Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Running FiST with E85 Blends - Discussion Thread

Gearbox88m

Active Duty U.S. Army
If you find an upgraded pump, let people know because one doesn't exist.

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk
You can buy a new OEM in tank pump/hanger and the same e85 AEM pump and save approx $150.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Hey guys. I'm (hopefully) gonna be able to flash my E30 tune soon for the first time, but my gas station has a seperate pump on the other end of the lot, like 30 feet away. What do you recommend I do in terms of mixing gas? Pump 3 gallons of E85 and drive to the other end of the lot to fill with regular gas, or do the E85 last and then flash the tune. I thought you were supposed to do ethanol first though...

Erick_V

Pump 3 gallons of E85, drive to the other side and fill on 93 then change your tune. Give it 5 minutes for the mix to get in the rails and enjoy your newly found torque

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
So it had been awhile since I've had to fill up a blend, and I'm sure this has already been discussed since so many of us are running it, but I had to go through the ratios at the station and figured I'd share for those that are new to blending at the station. Freektune used to have a cheatsheet that I used to use back in the day.

We have a approximately a 12.4 gallon fuel tank. Dizzy's recommended for E30 is about 3 gallons to a full tank. That breaks out to about 4.13 gallons of E10 for every 1 gallon of E85.

Using the fuel level gauge on the accessport, it put me at about 30% fuel at the time of fill up which means I had about 8.5 (I'm rounding) gallons to fill up. So with a 4:1 ratio I filled up about 2.25 gallons of E85, which should have left around 6 gallons of E10.

I know the car can handle higher concentrations, and that the ethanol content in E85 can vary, at least filling up with similar ratios could mitigate one more variable.

So, to summarize.
E10:E85

Near empty 9:3
1/4 tank 6.75:2.25
1/3 tank 6:2
1/2 tank 4.5:1.5
2/3 tank 3:1

This should be fine for people running conservative E85 tunes.

Last edited:

DEss

So it had been awhile since I've had to fill up a blend, and I'm sure this has already been discussed since so many of us are running it, but I had to go through the ratios at the station and figured I'd share for those that are new to blending at the station. Freektune used to have a cheatsheet that I used to use back in the day.

We have a approximately a 12.4 gallon fuel tank. Dizzy's recommended for E30 is about 3 gallons to a full tank. That breaks out to about 4.13 gallons of E10 for every 1 gallon of E85.

Using the fuel level gauge on the accessport, it put me at about 30% fuel at the time of fill up which means I had about 8.5 (I'm rounding) gallons to fill up. So with a 4:1 ratio I filled up about 2.25 gallons of E85, which should have left around 6 gallons of E10.

I know the car can handle higher concentrations, and that the ethanol content in E85 can vary, at least filling up with similar ratios could mitigate one more variable.

So, to summarize.
E10:E85

Near empty 9:3
1/4 tank 6.5:2.5
1/3 tank 6:2
1/2 tank 4.5:1.5
2/3 tank 3:1

This should be fine for people running conservative E85 tunes.
That's a 3:1 ratio you're using so maths for 1/4 tank should be 6.75:2.25.

FWIW i use a 2:1 ratio so far as my 91 tested at only 5%. I have an app where i enter my numbers and get the amounts to pump. I usually go 4.2 e85 and 8.2 for 91. Runs great.

Erick_V

What would happen to the car if you ran a E30 tune and you mix it wrong?
How wrong? It would be worse to run an e30 tune on 93 than the other way around. If you run too much e85 I’d assume you would lean out. I run 3.75gal e85/8gal 93. The e85 content at my station is ~74%.

What would happen to the car if you ran a E30 tune and you mix it wrong?
There's a margin of error on this, so it doesn't have to be E30 exactly. Now that being said, if you run something like 9 gallons vs 3 or something, then you'd lean out. I usually give it a tad more than the 3 gallons (3.5ish), I'd rather be a little over than under on the mix.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Is current ethanol mix if I'm filling up on top of an E30 fill? Also if doing E30 on top of 93, does this box get the 10% or 0? As there is already a box for gas ethanol. Sometimes simple concepts are lost on me.

Attachments

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Is current ethanol mix if I'm filling up on top of an E30 fill? Also if doing E30 on top of 93, does this box get the 10% or 0? As there is already a box for gas ethanol. Sometimes simple concepts are lost on me.
A Simple way to fill up.... 8 gallons of 93 oct....then 3 gallons of e85. This includes the 1/2 to 1 gallon of current gas in the tank for our 12ish gallon system.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
A Simple way to fill up.... 8 gallons of 93 oct....then 3 gallons of e85. This includes the 1/2 to 1 gallon of current gas in the tank for our 12ish gallon system.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
I assume if sticking to this method I dont have to compensate for whats left in the tank preloading the mix? Alleviating the need to clear with 91/93 after a set number of tanks? If so I like it! Apologies I am going cross eyed tonight trying to tackle all the things I struggle to comprehend fuel and accessport wise.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Current Ethanol mix is the ethanol content of what's currently in the tank.

If I'm running 93 this stays at 10%. If I'm on E30 it goes to 30%

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I assume if sticking to this method I dont have to compensate for whats left in the tank preloading the mix? Alleviating the need to clear with 91/93 after a set number of tanks? If so I like it! Apologies I am going cross eyed tonight trying to tackle all the things I struggle to comprehend fuel and accessport wise.
You're making it complicated.

I've added up to an extra gallon of E85 (for 4 gallons) on my E30 tune and the only thing I could measure is that torque dropped a tad, and my HP went up a tad. The thresholds of error for what is safe is pretty broad. Just keep an eye on your OAR gauge and if it's still -1.00 you should be fine.

CSM

1000 Post Club
You're making it complicated.
^^^ This.

I see you are running Dizzy Tune @akiraproject24 . I used to run those tunes when I had OEM turbo. He even mentions in your tunes e-mail that for E30, just drive to about 1/8 a tank, add 3 gallon E85, top off with 93. I did that for a year and never had an issue. Easy Peasy. That tune from Dizzy has variance built in to accommodate a range of ethanol content.

If you're still worried just monitor OAR + IGN CORR on your AP

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
^^^ This.

I see you are running Dizzy Tune @akiraproject24 . I used to run those tunes when I had OEM turbo. He even mentions in your tunes e-mail that for E30, just drive to about 1/8 a tank, add 3 gallon E85, top off with 93. I did that for a year and never had an issue. Easy Peasy. That tune from Dizzy has variance built in to accommodate a range of ethanol content.

If you're still worried just monitor OAR + IGN CORR on your AP
I'm gonna do like this. Ive seen vids with spread sheets and what not. Seeing that I didnt even bother trying my E30 tune last year. Car garaged for winter but....will run as suggested here. I guess I can then use the calculator if for some reason I choose to fill up with more in the tank. Appreciate the advice here.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I'm gonna do like this. Ive seen vids with spread sheets and what not. Seeing that I didnt even bother trying my E30 tune last year. Car garaged for winter but....will run as suggested here. I guess I can then use the calculator if for some reason I choose to fill up with more in the tank. Appreciate the advice here.
Just divide the ratio. So if you're at half a tank it should be about 1.5 gallons of e85 and the rest high octane. I tend to err on more e85 than less when in doubt. I'll make a point to run the tank close to empty every now and then to reset the ratio to avoid ethanol concentrations from creeping too high.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk