Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Retarded climate control

Hey all.

I have a '16 ST with what seems to be completely retarded climate control. If I set it to auto at 85, it can often blast frigid air when I know the car is not 85 degrees inside. I was just wondering if others had the same experience. I don't want to have to keep shuttling back to the dealer to fix this if it's just a characteristic of the product.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

--jody.

OP
jodyr
Thread Starter #3
The thing is, mine doesn't stop. It keeps blasting the cold air. I'll let it go for awhile in the hopes that it will eventually stop, but it doesn't. I want the car to be 85, and it seems like it's trying to make the car 35. So, I turn the fan down and take it out of auto mode, and then it starts acting semi-normally at that point. But if I hit auto again, it goes back to blasting cold air.

JasonHaven

I've had this... I generally have mine set to Auto-70. Get in the car, and I know it's colder than 70, and it turns the a/c on and blasts cold air. It'll warm the air up after a while of driving, but still keep the a/c on for no reason.

Well ok, guess I'll control it manually then.

OP
jodyr
Thread Starter #5
I figured it was buggy by default and that there isn't much use asking the dealer to fix it.

GAbOS

Before your car can make hot air, it has to warm up or get hot itself. Turning on your blowers too early can actually slow that down for the split minute it is acting as a water cooler.

Run your car for a few miles and then tun it on. You will get a quick blast of cold air at max it feels like then it ramps down. This is normal. Hot air comes next ;>

I made sure I got the heated seats/mirrors for this reason. I like to get in and go, but am mindful of such facts above. Helps in my area.

OP
jodyr
Thread Starter #7
Thanks for chiming in. It's happening to me even when the car is thoroughly warmed up.

The climate control in my '16 pisses me off. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it holds 10F hotter or cooler than what I have set, sometimes it gets stuck blowing full hot or cold until I stop and restart the car. I figured it was a terrible attempt at automating something that didn't need it.

GAbOS

Thanks for chiming in. It's happening to me even when the car is thoroughly warmed up.
Of course. That pulse of 'Max Cold Air' is the system pushing it out first.

Household water works the same way really. That water has been sitting a long time in those pipes after the heater to the faucet.

OP
jodyr
Thread Starter #10
Maybe I didn't describe the problem clearly enough. Set to auto 85, the cold air pulse was well over a minute long before I pulled the plug. I can't imagine it taking that long to flush the ducts in that little car.

GAbOS

After reading between the lines a bit..

You all realize this isn't a Maybach with 50 sensors for temperature alone, right?

Cheapest but:anything ratio evAr

GAbOS

Maybe I didn't describe the problem clearly enough. Set to auto 85, the cold air pulse was well over a minute long before I pulled the plug. I can't imagine it taking that long to flush the ducts in that little car.
That does sound a bit long. More testing required.

Find a single source to record conditions and try everything! Sounds dumb but data is king.

OP
jodyr
Thread Starter #13
Yep. That's exactly what I thought too, which is why I haven't called the dealership. It works well enough in manual mode, it's just kind of a joke as an automatic system.

OP
jodyr
Thread Starter #14
I'm not going to bother with all that. It works well enough in manual. I don't want to waste time trying to get the dealer to handle it.

GAbOS

Agreed.

Basic con control has gotten a gloss over and worse since the 80's. I would prefer the long throw recirculate swich to what we have now.

I also have a '16 and my auto temp seems to work. I keep it at 70 and it doesn't turn the air on until the car is warmed up and then starts blasted it in. Once it's all heated up it stops blasting and just keeps it right around 70.

my 2014 i just bought doesn't do crap in auto mode. it just barely moves air through the ducts at slightly warmer than ambient temperature. even in manual mode if i want my hands to not be cold i have to turn it up to 85*, which is ridiculous. it seems to me the sensor in the car thinks that the interior is way warmer than it really is, which i think somebody else had already said. also, when your auto mode IS functioning right, does it show on the panel what it is doing? like, where it's blowing air from and the fan speed, because mine never shows anything..???

yeah common 16 issue google searches tell me. one dude on another forum apparently had his replaced 3 times and now hes pursuing a lemon law claim.

impression he got from his experience is that ford has no idea what the problem is.