Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

rodmoe's Blue by You Build

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
This may seem like a dumb question..... But... Won't the engine get a lot of rain on it when... It rains? Lol.

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #465
Rod did you reinstall the under-hood insulation ?
This may seem like a dumb question..... But... Won't the engine get a lot of rain on it when... It rains? Lol.
Not too worried about rain as it won't see much of that and I think moost things are pretty weather proof even if it does and the air intake is moved to the cowling area and the rest are just wires and hoses..
No I did not put the insulation back in it has been out since last summer.

How much of the PITA was cutting out the grill like that? I need to get some dremel time with my grill like yours once I get the DHM crash bar.

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #467
How much of the PITA was cutting out the grill like that? I need to get some dremel time with my grill like yours once I get the DHM crash bar.
It took 2-3 hours with a 5 inch orbital sander and 80 grit paper. I thought of going the dremel way too but a sander option worked better for me at this time (needed a new one anyways).. I would guess with the dremel you will have less mess than I did with all the black plastic dust and what not.. Pics of when you decide to do it would be great too..

Chuckable

Is your battery relocated? Your pictures inspired me to pretend I had the guts to cut my stock hood up. I looked underneath, trying to picture where the vents would sit above the engine and the left side looks like it would be right over the battery?

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #470
So basically grinding down the back side of it until it's thin enough. interesting way to do it.
Yes taking away material till the little hex's fall out of the grill there is plenty to work with and left when you are done. then just touch the edges up with a dremel or file to clean the edges ..

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #471
Is your battery relocated? Your pictures inspired me to pretend I had the guts to cut my stock hood up. I looked underneath, trying to picture where the vents would sit above the engine and the left side looks like it would be right over the battery?
The battery is stock location but my air intake is not stock so there is a lot of open space tween the rad and the battery. on the other side it is over the intake and engine head. I keep the plastic engine cover thingy for show and leave it off when tracking the car now.. As well as a small battery inplace of the 29lb beasty that came with the car when tracking and bring along the stock battery as a spare just incase the lil one gets flakey ..

Sounds like a faster and easier method than my idea of dremeling them out one by one. Guess I will be doing it with a sander than.

Chuckable

The battery is stock location but my air intake is not stock so there is a lot of open space tween the rad and the battery. on the other side it is over the intake and engine head. I keep the plastic engine cover thingy for show and leave it off when tracking the car now.. As well as a small battery inplace of the 29lb beasty that came with the car when tracking and bring along the stock battery as a spare just incase the lil one gets flakey ..
It would be horrible to get to a track and not be able to start the car! Any change you could take a pic with the hood up and with it closed, then transpose the images? That way everyone could see exactly where the vents sit in relation to the parts below. [pics?]

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #474
It would be horrible to get to a track and not be able to start the car! Any change you could take a pic with the hood up and with it closed, then transpose the images? That way everyone could see exactly where the vents sit in relation to the parts below. [pics?]
If i was a photoshop wiz kid maybe but alas i am not. I could provide said pics if anyone wanted ..

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #479
I did this in literally 10 seconds so don't hate lol...

Thats pretty cool next time ill try for a top down view as this kind makes the vents seem a bit further back as they start about where the radiator starts but still a cool view Thanks

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
You gotta put your camera on a tripod then take pics with the hood open and then closed to get an accurate superposition. I did the same thing on my mustang.