Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rev's in 4th gear?

So now it's happened twice. I'll be driving along, shift into 4th and it just revs. I've double checked and it's definitely in gear. I push the clutch in and out then it catches and accelerates. This is just cruising with rpm at 2-3k rpm. Anyone else have this problem?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
The car is accelerating on it's own? Or does it seem like the gear, or clutch, isn't catching? Need more details.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Never had this problem. Do you have any short shift mods by any chance? Maybe something is preventing the shift cable from engaging properly. Just a guess. If not I'd still check everything and bring it in to the dealer

OP
hot_hatch
Thread Starter #4
It's in gear and I give it gas and it just revs....right after I shift to 4th. Then I push the clutch in and release, then I can give it gas and it will accelerate.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Sound like the clutch is not disengaging but why only 4th gear, rather odd if that is the case.

Do you still have your hand on the shifter, applying pressure towards 4th, when recycling the clutch?

Or perhaps not realizing you are releasing tension on the shifter before the clutch is all the way out?

Does it do it all the time or on occasion, you will need to replicate it for the dealer so best to either be driving with one of their people in the car or at least be riding in it.

In the mean time if not already done take it out and focus on making a solid shift, clutch in all the way, shifter all the way into position and hold it there, release clutch all the way, add more throttle input (try it while releasing the clutch and after it so see if any difference) If the problem goes away then you will need to shift more deliberately but also there could still be a bit of an issue with the car.

OP
hot_hatch
Thread Starter #6
Okay so it happened twice on the way to work today. 4th gear only. Shifted and it just revved when I gave it gas. Also sounded like a lose bearing/rattle type noise and the shifter had a very slight vibration in it. Cycling the clutch didn't work this time. I had to put a little pressure on the shifter and cycle the clutch, then it worked. I do have the Boomba shifter and trans adapter. But it's been in for almost a year and this is the first problem I'm having.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Looks like you need to inspect the shiffter and see if anything is loose, something keeping it from full throw, etc....also if the cables are adjustable check them, not sure if they are, been some time since I did the DIY setup I have.