Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sense makes no πŸ€”

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Key fob only seems to work with the original battery.
I say "original" however I'm sure I've replaced it once before.
Current battery is an Energizer brand CR2032, measuring in around 2.8v.
I replaced with a KTS brand measuring in at 3.1v and nothing. Removed and reinserted twice. Measured power from the contact at the back lid; all good.
I then tried a Panasonic brand measuring in at 3.3v and still nothing. Removing and reinserting twice didn't help there either.
Reinserted original battery and the remote works again.
Um, what logical sense does this make? 😢

That's odd. My first replacement I used Amazon brand, second was a Duracell. Never had your issue. Maybe it's an issue with the fob itself?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
lol my car has been telling me to replace the key battery for the past 3 years :ROFLMAO:
As soon as this popped up on the screen I replaced it that very same hour with a fresh Energizer 2032.

But it had been showing signs of dying even before the message started showing (multiple presses to get it to lock/unlock, shorter distances needed to function, etc.).

As soon as this popped up on the screen I replaced it that very same hour with a fresh Energizer 2032.

But it had been showing signs of dying even before the message started showing (multiple presses to get it to lock/unlock, shorter distances needed to function, etc.).
my key is far from dead though, still 1-clicking at pretty good distances.
just my car thinking it is :whistle:

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
That's odd. My first replacement I used Amazon brand, second was a Duracell. Never had your issue. Maybe it's an issue with the fob itself?
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

If it ain't broke, why fix it? :unsure:
Maybe you should try another new Energizer brand.
Console was telling me the battery is low and I hate warning lights. (note the word, "was" LoL) ...and before you say it, I don't want black tape messing up my screen LoL.

lol my car has been telling me to replace the key battery for the past 3 years :ROFLMAO:
I've found inexpensive replacements for my family's car remotes over the years on Amazon. If forced to buy dealership and they're still $400, I may well be left with "tuning out" the warnings and dings. My second fob will remain an unused backup.

Is the battery inserted properly? Not reversed poles?
I even checked and rechecked battery thicknesses and types to see whether there was any discrepancies there. The contacts had no corrosion and were properly adjusted but I bent them even more just to make extra extra sure they were making contact, post assembly.

Could be coincidence that it started working with the original battery, or for some reason it doesn't like anything over 3v now. I'll be trying the Panasonic battery again, before buying an Energizer. I'll be even more perplexed if it only works with an Energizer brand though...

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Last edited:
Bizarre. So you took out the low battery, installed new battery, tested, and it didn't work. You reinstall the used battery and it works?

Did you test the new battery in your second fob? Or move the battery from fob 2 into fob 1?

The CR2032 has to be bad. It must read 3 volts static but has an issue under any kind of load. If the fob works with the used battery, the battery has to be at fault.

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
Was expecting it to come back but aven't seen the low battery warning since the "original" 2.8v battery was reinserted.v So I've just left in. I'll pursue this again once the warning icon pops up again; and post-up.

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
Warning icon finally came back. Energizer brand inserted. Works.
Had half a mind to disassemble and reinsert one of the other two brands to see whether it would again cease working but was short on time and thought it best to leave well enough alone.