Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Reliability?

PENN

Just got a 2014 Fiesta ST.
LOVE it so far.

Just wondering how the reliability has been for those who've owned for longer?

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
It might surprise you at first but these cars make a ton of noise. You're going to hear clunking, ticking, etc.

Car is reliable though.

SPhilli911

I am slightly worried about reliability in this car, especially when I keep hearing about creeks, clunking and other noises. I plan on keeping it for a very long time, and I do have faith in the Ford brand, though. Just take care of it and it should go a while.

me32

1000 Post Club
I am slightly worried about reliability in this car, especially when I keep hearing about creeks, clunking and other noises. I plan on keeping it for a very long time, and I do have faith in the Ford brand, though. Just take care of it and it should go a while.
Whats does creeks and clunks have to do with reliability? All cars do it. Some worse than others.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Whats does creeks and clunks have to do with reliability? All cars do it. Some worse than others.
Exactly this. People have the tendency to forget that the ST is based on a supermini, b-segment platform. You may have paid up to twice what the entry-level trim cost, but as a general rule that money went into the powerplant and drivetrain-not the door panels.

Tl;dr-Don't expect luxury-class quality for entry-level class platform/price.

SPhilli911

That's just the impression I get, but no it doesn't make it true. For example, I look at my brother's 2015 GTI and get the impression that his car is built to a higher standard, yet it costs the same as my ST.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
The GTI is the next class up. Compare your FiST to a FoST and you'll get a very similar impression in regards to build quality.

OP
P
Thread Starter #11
this is good to hear (so far).

I'm concerned about annoying possible electrical problems, build-quality, engine, and transmission issues.

The base price on a new GTI is around the sticker of a fully loaded FiST, so the prices are not the same. Put some extra money in to higher quality materials in the FiST and it's base price would be the same as a GTI, or it would be a FoST.

Every car these days has the risk of electrical problems, my 2014 Explorer is a perfect example of that. The issue I had almost never happens and was just a freak thing (bent pin in the BCM harness from the factory). It can strike any car off any assembly line. Any car can also have a part problem caused by a faulty batch of parts from a 3rd party supplier. This is what recalls and TSBs are for. My point is even the highest long term quality cars can have any of the issues you have listed and there's never 100% no issues found. There's no point in driving around constantly wondering "what if." So far, the over all quality and reliability of this car has been very good with a few clicks, ticks, and squeaks. You will always hear from 100% the 1% that have issues but you only hear from 5% or less of the 99% that had no issues, so that 1% skew the results.

Me personally at 3200 miles I have had zero reliability issues. Just noise from the DMF and I got used to that, and any car with a DMF makes noise, including the VWs.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
That's actually a good example. My FiST has far more squeaks and rattles than my FoST, but my FoST is the only one to spend time at the dealership getting warranty work done so that things would operate correctly. Hell, it's there right now as they try to figure out why my hatch won't open after it's warmed up. There are also far more complaints and issues in the FoST community-hands down.

As of right now, my FiST has shown to be far more reliable than any of the new cars I've bought in the last ten years, including my $50k+ Nissan Armada. Obviously my sample-rate is small, but still true in my world. Reliability is something that we just won't have a very good picture of for a couple more years. Don't let noises immediately worry you, especially while you're in your warranty period.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
That's actually a good example. My FiST has far more squeaks and rattles than my FoST, but my FoST is the only one to spend time at the dealership getting warranty work done so that things would operate correctly. Hell, it's there right now as they try to figure out why my hatch won't open after it's warmed up.
I can actually answer the why to those very easily. The FoST is jealous of the FiST and throwing a hissy fit. I swear its true, when I signed the paperwork for the FiST, the Aveo stalled 3 times on me on the way home. Never stalled for the past 10 years.

rexdriver85

I can actually answer the why to those very easily. The FoST is jealous of the FiST and throwing a hissy fit. I swear its true, when I signed the paperwork for the FiST, the Aveo stalled 3 times on me on the way home. Never stalled for the past 10 years.
You went from an Aveo to a FiST? Dude, that's an awesome upgrade. [lovest]

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Pretty sure my FiST is going to be more reliable than all my previous old BMWs combined ha! I am a sucker for punishment

If it holds up as well as my 04 ZX5 i'll be pretty damn happy, hit 150k on the Focus before a major issue (throwout bearing). So far at 29k no issues at all and tuned from day one.

welcome to the Fiesta Family Of Grins Sir,

have about 3000 miles on mine now, broke it in softly, trans, clutch, engine, seals, gradually increasing loads with every dozen or two drives or so. I feel that gradually increasing loads and stress on a nice smooth curve will allow everything to seat into its spots nicely. I just don't like beating the hell out of a car off the lot that hasn't been beat on yet lol gotta work up to the beatings, it builds riselieance in my opinion. but to each their own.

mine is solid as hell, not a single rattle from anywhere (my ears are keen to that stuff), and the steering wheel squeaks every time I make the turn out the driveway. But you will hear a ticking noise, its a common thing, when you turn the ac on notice the noise dissapears, IDK what it is, but it poses no threat. just change the oil early if ya can.

but man I wouldn't trade this car for the world, each time I drive it, I GRIN LIKE HELL.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
You can buy a 100K mile warranty on either a FiST or a Rolls Royce.

The major difference is that if the Rolls fails, they will most likely send the mechanic to you.

Dave