Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Whistle Noise in 4th

Fugy

Hey guys,

Im new to the FiST have a weird issue that has stumped both the dealer and an independent shop. Whenever the car is in 4th and pressing on the gas, it makes a whistle noise. This doesn’t happen in any other gear, even going the same speed, it is only in 4th. The whistle seems to get louder with the RPM. I’ve tried checking everywhere online and can’t find any kind of noise like it.

I don’t know if it’s an issue or not, but any insight into what I should check would be appreciated!

Here’s the noise:
View: https://youtu.be/ImDJSbv9B_w

Does it get louder or softer depending on the rpm or boost? U running a tune or have you modified anything related to the turbo?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Oh you already said it gets louder, it may be getting louder depending on the boost. Try doing a 4th gear pull from a low rpm and see if it gets louder when the boost kicks in and see if you notice any change in power

OP
F

Fugy

Thread Starter #5
Oh you already said it gets louder, it may be getting louder depending on the boost. Try doing a 4th gear pull from a low rpm and see if it gets louder when the boost kicks in and see if you notice any change in power

It looks like it does get even more high pitched the higher the RPM and when the boost kicks in. I haven’t modified anything turbo wise, and not running a tune currently

Erilaz

Any update on this? I'm having the exact same issue. Same noise, only in fourth gear and increases with throttle. No idea what it could be yet.

Since the concern seems to only happen when you are in 4th gear, I would highly suspect either gear whine/whistle or a bearing concern in the trans.

slopoke

If it's a boost leak, you should hear it in any gear. It might be an issue regarding the transmission. When I had a boost leak, it would leak when going into boost and stop when coming out of boost in any gear.

yeah its 100% transmission related :( hoping i can quiet it down a little by swapping to trans fluid, if not i cant afford to get it fixed so up for sale it will go :cry:. I got 2 months left of warranty tho so hopefully i can find a decent dealer to do the work.

Last edited:

Erilaz

yeah its 100% transmission related :( hoping i can quiet it down a little by swapping to trans fluid, if not i cant afford to get it fixed so up for sale it will go :cry:. I got 2 months left of warranty tho so hopefully i can find a decent dealer to do the work.
I took mine to a dealer after my post in august, they replaced the transmission under warranty, so get it in and looked at ASAP before that runs out. Tech said I had a broken tooth and damage to all gear faces from debris.

I took mine to a dealer after my post in august, they replaced the transmission under warranty, so get it in and looked at ASAP before that runs out. Tech said I had a broken tooth and damage to all gear faces from debris.
any chance you still have the paperwork from the initial diagnostic? would be nice to be able to provide your dealers solution in case they tell me some nonsense like "thats normal drivetrain noise"