Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Renault Brembo Swap

OP
MattM
Thread Starter #42
can you post a photo of how you cut the mounting tab?
Before

After

I think the after shot might have been before I used a file to clean it up a bit. Definitely more I could have taken off but I didn’t feel like taking the bumper off which would have given me more room to work and get more leverage on the snips.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Is this with or without a spacer?? It might shape my wheel choices

OP
MattM
Thread Starter #45
Is this with or without a spacer?? It might shape my wheel choices
Still with a 10mm spacer. I had them try without the spacer and they said it was needed. I’d guess you could get away with a 5mm spacer now though. Much more room than before.

Come to think of it, I may sell these 10mm ones and get 5mm ones.

OP
MattM
Thread Starter #47
that looks fantastic
Thanks man. I linked everything I could throughout the thread.

I probably could have gotten away without rolling fenders by just cutting. That tab that I cut and maybe the bit of camber. At least now I should be able to lower a bit if I want especially whenever I switch to the 5mm spacers in the front [emoji2371]

Anyone know if these would fit under 16x7 ET40 Rota Grids? Also can you only get the pads from the UK or are able to buy them in the US?

OP
MattM
Thread Starter #49
Anyone know if these would fit under 16x7 ET40 Rota Grids? Also can you only get the pads from the UK or are able to buy them in the US?
I don’t think they would without spacers. I needed 10mm spacers for my titans and they were 7.5” wide and also et40, and there was very little clearance. I believe these are the same pads, which came on a Chevy cobalt that I believe had brembos from the factory as well.

SST

OP, how/why did you think the Cobalt SS pads will fit? If its indeed the same pad, would it be possible the caliper will be the same? If so, this is our cheapest option lol, i see $420 USD/pair on ebay.

OP
MattM
Thread Starter #52
OP, how/why did you think the Cobalt SS pads will fit? If its indeed the same pad, would it be possible the caliper will be the same? If so, this is our cheapest option lol, i see $420 USD/pair on ebay.
I believe the part number matched for the ebc pads. Do you have a link to those? They may be the same caliper but if they don’t mount the same, it may not work.

Also, for anyone wondering, I’ve put probably about 5k miles so far on this brake swap and have yet to have an issue.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
The cobalt ss calipers have mou ting ears like our factory caliper. Youd have to measure the spacing.
To use the bracket you need calipers like the megane setup. ( pics are on first page to see the difference.

SST

I believe the part number matched for the ebc pads. Do you have a link to those? They may be the same caliper but if they don’t mount the same, it may not work.
What do u mean by same caliper but dont mount the same?

here are some links for Cobalt caliper from ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2008-1...927671&hash=item1e8d3254fb:g:8JYAAOSwewJTn2i4
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2008-1...700960?hash=item2f507aff60:g:3SMAAOSwcUBYUCZZ
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-10-Ch...941308?hash=item19ff643b7c:g:zq4AAOSwEOxXPxQE

PunkST

2000 Post Club
^ look at the renault megane brembo setup and how the adapter blocks mount the caliper to the knuckle.

Now look at the cobalt ss setup.
Youll need to measure the ears, and a bunch of other points to use the cobalt calipers. The mounts may not even line up with the points on the knuckle of our cars. A lot of dimensions nees to be considered. But hey. Its your money.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The cobalt calipers will not work unless those tabs on the cobalt caliper match up with the fiesta knuckle. They do not attach the same way as the megane brembos.

OP
MattM
Thread Starter #57
Sorry, just got off work a little while ago, but yeah, exactly what the two people above me said. If you want to order them and find out, that would make this much easier for a lot of people, but I have a feeling things won’t be that easy.

Finished the install today and drove the car around. Feels absolutely awesome. The car stops wonderfully and this was definitely worthwhile since I had to change my pads and rotors out anyway.
How's the pedal travel? Researching this swap and did the math on piston diameters, Brembos will have almost double the piston area from stock so pedal travel will be longer.

Can put this together for about $1100 using all new parts, not bad for Brembo upgrade.
1) reuses factory brake line or any aftermarket braided line kit for ST.
2) uses any off the shelf 300mm rotor for Focus SVT, heavier than aluminum top-hatted type but cheap and readily available.
3) pads specific to Renault Megane/Clio but readily available in US.
4) 15mm? spacer required with factory wheels.

Last edited:
OP
MattM
Thread Starter #60
How's the pedal travel? Researching this swap and did the math on piston diameters, Brembos will have almost double the piston area from stock so pedal travel will be longer.

Can put this together for about $1100 using all new parts, not bad for Brembo upgrade.
1) reuses factory brake line or any aftermarket braided line kit for ST.
2) uses any off the shelf 300mm rotor for Focus SVT, heavier than aluminum top-hatted type but cheap and readily available.
3) pads specific to Renault Megane/Clio but readily available in US.
4) 15mm? spacer required with factory wheels.
It’s been a year since I drove my car with stock brakes, but the pedal travel doesn’t feel longer at all. I recently drove my buddy’s car (Rocketst) that still had stock brakes and the travel distance felt about the same. Hope this helps.