Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Reliability?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
It might surprise you at first but these cars make a ton of noise. You're going to hear clunking, ticking, etc.

Car is reliable though.
I think what a lot of people fail to realize is that even Lambos make creaks, clunks and ticks.

My car's on its 2nd transmission. First one was making a rattle when in neutral. It was annoying but didn't effect the drivability. After coming into the dealership and sitting in the car with the tech because, of course, they couldn't hear it, they couldn't figure out the problem and after having it for a month they put a new tranny in. On the drive home with tranny #2 I was hearing a whining noise only in gears 3., 4, and 6 and only under load. In neutral there was nothing and letting off the gas no noise also. It's at the dealership right now. Of course they didn't hear it so I had to go in and drive with them. Last I heard they were checking the "hub and bearing". I'm not too mechanically inclined so not sure what it is. I don't have high hopes it'll be fixed though. None of this affected the driving but I shouldn't have to put up with a supercharger whine sound in certain gears. Love the car but these problems are giving me a headache.

I should add the first trans had 10k on it
So did they determine what was wrong with the trans or did they just replace it in a attempt to make you happy? I've got 30k on mine in less than a year with no issues. Does it make noise? Yes. Has the noises changed after the car was broken in? Yes. It's a economy hatch with a stiff suspension, they will make noises and they will get louder with normal wear and tear.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
So did they determine what was wrong with the trans or did they just replace it in a attempt to make you happy? I've got 30k on mine in less than a year with no issues. Does it make noise? Yes. Has the noises changed after the car was broken in? Yes. It's a economy hatch with a stiff suspension, they will make noises and they will get louder with normal wear and tear.
I agree.. Not trying to talk trash but it is a Ford Fiesta at the end of the day. All cars make noises. Some more than others. If it drives fine I don't bother getting worked up about it.

As I said, I'm not too mechanically inclined so not 100% on what it was, but they said there was something internal that couldn't be ordered by itself, so they just replaced the entire unit. I would rather have had them just fix the problem. Didn't want a new trans really but that seemed like the only thing they were able to do. I kinda get that feeling that once something has been opened and taken apart, etc. it'll never be the same so I would've liked to keep the original. The trans in it now definitely isn't making a benign noise. It's a pretty loud whine that seems like it will cause problems down the road, almost like something that should be lubed, isn't. I know cars make little noises here and there and that's ok, but this is audible over the radio and A/C. I took my friend for a ride who didn't know about the problem and he was looking around for a siren, thinking an ambulance or something was coming up.

Also, the car is now sometimes having trouble down shifting, mainly into 2nd gear around 15-20 mph. You have to wiggle it sometimes and kinda pull it more towards the 4th gear gate to get it to slide it. Doesn't do it all the time, but a good deal of the time. The tech tried to say I'm just pulling it too far sideways but the original didn't do it, and no other manual i've driven has done it and i've driven sticks most of my life.

edit: I'll try to add a youtube video of me driving it. Sorry for the quality and the iphone speaker of course doesn't pick up sound great but it should be audible. This is 1st-4th. 4th is when it's loudest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC-sX4JS5vI

From reading around the forums, the transmission issue sounds like the only really serious reliability issue that a significant number of people have reported. If you are hearing any kind of unusual sound from the transmission, I would definitely get it looked at while you are still under the powertrain warranty. And they probably won't be able to figure out what the issue is without tearing it down, so don't be afraid to push for a new tranny if it sounds like something is really wrong.

Other than that, it sounds like some of the seals may be prone to leakage, so watch for fluids under the car. Also, some people have noted the paint is really soft, which I can attest to. My FiST came with dealer installed swirls and my hood looks like swiss cheese after only a month on the road.