DW. The memories get fuzzy quickly with the many changes I've made.

I hope I helped a little more.

OP
commonplatypus
Thread Starter #11
No worries.

I wouldn't suggest Koni Oranges,not you are looking for overall performance. They are very good at improving ride quality, but as noted in a few places on the forum, other aspects suffer from a step backwards.

Anyway, the DW do have a softer sidewall. Even softer than my DWS 06. Comparing the two, there's a difference on turn in that favors the DWS 06. Comparing them to the OEM tires is not something I can reliably do, as I had Michelin AS/3s on OZ Ultraleggera before the two set ups I have now. At best, I could say that grip in the DW/DWS family is only slightly improved but these tires last much longer than the OEM. Turn-in and feedback are slightly reduced, less so in the DWS. Of course the taller tire provides a more slightly compliant ride.

What I can tell you with certainty is this: the DW grips enough that 360whp won't break them loose in 3rd gear. That's down to ~40*. Lower than that, and we're in Skate City, where the mayor still has some pretty good authority. Under 40Ā° the DWS 06 take their turn to shine. Obviously, 1st and 2nd gear are always gonna break the tires loose, but the DWS 06 still hold well in 3rd, even in 30Ā° we saw today. I'll know more about them when it gets colder.

I'm sorry I couldn't give you a direct comparison between the OEM and DW. The memories get fuzzy quickly with the many changes I've made.

I hope I helped a little more.
Your answer have been nothing short of fantastic!

What sort of areas do the Koni Oranges suffering in by the way? I'm good for improving the ride quality, but I don't want to do worse than OEM. Perhaps I would be better suited shelling out for the yellows or a set of proper coilovers?

What sort of areas do the Koni Oranges suffering in by the way? I'm good for improving the ride quality, but I don't want to do worse than OEM. Perhaps I would be better suited shelling out for the yellows or a set of proper coilovers?
I'm curious about the Konis as well. I've read all that I thought was out there on them but have yet to read anything negative.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran

I agree; coilovers or yellows.

It's morning, so I can't reply off the top of my head accurately. However, there are at least two threads where I've expressed my sentiments as well as others reviews. Search for Koni STR.T and you'll find it.

OP
commonplatypus
Thread Starter #14
I agree; coilovers or yellows.

It's morning, so I can't reply off the top of my head accurately. However, there are at least two threads where I've expressed my sentiments as well as others reviews. Search for Koni STR.T and you'll find it.
Hey out of curiosity, another thought hit me. Why didn't you go with 215 width on your setup? Does it rub at that size?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
NOTICE:)

Specs like 205/45/15, etc......do not show the real size of the tire except diameter of the rim, you must look for the diameter, sectional width and tread width and if really into performance weight of the tire.

Example, I have 205/45/17 Michelin PS-3 AS tires that have 7.5" tread width and would work better on a wider wheel than the 7" wheels I have them on.

There are tires listed as 225 that are not as wide, really. My 205s rub on occasion though I trimmed the fender to bumper cover mounting location.

OP
commonplatypus
Thread Starter #20
NOTICE:)

Specs like 205/45/15, etc......do not show the real size of the tire except diameter of the rim, you must look for the diameter, sectional width and tread width and if really into performance weight of the tire.

Example, I have 205/45/17 Michelin PS-3 AS tires that have 7.5" tread width and would work better on a wider wheel than the 7" wheels I have them on.

There are tires listed as 225 that are not as wide, really. My 205s rub on occasion though I trimmed the fender to bumper cover mounting location.
I was hoping you would pop in!

I have actually analyzed those particular specifications of the tire based on some of your previous posts; which have been an exceptional wealth of knowledge by the way!

Your PS-3 AS tires are actually specced EXACTLY like the PSS tire. Same sectional width, same tread width, same diameter, and same measured rim width as the PSS; but different tread depth, different Max Load, weight, and max PSI.

The reason I asked about 215/45/17 is because the only two variables in the spec sheet for that size on the PSS vs the 205/45/17 tire are sectional width (8.4" on the 215/45 vs 8.1" on the 205/45) and overall diameter; which increases from 24.3 at 205/45/17 to 24.7" on 215/45/17. Every other specification between the 215/45 is the same as the 205/45 with the exception of being 1lbs heavier and having a higher max load rating.

In what sort of scenarios do you rub? As the AS3 and the PSS are clearly very similar in size and shape, it would sound like I could get a very good idea of how they will fit for me.

Also if you wouldn't mind snapping a picture of your fender trimming to help me visualize what to do, that would be absolutely amazing of you!

For easy comparison, I took a snapshot of the PSS (Top) compared to the oem re050a (bottom). I'd love to hear your thoughts on how they would work!

2016-01-07_12-12-43.jpg