Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Signs of a failing cat, FiST specific?

Almost all of my driving is surface streets instead of highway (in the fist) so I hadn't really paid that much attention to it, but after i started getting gas in my oil i started going on long drives to test freeway-only mileage, built up a consistent set of data and went back to the dealership.
Having read the wealth of information you’ve personally put on this forum, I just never would’ve expected something as getting less than 200 miles on a tank of gas to get past someone like you, you tend to seem more meticulous than that...

I suppose I just find it a bit humorous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #22
Having read the wealth of information you’ve personally put on this forum, I just never would’ve expected something as getting less than 200 miles on a tank of gas to get past someone like you, you tend to seem more meticulous than that...

I suppose I just find it a bit humorous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
well full disclosure, I bought the fist so I could flat foot it around everywhere without going fast enough to wind up in jail, so fuel economy was not really on my radar until I was trying to diagnose fuel in my oil :)

the fist lends itself well to driving like a dickhead, and since I work odd hours the roads are always empty ;)

I am dealing with the same problem... kind of. I was on strat tune `cracks and popples and aoas i got a p0420 code and after that my car reaks of exhaust fumes. I have been getting check engine lights with and without the tune. I do not know what the problem is

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #27

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Have you personally run the stuff? It’s interesting at least. Might give it a whirl. If you’ve tested it personally please share your thoughts!
I have used it in many peoples vehicles that get the dreaded P0420 code. It has worked numerous times if you FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. I always try this before anything else like replacing the Catalytic converter.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #29
I have used it in many peoples vehicles that get the dreaded P0420 code. It has worked numerous times if you FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. I always try this before anything else like replacing the Catalytic converter.

ok rad. Ordered a few bottles on amazon. My brain is so tempered against fuel additives that I kinda recoiled at the thought. If the cat was easier to get to I’d pull it and solvent-clean it manually but jeebus that cats up in there.

just found out that it’s in stock around the corner from me - might just take a personal day and go grab some tomorrow because I’m at a quarter tank right now which is when they suggest adding it. Hm a day to myself dicking with the car and playing overwatch sounds good to me :p

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #30
I’ll have to dig out my obd2 scanner and check - but does anyone know if you can do a live read of the fists exhaust pressure sensor?

I have an access port but I don’t think it can read data until after I marry it to the car and I don’t want to do a reflash when I might have to go back to the dealer.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #31
Ok, so my generic obd2 scanner said no stored or active codes.
I dug out my accessport and found that I can check codes without marrying it. Found p0035 stored but no current cel.
I’m doing some reading on it and it looks like diverter valve issues could factor into it, but it also looks like high exhaust pressure could be a factor. A plugged up cat could cause high exhaust pressure, so I’m eager to get the cataclean stuff and see what happens.
My dv noise has been way more “Turkey like” recently so maybe my dv took a shit too.
Surprised the Cobb found a code when the obd scanner didn’t.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #32
I dug out my accessport and found that I can check codes without marrying it. Found p0035 stored but no current cel.
I’m doing some reading on it and it looks like diverter valve issues could factor into it, but it also looks like high exhaust pressure could be a factor. A plugged up cat could cause high exhaust pressure, so I’m eager to get the cataclean stuff and see what happens.
My dv noise has been way more “Turkey like” recently so maybe my dv took a shit too.
looks like I should check the boost solenoid while I’m at it. I found pics of the solenoid but not quite it’s orientation. Is thesolenoid accessed from above or below?

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
Below its right next to the Turbsky!
It’s all connected and I think I hear it click when I turn on the ignition. Removed and reconnected the connector anyways though.

reseated dv connector. It’s cracked, I can’t find a replacement connector for it :| but the dv sounds like it’s doing it’s job. If the dv wasn’t connecting I believe I’d be getting a cel instead of a stored code though.

wasn’t able to run the cataclean, forgot I filled up with gas yesterday. Maybe dumb question, but... if it says one bottle to 3-4 gallons, any reason not to do 2 bottles to 6-7 gallons?

Last edited:
OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #35
Ok so after reseating everything, car feels fine, flutter gone at first. The wires to the dv looked “stretched”. Drove around gently and dv worked fine, nice and quiet no flutter back to the stock “Darth Vader” sound. After a hard pull, the dv seems to be disconnected.

I can’t for the life of me think of why the dv wires look stretched- the harness right there is all bound to the engine, as is the turbo and all the other wires, right? So even if the engines rocking, it shouldn’t be pulling on the connector?

I may swap my turbo smart back on and see if the extra long cable relieves the strain enough to be happy while I figure out what I’m in for to replace the harness with the DV connector I cracked.

as far as the cataclean, exhaust sound is cleaning up, sounding less crackly and it barfed our a couple good clouds of garbage. Car already smells better exhaust wise, even though I added the cataclean to a half tank instead of a quarter. I have another bottle on hand, and 2 more bottles coming, so it’ll be nice and clean in a week or so.

now, to figure out how to replace that connector for the dv. Can’t find a part anywhere, and I’m going to guess swapping the harness will be awful. Maybe there’s a dv plug extender I can rape for a fitting.
I own the cracked connector, that’s on me. It snaps in securely and fits well, but it feels like it’s being pulled on under hard acceleration.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It’s all connected and I think I hear it click when I turn on the ignition. Removed and reconnected the connector anyways though.

reseated dv connector. It’s cracked, I can’t find a replacement connector for it :| but the dv sounds like it’s doing it’s job. If the dv wasn’t connecting I believe I’d be getting a cel instead of a stored code though.

wasn’t able to run the cataclean, forgot I filled up with gas yesterday. Maybe dumb question, but... if it says one bottle to 3-4 gallons, any reason not to do 2 bottles to 6-7 gallons?
Follow the DIRECTIONS* just wait until you're down in gallons

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #37
Follow the DIRECTIONS* just wait until you're down in gallons

I was eager!!!

update - I reassembled my car harness side dv connector with uv curing resin and a uv laser. It’s working for right now, no more turkey gobble sounds (kinda liked it)

did a few wot pulls and after a few it stopped blowing black gunk out the tailpipe. Exhaust still smells like solvents (Duh) but the rotten egg smell is gone already.

tomorrow I’m dropping off my turbosmart dv at a shop that does high temp 3D printing so they can make some molds and scans to see if they can fab up a 3D printed 2 piece connector so I can snap or glue it together around the stock harness pigtail for a longer term solution. It won’t be a permanent solution but I can’t find the data sheet for the resin I used so I don’t know how long it’ll live in that dv connector.

whew. So, dv issue I didn’t know about temporarily resolved, the gunk is coming out of my cat (thanks for the cleaner recommendation!) and my car smells a lot better. As it blew more crap out it felt smoother and smoother. After I run it to empty I’ll throw in 3.5 gallons and another bottle of cleaner to do it “right”.

now I need to figure out why my obd2 scanner doesn’t see hardly any of the fist oid’s and why It never showed the diverter stored code. At least now I know I can use the Cobb as a scan tool without marrying it.

Last edited:

PunkST

2000 Post Club
What constitutes a high pressure?? Roughly what psi is what i mean. Thay way i can monitor mine and see whats up.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #39
What constitutes a high pressure?? Roughly what psi is what i mean. Thay way i can monitor mine and see whats up.
Wasn’t able to find that sensor to monitor - my obd scanner didn’t list an oid, and I didn’t want to marry the Cobb.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Ahh. I know the AP lists it once married. Didnt know it wont if its not.